Info/tricks/tips on an inside cabin?

dkc1973

So far I've had ocean view and balcony but next month is the first inside we have tried- Lido on the Dream.

My only experience with an inside cabin was visiting one for a few minutes on Elation and being told by people how dark it can be in there.

Is there anything we should know like tricks or differences from the other types of cabins?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just prepare for a very very small room. For most Carnival ships, OV & balcony rooms are significantly larger than standard interiors. I have been just fine in them, and especially if there's only 2 of us, it's enough space. We always bring a digital clock, which lets off just a bit of light. You could leave the bathroom light on, to shine some light out from the bottom to help with those nighttime trips there.

regarding the bathroom light, that is what we do. There is about 1/2" gap below the door so leaving the light on and closing the door gives sufficient light in the room if you don't want to sleep in total darkness. But make sure you leave the sign on outside the door if you don't have any light. :)

Just prepare for a very very small room. For most Carnival ships, OV & balcony rooms are significantly larger than standard interiors. I have been just fine in them, and especially if there's only 2 of us, it's enough space. We always bring a digital clock, which lets off just a bit of light. You could leave the bathroom light on, to shine some light out from the bottom to help with those nighttime trips there.

I thought the balcony rooms and inside were both 185 square feet. The balcony adds 35 square feet. One time we did a B2B and 1 cruise was in a Lido balcony and the second was in a Lido interior right across the hall. The rooms were the same size.

I have also done the TV idea. Leave it on the bow channel, turn the volume all the way down, its just like having a window. Its dark when you go to bed but the sun comes up and the tv lights up just as if you were looking out the window.

We've tried leaving the bathroom light on overnight, but when one of us has to go in, opening the door lets a flood of light into the cabin, waking the other person.

We have found that enough light actually seeps under the hall door, and through the ventilation grill on the bottom of the hall door, that night lights are not needed.

But just in case it's not enough for you, take one of those little battery operated candle lights to set on the bathroom vanity at night. Or a small flashlight to keep on your bedside table.

For 35 years we've always had a room with some kind of a view mostly suites and balconies once available. We decided to try an inside because of certain issues which are going to be resolved soon. Anyway we found we loved the dark. We sleep so much better that we are going with an inside to Hawaii next year. BTW I think there is misinformation on a post or two. Most inside rooms are as large as balcony rooms. 185 sq feet.

All I want to say is we generally leave the bathroom light on, and the door open just a tad.

As for sleeping, I LOVE the Carnival beds/bedding. To me, they are better than Royal Carribean or Princess or anyone else.

As for the room size, if you check them out, generally Carnival is just a "tad" larger than other ship room sizes.

I thought the balcony rooms and inside were both 185 square feet. The balcony adds 35 square feet. One time we did a B2B and 1 cruise was in a Lido balcony and the second was in a Lido interior right across the hall. The rooms were the same size.

i just do not see that.

For one-- a balcony cabin has the sofa-- the inside cabin does not. There is no room for one.

so i dont see how a balcony cabin and a inside cabin are the same size

I know the oceanview cabins are bigger then a balcony cabin since the space in the cabin takes over where the balcony is.

On Carnival website it clearly states inside and oceanview rooms are both 185 sq ft. Inside rooms with only upper and lower berths are 145 sq ft. Rooms with balconies are same size as oceanview rooms with extra 35 sq ft for balcony. By doing this they save money on construction costs , on having one blueprint for every ship. On the larger ships , the area in the middle is stretched out and every area is made larger.

1.)spa has private showers that are no charge and much roomier if more than one wants to get ready before dinner or after say a beach excursion. Just know they do not have power outlets so no drying hair up there.

2.)Bring magnetic hooks to use as magnets ( for putting papers up like fun times) Or command type hooks for hanging a bag,purse,jacket. (Walls are magnetic.) also An over the door type hanger for bathroom as no counter space really or shoe organizer.

3.)small purse size flashlight

4.)use storage space under bed for luggage

i just do not see that.

For one-- a balcony cabin has the sofa-- the inside cabin does not. There is no room for one.

so i dont see how a balcony cabin and a inside cabin are the same size

I know the oceanview cabins are bigger then a balcony cabin since the space in the cabin takes over where the balcony is.

Interiors are absolutely much smaller than the indoors part of a balcony. No doubt about it. They are both listed at 185 sq.ft, but that is very incorrect. My first time on the Dream, we had an interior, and some new friends were in a balcony. While visiting their room, I knew without a doubt that their room (indoors only) was much larger. It was obvious. But then I heard that the 2 rooms were listed as being equal. I knew that couldn't be true. Like serene said, the balcony has a sofa, and the interior is way short of being able to fit in a sofa. The 2 beds put together are almost equally wide as they are long. From the foot of the bed in an interior to the bathroom wall is only about 4 feet. There would have to be at least 7 feet there to fit in a sofa. There is more than 7 feet there in a balcony cabin. 4 feet verses over 7 feet. That's a big difference, and it's very obvious.

Interiors and balconies are equally wide, just over 9'. That is very obvious by the deck plan layout, and the fact that as you walk the hallways in a ship, the interior is right across from the balcony, and the next interior is also right across from the balcony, all the way down.

I took my tape measurer on every cruise after that one, and I have measured many rooms. I measured a basic ordinary interior as being 150 sq.ft, give or take a foot or 2. I measured the indoors part of a balcony as being almost exactly 185 sq.ft. And that matches up with the differences I've noted. 9' wide x 3.5' length difference (or so) = 30 to 35 sq.ft. difference. Measurements are quite easy in a room, so I have made no mistakes there. Width x length, measured from unobstructed points. I'm good at measuring things & very good at math, so I am totally sure as to what I am saying. The only doubt would be that it's possible that the interior that I measured to be 150 could possibly have been 1 foot short of other basic interiors on other ships. I don't know why that would be, but it's possible. If so, the other ships (other than Magic) would be 160, still a 25 ft. difference.

Now that the math rambling is done, I will repeat that even a 150 sq.ft. interior is enough for 2 people. We even had 3 in it, and did fine. But for 4, definitely get 2 rooms, or upgrade to an OV or balcony. Fantasy class ships are the same size for all 3 room types, and none are long enough for a sofa, which means 150-160 each.

Edited by k2excursion

• 5 months later...

For years we have cruised in a balcony cabin with my son & his friends or cousins across the hall in an inside room. There is absolutely no way these rooms are the same size. As recent as last month we did it this way & every time we went in their room we said the same thing "Wow, this room is small" that room works for them fine with the 2 beds separated as twin size beds but it is very tight when the beds are pushed together.

Our last cruise was our first interior and it was just fine. We took a photosensitive nightlight with us that lit when the room was dark. It was perfect for late night visits to the facilities. I tried to talk the DBF into leaving the TV on the bow camera channel but no go. :)