Disappointing Royal Princess trip

Kosi

We were on the Royal for the 28 day Baltic/Transatlantic this September. We can certainly understand why some love the ship. It is gorgeous and although very large, it did not seem overly crowded. We found the service and entertainment to be as good or better than on other Princess cruises we have been on. The Horizon Court/Bistro was a huge improvement.

However you can count us as Elites who will probably not sail on her (or the Regal) again. There are two deal breakers for us. First is the lack of a Promenade. We love to walk when on board. We were relegated to walking the halls on sea days to get in some decent walking. There is no sense of being at sea. Except for the small walk out areas on deck 7 (which were frequently closed) we had to go to deck 16 to get an open view of the sea. The second deal breaker is Piazza. The Piazza is huge and gorgeous. Unfortunately to us, it is also used as an entertainment and dancing venue. With no Explorer’s Lounge and a Wheelhouse without a dance floor, bands and singers are frequently performing (loudly) in the Piazza. It is also used for dance lessons and various contests. It all made it impossible to relax or hold a conversation. We had lunch one day in Alfredo’s Pizza. The food was excellent. However, even though we had a window seat, the loud noise from a contest going on in the Piazza made it impossible to talk.

In the morning I like to get my second cup of coffee on deck 5, sit down, people watch, and always find friends there. Dance lessons in the morning(around 10:00am) filled the area. Whole Piazza was filled with people. Became very noisy. Should have been held in another venue but don't think there was anyplace large enough to do this.

Was on the transatlantic and the cruise before.I did enjoy watching (I am not much of a dancer) but impossible to talk to anyone while this was going on.So I came down at 9:00am instead for the quiet, and stayed a bit to watch the dancing. There was a huge group from I think Japan on board. Ladies were so cute and they danced really well( so did their husbands)

Edited by san diego sue

Royal Princess

Out of 18 cruises..This was the last cruise line I have not cruised with .. (haven't with Cunard, and not sure I would any way).. but I have to say we sadly wasn't impressed in my first cruise with Princess . There were all sorts of things that lead to me say I will never cruise on them again. .some small .. some not so small.

The staff were so hit and miss.. you get a nice person, you get another that acted like he wanted to be else where.. It was not an over all good feel from the crew. No one has to bend over backwards for me.. we are not like that at all..just a smile will do. Our room steward was great..(deck 14)..

The room is ok size in the bed area .. (balcony room), what did bother you was small things like the balcony being so small.. middle of the night chairs were hitting door.. but it wasn't so simple to just open door.. there was such suction holding it closed only my husband could undo it.. (strange!) The bathroom was so tiny.. which was ok when all you had to do was shower.. but what about dressing?:D:D No one could actually really change in the bathroom , especially if say someone had a shower and now all around you was wet. They need a curtain between the bath/closet area and bed space.. that would give the privacy needed.:eek::eek: Shower did not have much water pressure.

The shows were just okay. For all of you that think they are so great have you been on the other cruise lines? And the Piazza.. I was expecting to be wowed from what all I read.. but wasn't at all.

What they do have down in tours.. holding you in the theatre and going out as a group is a very good idea.

I know you will all hate me for this review.. but had to write it.. Sorry.

Always interesting to see op's opinions of their cruise. My only thought is perhaps you could get your hubby some blinders,:cool: make him close his eyes:(, or just send him out of the room.

We were just on the Royal for 25 days. We were also on it last year for almost a month and loved it so much that we booked it for this year. We also love the small ships (Ocean and Pacific) and all the ones in between. We basically feel very lucky and blessed to be able to go on ANY of these beautiful ships.:)

Amen.

We have only been on 15 cruises across 5 lines. I must say that my family all agreed that the 7 day Royal cruise last December was our best overall cruise that we ever sailed. To each their own, but we didn't have any problems and enjoyed ourselves and loved the ship.

However, as the quoted poster, we just love to be on a ship and we make the best and most of our company and situation. We were 'reeled in' hook, line and sinker when our parents took my family on our first cruise on The Big Red Boat. We also feel lucky and blessed to be able to cruise.

Going on another Cruise on the Royal in December. Had the choice between the Caribbean, Emerald, Ruby and the Royal and we picked the Royal even though the other itineraries appealed to us.

These are my own opinions and everyone should research and choose the ship that they feel most comfortable.

Safe Journeys. Paul

"....Hark now hear the sailors cry

Smell the sea, and feel the sky

Let your soul and spirit fly, into the mystic.."

