Brilliance OTS Oct 5th- Canada & New England Review (Lengthy & Photo Filled)

We woke up somewhat early to grab breakfast before our excursion began.

IMG_0720_zps1edc2f63.jpg

When we got off the ship and walked through the terminal there were greeters handing out gifts. Men received a small Canada pin and women received a flower. Children were given a New Brunswick flag. My son waved that flag a lot on this day. We got off the ship with plenty of time to spare, but our tour was already leaving. So we hurried over to the exit doors and followed the trail of people. There were three busloads of people who signed up for the tour.

We had a lively woman narrating the tour for us. She was very nice and helpful. It was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky once the morning went on. Perfect for the sights we were going to see. First stop was Reversing Falls Rapids. Not too impressive. I'm not sure if it was because of the paper plant across the way or what. My son was pretty squirmy on this morning and so we weren't able to get him to cooperate for pictures.

IMG_0726_zps2c3b9ab9.jpg

IMG_0729_zpsd74b48da.jpg

IMG_0731_zps652826c8.jpg

From there we headed on the scenic route to the Town of St Martins and the Sea Caves.

IMG_0741_zps834953d1.jpg

IMG_0742_zpsaba86218.jpg

IMG_0743_zps5f5dd173.jpg

Our guide explained that if we did not like Seafood Chowder that there was an option to get Minestrone or Chicken Fingers upon our arrival at the restaurant. We asked if my son would get food as well. At his age he is free on excursions (score!) but we weren't sure if food would be provided because of this. The guide said "Of course, nobody want to deal with a hungry toddler!"

Edited by smileyperry

I forgot to mention that! Giovanni's was under us. We never heard a peep once we moved. :)

That is surprising! When we dined in Giovanni's on the Oasis, that restaurant was so loud with music and patrons, that I could barely think...or eat! :rolleyes:

Have fun on your date! :) My DD and SIL are leaving tomorrow for their 5 year anniversary trip...back to their honeymoon resort. I get to help keep the baby, along with my other daughter, for the whole week! :D

Edited by Iamthesea

I have realized this thread has become far more detailed than I had planned. I have no problem writing all of this, but if anyone thinks it's a bit too much just let me know and I'll try to be more succinct.

This is actually super helpful in preparing to cruise with a child.

I have already found two places nearby my house that serve it- an ice cream shop down in Hollywood and a snack stop in Lake Worth.

We just moved to LW this past month; what is the name of the restaurant you mention in LW? :cool:

And so we arrived at the Caves Restaurant, right on the beach. Our group was brought in to the dining room area and told to sit on one side. Another bus would be arriving shortly. It was a cute little place and the owners are involved in every day operations. I believe we met them, although they never formally introduced themselves. I saw them circulating around making sure everyone was satisfied with their food. Hubby had the chowder, I had minestrone, and they brought a kids chicken tender meal for our son. We were also given a drink and a large biscuit. Those were some of the best biscuits I have ever eaten. They were large, warm, delicious, ooh I could go for one right now!

IMG_0790_zpsc6ac8bd8.jpg

IMG_0762_zpsbb58367a.jpg

IMG_0748_zps03dcf0ac.jpg

IMG_0750_zpscf128de2.jpg

IMG_0751_zpse7a72a0c.jpg

IMG_0752_zpsf2837e58.jpg

After lunch we had 45 minutes to explore the area on our own. I was VERY disappointed in the fact that we were there during high tide. I really wanted to go in to the caves. Unless I wanted hyperthermia, I wasn’t getting in there! We took some scenery shots and walked around. My husband decided to teach my son how to throw rocks in to the water. Another joyful moment as a mother…

IMG_0755_zps06e98589.jpg

IMG_0759_zps3aa5a65f.jpg

IMG_0773_zps285ce523.jpg

IMG_0769_zps7ed59109.jpg

IMG_0800_zps5dad75cc.jpg

IMG_0807_zpsb699f0a3.jpg

Edited by smileyperry

I have really been enjoying your review. Your pictures are stunning. Your family is adorable and you are both fantastic parents. I appreciate you providing so much information. Unfortunately we only cruise once a year so a cool weather cruise isn't in my forseeable future.

Actually, I don't know why I even clicked on this review but it has geen so enjoyable following along and I feel like I have met your family and can make an informed decision in the future about whether I would enjoy a New England cruise. I know writing such an enthralling review is quite an undertaking that takes a lot of time and talent. Thank you so much for the enjoyment you have provided.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Tapatalk

Subscribed, great review. This is a cruise I'm contemplating with children, mine are older but they have been cruising since they were 11 months old so I totally understand and enjoy your review. I'm from Florida too.

Sent from my K00F using Forums mobile app

The ride back was quicker than the ride out because we took the less scenic route back toward St John. My son was getting crabby, but he soon fell asleep in my arms. Yes, my arm lost feeling but there was no way I was going to disturb him! The bus had one final stop- St John Market. We told the guide that we’d be walking back to the ship from there. It was close-by and we wanted to see if there was anything else to do. We just wandered around the downtown area. I snapped a photo of the “beach.” We found it funny because we live less than 5 miles form a beach in south Florida. Then we walked back to the ship.

IMG_0843_zps6dba2203.jpg

IMG_0845_zps1ef45d24.jpg

IMG_0850_zpsd9b301a7.jpg

IMG_0852_zpsa0cb9b6f.jpg

once back onboard we ordered a lot of room service. Honey Stung Chicken was on there so I requested it. This is what I got...

IMG_0853_zps0cfabbb4.jpg

Yeah, right. Nice try Royal! Maybe you can fool a newbie, but this was chicken schnitzel, NOT Honey Stung Chicken!!!!

Edited by smileyperry

I snapped a photo of the “beach.” We found it funny because we live less than 5 miles form a beach in south Florida.

IMG_0850_zpsd9b301a7.jpg

In our defence, that is not really what we call a beach. :D That is just where leagues play beach volleyball ;)