San Pedro CA hotel recent review?

Princess18

I believe she's talking about the BW which is a DIVE!

We are staying at the best western San Pedro. Heard that it had been remodeled . Please tell me this is not a dive. If so I need to rethink our plans. :eek:Thanks for any help. Has any one stayed there recently? We need 3 rooms, 2 which need to have the cruise and park package. Thanks for any help. Sandy

On the 22nd of Sept we stayed at the Crown Plaza Hotel. Was our 5th visit and we used their Park and Sail program.

We received a coupon for two cocktails and and another coupon for a buffet style breakfast the next day. Also, they provided shuttle service to the port and was sitting there when we got off the ship.

We stayed in a Corner Suite on the 9th floor. The unit was very clean and in good shape. Was not bitten by any type of bugs.:D

From the window facing the Port I watched the Coral Princess depart at 4:30 P.M on Tuesday and then watched the Golden Princess arrive at 6:30 A.M.

Would recommend this Hotel to anyone departing on a Cruise from San Pedro.

Bob

I have booked the best western, it looks very nice. Reading reviews on Trip A and other sites rank the hotel higher than the Crowne. I have read the area may be a bit sketchy, but I don't plan on taking a stroll at nite.

I have booked the best western, it looks very nice. Reading reviews on Trip A and other sites rank the hotel higher than the Crowne. I have read the area may be a bit sketchy, but I don't plan on taking a stroll at nite.

I currently have a reservation at the Crowne but I was pleasantly surprised reading all the great reviews on the Best Western Plus. The reviews are WAY better than the Crowne, includes free breakfast, has the free transfer to the cruise port, has coffee in the lobby 24/7, and is way less expensive than the Crowne. The only downside I can see is its distance to the waterfront and lack of as many restaurants in the area compared to the Crowne. There are a number of fast food places nearby as well as the favorably rated Gaffney Street diner about 2 1/2 blocks away, There is also liquor store closeby for those who might be interested. The price is a serious one hundred dollars less than the Crowne for my sailing.

If anyone has walked to the waterfront or taken a cab, I would love to know how it went.

If you are driving, and want to leave your car, The Crowne Plaza is great. We have stayed there many times, and have had no problems, including very fast pickup when you get back. There are many good restaurants nearby, and we walk all over. The underground parking is a plus for us.

The park and sail package has gone up in price, to $229, but if you are going on a longer cruise, it is very economical.

has any one stayed at the best western in SanPedro? We have booked it because it has king beds and a sofa bed. They also have a park and cruise package.
We stayed that about a year and a half ago before a Hawaiian cruise. It was in the process a being remodeled to become a Best Western. At that time is was just the San Pedro Inns and Suites. I asked for a room in the back and I think they gave us a bigger room than what we paid for (it was huge). Everything was clean and at the time they had a free breakfast and shuttle to the pier.

No complaints at all.

OK reading though previous threads, there seems to be a consensus that the Best Western in LONG BEACH is a dive. Pia, might you have confused San Pedro with Long Beach? I'll hold off a while before canceling my CP reservations.

OK reading though previous threads, there seems to be a consensus that the Best Western in LONG BEACH is a dive. Pia, might you have confused San Pedro with Long Beach? I'll hold off a while before canceling my CP reservations.

See above and stay where you are. I'm just not a BW afficionado.

I currently have a reservation at the Crowne but I was pleasantly surprised reading all the great reviews on the Best Western Plus. The reviews are WAY better than the Crowne, includes free breakfast, has the free transfer to the cruise port, has coffee in the lobby 24/7, and is way less expensive than the Crowne. The only downside I can see is its distance to the waterfront and lack of as many restaurants in the area compared to the Crowne. There are a number of fast food places nearby as well as the favorably rated Gaffney Street diner about 2 1/2 blocks away, There is also liquor store closeby for those who might be interested. The price is a serious one hundred dollars less than the Crowne for my sailing.

If anyone has walked to the waterfront or taken a cab, I would love to know how it went.

Gaffey Street Diner is only serves breakfast and lunch. Also, noticed a for sale sign on it yesterday when I drove by. The area is VERY sketchy. The people hanging out in this part of San Pedro can be a bit scary.

thanks every one for all the quick replies. Feeling much better about staying at the San Pedro best western. Chose it because it has king beds and sofa pullouts. There are 9 of us so needed the bigger rooms.

Getting so excited as time gets closer:):)

Edited by Randolphkay

thanks every one for all the quick replies. Feeling much better about staying at the San Pedro best western Chose it because it has king beds and sofa pullouts. There are 9 of us so needed the bigger rooms.

