Ebola scare?

pearose

Just waiting for someone to quote one of the early "what does ebola have to do with cruising" comments with a big fat I told you so.

Agreed. Of course it has to do with cruising. Cruising is travel. People travel by air to get to cruise ships. I mean, it's not much of a reach. It was just a matter of when.

The lab worker- I read yesterday in the NYT that the lab samples had been sent through the same pneumatic tubes as regular samples, potentially spreading infection that way. It was in an article describing what Presbyterian would have done differently. The NYT can hardly be described as a news source that whips up hysteria. I don't know if this pax is symptomatic or not- I've read both. It's Day 19 for her though so she may be out of the woods.

Untailored Bostonian- your posts are bordering on insulting at this point and I'm sure you don't want that. Anyone who has been following this thread gets your point. New people might come along and get slammed by you and that's not a good feeling.

I think you should all just hide under your beds in a Hazmat suit and be done with it. Hysteria is a scary thing.

Right.

Of course those 4000 pax and crew on the dream can't wait to see what will happen to them when they reach port

Will they be let off?

I am hoping that somehow her blood sample is currently being tested so they know the answer by debark

Omg the first noro cruise will be a delight!!

Seriously thinking if canceling for January.

Of course I will always be able to rebook at rock bottom prices in late December but if they are rock bottom by then that means we have wised up to this problem and are staying home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lets just hope they mention how he lied to get into the country.

A defense lawyer will. The family and a few others have brought up other issues earlier that they feel was part of the reason he died.

Edited by RuthlessBoss

Right.

Of course those 4000 pax and crew on the dream can't wait to see what will happen to them when they reach port

Will they be let off?

I am hoping that somehow her blood sample is currently being tested so they know the answer by debark

Omg the first noro cruise will be a delight!!

Seriously thinking if canceling for January.

Of course I will always be able to rebook at rock bottom prices in late December but if they are rock bottom by then that means we have wised up to this problem and are staying home.

Unfortunately even if a sample has been sent and comes back negative the protocol for clearance is 2 negative samples 72hrs apart

She handled Duncan's lab specimens

She is a nurse at the Dallas hospital

I read she was a lab supervisor, not a nurse, just for clarification. Either would be handling contaminated specimens or fluids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I read she was a lab supervisor, not a nurse, just for clarification. Either would be handling contaminated specimens or fluids.

And being a supervisor, her chances of coming in contact with the tube or it's contents even less likely.

The flu killed about 36,000 Americans last year, alone. Ebola has killed a bit more then 6000 since 1976. While there are vaccines for the flu, evidently they do not work 100% of the time, nor does everyone get vaccinated. Did you know that between 1918 and 1920 over 100 million died worldwide of the flu? I say you have a greater chance of contracting the flu and dying of it than you do of contracting Ebola.

Out of the hundreds of people that Mr. Duncan exposed, only 2 have proved positive for Ebola. Two. Not even his family have developed symptoms and should be leaving quarantine soon. We will have to wait and see if the 2nd nurse did infect anyone during her trip to Cleveland. She did have a low grade fever, so its possible. .....

That is the thinking that would let Ebola start to run wild here. Your analogy is not one that can be made. The chances of getting the flu at this time here in the U.S. is much greater than getting Ebola, true. Not true in those three African Countries where they did not take strict steps to stop it. The chance of someone dying from getting the flu is negligible in even a somewhat healthy person, those that die generally have other or many other issues. The chance of a healthy person dying if they get Ebola is extremely high, far far more sinister if it gets spread. Comparing the two is fooling yourself. I pray no one at the CDC or at hospitals think the chance of getting the flu is worse than the Ebola virus.

It doesn't mean people need to panic, and even with the mistakes being made here and the somewhat casual attitude (in my opinion) of some who have been in contact with it, I do believe it won't spread here. But all those who are now questioning going on a cruise at this time, or have decided not to, I totally understand , and it's healthy (literally) to take such a cautious approach. Equally those that have weighed the facts and feel it's safe to cruise, I understand that too. It isn't something that is a clear answer for everyone at this time, and having someone who possibly had direct contact with a patient's fluid on board a ship now isn't making my decision to go or not any easier. If the travel ban that has now been put in place is followed, that certainly eases my thoughts on this.

