Weird question about kids menu

KatieBug28

They should do away with the kids menu and put kid friendly portions on the adult menu(also good for people who are not big eaters). Just have a half portion and full portion order. Put friendly items like Mac and Cheese(Gruyere)

Build your own burgers/pizza/pasta.

Why single out the kiddies? Let them be adults on the cruise. You paid their way so why not let them order adult items too.

Just my 2 cents.

My son has allergies, and we are vegetarian, and he actually likes veggies, so can't really use the kids menu anyway.

So he has always ordered off the adult menu (on cruises and restaurants at home). Often just the appetizer is enough for him, so often he would get soup or salad, an appetizer and then fruit for desert. You don't have to order a "main course".

Last cruise they found out he loves beans and rice and had a HUGE plate of it every meal for him, he'd eat that and then some other stuff. My kid is super tiny and not a big eater (quantity wise, he isn't picky at all) but they got him to eat more than usual!

On The Liberty earlier this month our serve told me they didn't have printed kids menus anymore. When I asked what was on the menu, the waiter was just like the regular stuff - pizza, pasta, chicken Nuggets. I didn't need a printed one anyways, since I had already looked over the kids menus online.

On the Breeze in July we had 4 children at the table, we never saw a kids menu our waitstaff encouraged them to order off the main menu and if they did not see anything they wanted he would rattle off what their other options were he always encouraged them to try something- they were incredible! My grandson ate the frog legs and he is 8 😉

My kids are 7, 8, and 10. They will be going on their first cruise next month. Trying new foods is one of the things they are looking forward to the most! :D They can't wait to try escargot, frog legs, and shark! I have to admit... they are more adventerous eaters than I am. :o

We used the cruise as an opportunity to teach my kid the pleasure of the palate. I also have a kid that for some reason never liked burgers or dogs, which still drives me nuts.

At the age of 4, we simply ordered two meals; one off the kids menu, and one off the adult menu. By weeks end, we no longer needed the kids menu, but would try it every time we switched lines.

Now she's an established epicurean.

I completely agree with the other cruisers in that you are setting yourself up both on the ship and when you get back home...

#1- you are on a cruise, having them eat foods that they don't normally eat, be it more greasy, consistency or heaviness and then having them on a swaying boat all afternoon is a receipe for disaster. Kids will get sick and I wouldn't want to be the one staying in my room for 2-3 days while my child is quarantined due to illness (because if they see them getting sick, they will block them access to the ship until they can rule out any contagious illnesses and chop it up to new foods)...

#2- yes, they will decide that once they are back home that, "I am big now, I don't need a kid's menu at ___ establishment... Oh yes, the lobster really looks good.." because that is what you are telling them on the ship...

I would suggest this, read them the menu, if they hear something that sounds good, order it and if they still want something on the kids menu, order that too! Yes, you can order one of each meal and have it brought out for them. My kids are very picky and only ordered off the adult's menu twice but guess what, every night, they had an adult entree placed in front of them, along with their kid's meal. Some nights, we would order them an extra plate but sometimes, the waiters actually had a speciality dish made up for them. It was a hit and miss and the waiters never balked that they didn't finish their food. They got to try new things but weren't push to eat it or go hungry.. We did have 1 night of a slight stomach illness with 2 of our kids also. We chalked it up to that they both had the same thing and it was something new for both of them...

Not really sure why people are hung up with "adult" menu and "kid" menu. The main reason adults order off the kid menu is simply because it is cheaper. What do kids eat at home? They eat dinner, which is placed on the table? Is there two menu's? Do you make chicken nuggets every night at home? In my house, there is one menu, and one choice. Eat it or starve. ;) You also do not get quarantined because you have motion sickness.

My friends 4 year old daughter loved eating off the adult menu every night. The 8 year old, helped her pick her food.

As far as getting back home. I'm the parent, and I set the price. If they want lobster, too bad! That's what parenting is about. The ship is special, and today is reality. However, I had boys, and they were eating off adult menu before they were 10.

Definitely you can. The dining room staff members are so good at remembering things, like who drinks what every night.

But be warned...you are setting yourself up for when you get back home. ;) After our boys' first cruise, on which they only ordered off the adult menu, they decided to continue and TRY to eat that way at restaurants at home, where we had to pay! :eek: (Please know that this is tongue-in-cheek.)

Good for you for expanding your kids' palates. We were fortunate in that our boys were very adventurous eaters. We now have a girl-in-law who is a somewhat fussy eater and it's killing us.

I did this, too, and THAT happened!!! Now she LOVES crab and lobster and wants only the good/better quality steaks!! She's 26 now!!

But she, and we, also, still order off the kid's menu, too!! I love their banana split!

I'm sure they will accommodate and I know you're going to have a wonderful cruise!!! I applaud you for trying to introduce new experiences and food to your children!!