Getting so excited as time gets closer:):)

Can't comment about the Best Western of Long Beach on Long Beach Blvd near PCH being a dive, as we stayed there years ago without incident, but, last October 2013, I made a Park & Cruise reservation for early December directly with the hotel, for 15 days parking and one night hotel for $221.75. I canceled in early November, 30 days in advance for a more favorable rate with the wonderful Hotel Maya, received a cancellation number from the desk clerk, which they now say was "not valid" and submits a fake invoice to the credit card when disputed, and tells everyone from Best Western corporate to the BBB that MY credit card found company it in "his" favor because he said so. So much for our credit cards protecting us. This has now been going on for a year, now, and I will never stop trying. That manager never returned any calls, or correspondence, online website emails, nor answered his phone during the dispute process when VISA tried several days and attempts to conference myself and the hotel together.

Edited by TravelDan99

Can't comment about the Best Western of Long Beach on Long Beach Blvd near PCH being a dive, as we stayed there years ago without incident, but, last October 2013, I made a Park & Cruise reservation for early December directly with the hotel, for 15 days parking and one night hotel for $221.75. I canceled in early November, 30 days in advance for a more favorable rate with the wonderful Hotel Maya, received a cancellation number from the desk clerk, which they now say was "not valid" and submits a fake invoice to the credit card when disputed, and tells everyone from Best Western corporate to the BBB that MY credit card found company it in "his" favor because he said so. So much for our credit cards protecting us. This has now been going on for a year, now, and I will never stop trying. That manager never returned any calls, or correspondence, online website emails, nor answered his phone during the dispute process when VISA tried several days and attempts to conference myself and the hotel together.

Definitely sounds like a nightmare. I am assuming you received a verbal cancelation number and not one through email. I think we should all take a cue from this and always get it in writing. I am sorry but admire your persistence.

Stayed at the CP two weeks ago for one night before a cruise. We arrived very and room wasn't available yet. We had been upgraded to a corner suite wort waiting for. I was very pleased with the lobby it was clean with comfortable furniture. Johnny at the desk was very helpful and Jimmy was out concierge Friday and was our shuttle driver Saturday. He was very friendly and went all around the lobby helping people. Our room.was very clean with no signs of wear.we had two walls of windows and a great view of the crown coming in. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance. We went in the maritime museum and walked near the Iowa and along the water front. We ate at Acapulco Mexican restaurant on the water. Staff told me 40% of the room are usually airline personal. They also said those staying one night have a good chance of being upgraded. I booked directly not through priceline so I paid more. That might have made a difference in getting a full suite or it could be random. Ours was already assigned but it never hurts to ask. I would stay there again.

Have stayed there numerous times in the past and have always been happy, but last time, wharf rats built a nest under my engine cover while parked in the HD parking and didn't realize until I had my car serviced a couple of mos later. This time, in 2 weeks, staying at BW in San Pedro where they have sheltered parking. Hope I have made the right choice??:mad:

Take this with a grain of salt from someone that lives in San Pedro - the area around 1st and Gaffey is very sketchy. I always hate having visitors drive through that part of town as it reflects very poorly on the area as a whole. Believe it or not, San Pedro is not all medicinal marijuana, homeless folks and liquor stores, but that is what you would think if you were in that part of the neighborhood.

I have had many people not know there are actually very nice parts of Pedro closer to Western (where I live) due to their perception of this area where the 110 freeway terminates...and where the Best Western is located. I have never stayed there or even visited it. But I would never consider it for my friends or family purely based on its location.

To the contrary, the waterfront area is a little nicer and I would encourage people to pick a hotel closer to that part of town. Just a local's two cents.

Edited by Waimea'sMom

Gaffey Street Diner is only serves breakfast and lunch. Also, noticed a for sale sign on it yesterday when I drove by. The area is VERY sketchy. The people hanging out in this part of San Pedro can be a bit scary.

Thanks, good information.

Take this with a grain of salt from someone that lives in San Pedro - the area around 1st and Gaffey is very sketchy. I always hate having visitors drive through that part of town as it reflects very poorly on the area as a whole. Believe it or not' date=' San Pedro is not all medicinal marijuana, homeless folks and liquor stores, but that is what you would think if you were in that part of the neighborhood.

I have had many people not know there are actually very nice parts of Pedro closer to Western (where I live) due to their perception of this area where the 110 freeway terminates...and where the Best Western is located. I have never stayed there or even visited it. But I would never consider it for my friends or family purely based on its location.

To the contrary, the waterfront area is a little nicer and I would encourage people to pick a hotel closer to that part of town. Just a local's two cents.[/quote']

Thank you. You make a very convincing argument for the Crowne.