--Van Morrison

I've been on the Royal twice and overall really enjoyed my cruises (1 - 7-day Caribbean and 1 - 25-day transatlantic/Baltics). My two main "ugh" moments, though. No promenade (I love promenades to walk around) and the elevators. I described them as "tiny tubes of terror." Miserable. Not enough of them and too, too small. I just got used to walking up and down the stairs (cabin toward bow of ship on both trips) - all sixteen flights!!! Other than that loved her and will be going again for the British Isles trip in 2015.

The TV's and a lot of movies in cabin to choose from. That was excellent.

Most people were bothered by lack of Promenade and no central staircase. Those two things didn't bother us in the slightest. But do to horrible small elevators and very little shade, annoying Sanctuary and Enclave, and ship layout in general, the Royal and sister ship Regal, would not be our first choice.

When we cruise: Itinerary first, then ship comparison, the pricing. Years ago when we were on Sapphire Princess for Alaska---we loved the ship, but the sailing we were on the food was so bad that I lost 5 pounds (a good thing actually!) I know food is subjective, but let's put it this way, I am generally easy to feed. That week HAL had the exact itinerary, but the fare was $1000.00 more. People raved about the food on HAL that week. I wasn't the only one who complained about the food that week on Princess. Had I had a crystal ball, I would have paid the 1000.00 for good food.

Anyway, I fully expected to lose weight on the Royal Princess cruise. But the food as I said, was surprisingly good. (gained my usual cruise weight)

Edited by Jetswdo
wrote something wrong....

Always interesting to see op's opinions of their cruise. My only thought is perhaps you could get your hubby some blinders,:cool: make him close his eyes:(, or just send him out of the room.

It was not about this sailing.. sailing with him! It was what if I was with my sister.. I cruise with her 1/2 of the time.. I am not sure how we would have done it.. and yes I am modest and would never undress in front of her.. and she is the exact same way.

Another thing.. towels were awful in shower.. My husband who I never knew took notice said the same thing.. they were thin..and actually looked worn out in places.

Mattress .. not great.. sadly.

Breakfast in room.. was not so good at all.. not many choices.

We did the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.. and we had a guy who was practicing on us.. and so it was not so great.. He came in with the plates of lobster/steak and damn near didn't make it to the table cause they were so hot he was really panicking on the way in.. I wouldn't do that again .. The chocolate dessert at the end.. what was that????? It was really grosss to look at and eat!!!

It was not about this sailing.. sailing with him! It was what if I was with my sister.. I cruise with her 1/2 of the time.. I am not sure how we would have done it.. and yes I am modest and would never undress in front of her.. and she is the exact same way.

Another thing.. towels were awful in shower.. My husband who I never knew took notice said the same thing.. they were thin..and actually looked worn out in places.

Mattress .. not great.. sadly.

Breakfast in room.. was not so good at all.. not many choices.

We did the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.. and we had a guy who was practicing on us.. and so it was not so great.. He came in with the plates of lobster/steak and damn near didn't make it to the table cause they were so hot he was really panicking on the way in.. I wouldn't do that again .. The chocolate dessert at the end.. what was that????? It was really grosss to look at and eat!!!

I agree about the towels - way too thin. The mattress was incredibly comfortable - second only to Disney.

The TV's and a lot of movies in cabin to choose from. That was excellent.

Most people were bothered by lack of Promenade and no central staircase. Those two things didn't bother us in the slightest. But do to horrible small elevators and very little shade, annoying Sanctuary and Enclave, and ship layout in general, the Royal and sister ship Regal, would not be our first choice.

When we cruise: Itinerary first, then ship comparison, the pricing. Years ago when we were on Sapphire Princess for Alaska---we loved the ship, but the sailing we were on the food was so bad that I lost 5 pounds (a good thing actually!) I know food is subjective, but let's put it this way, I am generally easy to feed. That week HAL had the exact itinerary, but the fare was $1000.00 more. People raved about the food on HAL that week. I wasn't the only one who complained about the food that week on Princess. Had I had a crystal ball, I would have paid the 1000.00 for good food.

Anyway, I fully expected to lose weight on the Royal Princess cruise. But the food as I said, was surprisingly good. (gained my usual cruise weight)

A lot of people were bothered on our cruise as well about the middle staircase.. elevators.. etc. But we take the stairs always.. and it was a long, long way up to 14..

We met a couple at the end of cruise.. older. ...who were doing self disembarkation.. and could tell they were having a hard time.. doing it themselves.. and the guy told us Princess.. messed up and they have a 11:15 flight instead of a 1 pm .. this was through Princess.. and I really think that they should have had someone help them off the boat. since it was their fault.. he said he couldn't wait till he gets the email for comments.. I hope I get one as well!