Edited by Tampa8

I thought she was a nurse. Thanks

Now what about those people taking the blood!!!!!!

In hazmat suits going forward I hope

But nurses can take blood too

The fewer medical people near the patient the better

As I said before - My info came direct from Belize - from an interview shown on TV with a rep of the MOH (put out later than the original gov one, to justify why Belize will not aid the US) - SO not hysteria- I also said that as there are 2 diff versions - the US and the Belize one we would have to wait until the ship docked to find out the correct one. I object to being accused of hysteria when I am only reporting facts that others seeing only the US news reports may not have access to. I think you will even see in the other thread that I stated depending on her job she may work with these sort of biohazards every day so ebola may have not been an issue to this person.- we have to wait and see

FWIW, I am not PO'ed that the information was posted, even when is was in its raw state. I am PO'ed at the Belize's officials that made this a story. I am mad at CCL who clearly assumed a nonsystematic pax was any kind of risk.

Please accept an apology if you, or anyone else that posted the story in the middle of the night thought I aimed my "I am PO'ed!" at them.

On TV this morning, they are saying the nurse has NO symptoms but has "self quarantined" herself in her room. Let's not assume she has anything yet...

This really freaks me out as I am supposed to be on the Magic next week! I am not afraid of catching ebola, I am afraid they are going to quarantine the ship once it comes in and therefore cancel my vacation, as well as panic thousands of people.

Okay, I have been following this Ebola situation closely and wishing our cruise was tomorrow instead of three more weeks away.... Now on the news they are saying a woman on board a carnival ship is being qaurantined and all other passengers stranded at sea. Apparently she was a worker at the Dallas hospital.

I sail in three weeks, but kinda wishing it was tomorrow already before this could possibly spread anymore...

Does anyone have a link to anything saying that there were cruise pax on the flight Amber Vinson was on (that then continued to FLL)? Just wondering if there was any truth to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is now our worse fear - appearing on a Carnival cruise ship. Was just watching a news conference and it was confirmed by one of the doctors when a reporter asked about the nurse on a cruise ship showing signs of Ebola. A few weeks ago we were tempted to purchase stock in Carnival, and glad we didn't.

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

FROM THE CRUISE DIRECTOR (just the facts)

John Heald

Just a quick update for you.

Late afternoon on Wednesday, October 15, we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. The CDC informed us that at no point in time has this individual had any direct contact with any infected patients nor has this guest exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection for 19 days since this guest was present in the lab with testing samples. We were not aware of this situation at the time this guest embarked the ship, and the CDC deemed this individual to be low risk and cleared to travel.

We continue to be in close contact with the CDC and our medical team continues to monitor the guest. The individual remains symptom free and is not contagious. The CDC has advised us the guests and crew on board are not at risk.

Due to a change in CDC monitoring procedures yesterday the CDC requested this guest be returned home from Belize. The U.S. government did make an attempt to arrange to fly the guest home from Belize yesterday, however, was unable to finalize arrangements with the Belize government. This resulted in our delay from departing from Belize last evening. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew.

It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and presently it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board until we return to Galveston on Sunday.

Our plan is to arrive in Cozumel this morning at 10:00 am and depart this afternoon at 6:00pm.

Cheers

Does anyone have a link to anything saying that there were cruise pax on the flight Amber Vinson was on (that then continued to FLL)? Just wondering if there was any truth to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's true, the plane she was on made 5 additional flights before taken out of service. There's a link on this thread to a news report about when and where the plane went after dropping off Amber.

I thought she was a nurse. Thanks

Now what about those people taking the blood!!!!!!

In hazmat suits going forward I hope

But nurses can take blood too

The fewer medical people near the patient the better

I only mentioned that to show how easily information gets changed as it passes from person to person. ITA a lab sup may have much less close contact than the techs, but not always as they are generally in teaching positions and first to handle anything new or unusual or especially lethal.

My BIG concern with the CDC is that all their research and prior experience is basically from remote 3rd world areas with extremely limited mobility. It has been historically contained in those kinds of areas until now. The US and other countries with high mobility and mass transist present a completely different playing field.