Waiting for price drop and Military?

bayoaksprincess

If a price drop or a military savings offer were to happen, how far out would this normally occur?

We are looking at an early January sailing and noticed today that the prior sailing in December is now HEAVILY discounted for military (as in less than $1300 for an aqua class room on a 10 night sailing). We had our honeymoon on this particular ship and stayed in aqua class, we would be over the moon if we could somehow afford to stay in "our" room again. It is currently available, but the pricing is not in our budget.

Anyone have any insight as to when we might expect to see the best pricing? We do have several back-up options for our time off, but we're willing to take a risk of waiting a little while to get the best outcome....

If a price drop or a military savings offer were to happen, how far out would this normally occur?

We are looking at an early January sailing and noticed today that the prior sailing in December is now HEAVILY discounted for military (as in less than $1300 for an aqua class room on a 10 night sailing). We had our honeymoon on this particular ship and stayed in aqua class, we would be over the moon if we could somehow afford to stay in "our" room again. It is currently available, but the pricing is not in our budget.

Anyone have any insight as to when we might expect to see the best pricing? We do have several back-up options for our time off, but we're willing to take a risk of waiting a little while to get the best outcome....

It really depends on supply and demand. After final payment, and they have a high inventory open in a higher category than what you booked, Celebrity will let you pay the difference and upgrade. We've gone from AQ to a Suite on a transatlantic when they offered a military discount on a suite.

Just keep your fingers crossed.

Recently...

I have found that many cruises are not just sailing full for the Caribbean... But they are doing so at high prices. In the last year there has been a RISE in prices... Not a fall.

Celebrity tho plays a very neat game of "hide the shell" in that they move things around, so Customers THINK they are getting a deal (by their use of 123Go / Pick Your Perk Promos... Along with price cuts & raises)

For example...

I booked my December cruise back in July ... Under a 123Go offer with some OBC

Late July, they dropped the price over $ 200 per person

We were able to scoop up that deal... And keep our perks

August & September they brought in PYP, but at the same time raised the prices to more than I paid initially

Since Final Payment, they have dropped the prices again... Within $ 50 of what I paid with the Late July Adjustment

And right now there are no perks

So anyone booking now gets a decent price... But no perks

So I still come out ahead... And even tho the price on paper has gone down... It has actually gone up (no perks mean less value for the Consumer = less cost for Celebrity)

Confused ??? :confused:

Yup that is EXACTLY what Celebrity is hoping for

My best advice...

You see a cruise you want at a price you can afford... Book it

Follow afterwards. If prices truly change to your advantage (all things considered) and it is BEFORE Final Payment make a change / adjustment

But considering that Celebrity has been aggressively marketing their Caribbean Cruises the last few seasons (and in particular with their Celebrity Canada Charters) don't expect any miracles.

We have seen prices go up consistently by 50% over what we paid back in 2012

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

If you are willing to celebrate your anniversary early, you can book a suite guarantee on the 7 night Nov. 30 Silhouette cruise for $1399 pp

or on the Dec. 14 cruise for $1299 pp.

There were some nice military rates for winter cruises on the Summit available around 7 months out.

Just never know when they will appear or disappear.

Usually the deeply discounted prices fluctuate with supply and demand, but not always. Sometimes there will be a great military or interline or other discounted rate even if there is only one cabin showing as available in the category you want.

(Other cabins in that category might still be available but not showing.)

The price on our 11 day cruise on Dec 1st have consistently gone UP. It is less than 55 days out and the same room is $550 per person for the same room. From what I have seen the cruise just prior to Thanksgiving and Christmas tend to be ALOT cheaper.

Did some digging around, wondering if waiting until 75 days out would help?

That would be less than 2 weeks from now, and from what I understand 75 days out is usually the final payment date.

If no mil-disc appears on its own, right near your decision deadline, contact Celeb and just inquire if a mil-rate available for your cabin category of interest. Depending on fill capacity of ship (and often which random rep answers the phone), they may offer you something even if mil-rate is not open-to-all on website. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good Luck

If you are willing to celebrate your anniversary early, you can book a suite guarantee on the 7 night Nov. 30 Silhouette cruise for $1399 pp

or on the Dec. 14 cruise for $1299 pp.

There were some nice military rates for winter cruises on the Summit available around 7 months out.

Just never know when they will appear or disappear.

Usually the deeply discounted prices fluctuate with supply and demand, but not always. Sometimes there will be a great military or interline or other discounted rate even if there is only one cabin showing as available in the category you want.

(Other cabins in that category might still be available but not showing.)

Our anniversary is actually this month, but I've gone back to school to advance my degree. The only time that I am out of school and that my work will allow me to take time off is in early January. If I could somehow have taken time off between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I would absolutely have booked the $1294 aqua class for the 10 night Dec.12 sailing (which is no longer available at that price on the website of course). We are just going to watch and wait a little, see what happens. If we miss out on this cruise, there are several other options we would enjoy (although probably not quite as much).

Prices are generally capacity controlled by computer. That's why you somtimes see lower price for concierge class than veranda. In order to get the best deal on any cruise line you have to understand the specials that cruise line offers. Celebrity's best deal is the 123 GO promotion which gives you the Classic Beverage Package at no cost. On a 10 day cruise, that is worth $500 per person. Our TA also gives us prepaid gratuities ($240) and sometimes an OBC. I beleive Celebrity is offering both emenities this week. If you have decided on a Celebrity cruise, book it as soon as you get the 123 GO deal. If the price goes down before final payment, you will get the lower price, but, of course, it is up to you to follow the price. We booked our January 2015 cruise a year ago at about $1500 per person for a veranda cabin. Lowest price veranda is now going for over $2300 per person. If you have no interest in the Beverage Package, it is still usually best to book early since you still get the lower pricing if it goes down and best cabin selection. Of course, if you can wait until after final payment, you might be able to get a better price, but probably not with same amenities. Problem is the longer you wait, airfares tend to go up.