Canadian Charters

newyorkray

What's with all these sailings closed out in the US for Canadians? I had almost always cruised Celebrity and reached the Elite status (big deal!) and prefer Caribbean cruises a couple of reasons. When I want to see Europe I spend a few days in a city, can't really appreciate any city in a few hours. Also, with the political unrest I prefer closer to home. Lastly, I cruise because I love the ships and am a beach person who enjoys the different Caribbean beaches. I am booked on the Reflection for November29th for the third time on Reflection since it came out. I have also tried to book a Caribbean cruise for February or March but so many are Canadian Charters and closed to me than I am wondering is it time for a new cruise line? I like Celebrity and have convinced about 15 members of my family to become Celebrity cruisers but now getting a little disappointed. I sailed the old Celebrity "Meridian" on my honeymoon back in 1996 and not keen on all the changes but accept that everything changes and I have to adjust. Just seems like Celebrity has gotten so big that it doesn't really care about what individuals think anymore.

What's with all these sailings closed out in the US for Canadians? I had almost always cruised Celebrity and reached the Elite status (big deal!) and prefer Caribbean cruises a couple of reasons. When I want to see Europe I spend a few days in a city, can't really appreciate any city in a few hours. Also, with the political unrest I prefer closer to home. Lastly, I cruise because I love the ships and am a beach person who enjoys the different Caribbean beaches. I am booked on the Reflection for November29th for the third time on Reflection since it came out. I have also tried to book a Caribbean cruise for February or March but so many are Canadian Charters and closed to me than I am wondering is it time for a new cruise line? I like Celebrity and have convinced about 15 members of my family to become Celebrity cruisers but now getting a little disappointed. I sailed the old Celebrity "Meridian" on my honeymoon back in 1996 and not keen on all the changes but accept that everything changes and I have to adjust. Just seems like Celebrity has gotten so big that it doesn't really care about what individuals think anymore.

Hi,

I have not seen any dates that are 'closed out', do you have examples of ships and dates?

It is my understanding that Celebrity has chartered a few planes from Canada for certain dates but can't imagine them having enough to fill a ship. That would be like 12 or 14 plane loads at least.

We looked at some of the offers but found it cheaper and more convenient for us to book on our own because we like to fly in early and or stay later.

I think that you have just run into a new problem with the website -- they are listing all the Canadian charter opportunities but somehow have erased all the regular booking information for everyone else. Call your travel agent to see if my hunch is right. Or call Celebrity directly if that's how you book your cruises. I think you will find all of those cruises are available to anyone.

Hi,

I have not seen any dates that are 'closed out', do you have examples of ships and dates?

It is my understanding that Celebrity has chartered a few planes from Canada for certain dates but can't imagine them having enough to fill a ship. That would be like 12 or 14 plane loads at least.

We looked at some of the offers but found it cheaper and more convenient for us to book on our own because we like to fly in early and or stay later.

Agreed.

Celebrity / Celebrity Canada just decided to run a bunch of Charters this winter (they did the same last year... Albeit on a smaller scale)

The Charters rn February, March & April, every weekend for Sailings on the Silhouette & Reflection.

And although there are 8 Cdn Cities serviced, rumour has it that several cities will be grouped for each flight... So not 4 Full Flights per Cruise.

I think that you have just run into a new problem with the website -- they are listing all the Canadian charter opportunities but somehow have erased all the regular booking information for everyone else. Call your travel agent to see if my hunch is right. Or call Celebrity directly if that's how you book your cruises. I think you will find all of those cruises are available to anyone.

As of this past weekend, when I looked at the Celebrity Website these cruises were still listed as available for bookings (for ANYONE... The Cdn Charters tho were often coming up SOLD OUT)

So, as Celebrity's website is notorious for computer glitches I am guessing this indeed another case of not being able to complete an online booking

Suggest you call Celebrity direct to ask any Questions... Or hand off the job to your TA to do research on your behalf

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. Although I always book directly with Celebrity, I didn't ask about these cruises, just though they were all being saved for the Canadians (which wouldn't make a good business decision) If I ran any business I'd sell to whoever had the money in hand first! I'll call X and ask them about it. Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Although I always book directly with Celebrity, I didn't ask about these cruises, just though they were all being saved for the Canadians (which wouldn't make a good business decision) If I ran any business I'd sell to whoever had the money in hand first! I'll call X and ask them about it. Thanks

The confusion is understandable... Have been other posts on this topic all Summer

Especially when Celebrity went as far as showing the individual weekly cruises multi listed on their website (with Airport Codes as the only thing that set all 8 of the listings each week apart... So there were like 10 listings for each Silhouette & Reflection Sailing). It was a true mess for awhile... Lol, much better now.

Celebrity 2015 cruises Sold Out to Charters = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098310

See my Explanation in Reply # 15

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

• 2 months later...

I have been reading some of the threads and trying to figure out about how many people will be on these charters if anyone knows. I have had very bad experience cruising with large groups and try hard to avoid if possible. I don't mind if they don't take over public spaces etc but if big enough they can affect your cruising experience IMO. We have to change the date of our upcoming cruise on Silhouette due to a work conflict. We are looking at The week of April 4th specifically. Can anyone tell me about that date on Reflection or Silhouette? I did a search but still not clear on what to expect. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

What? You don't like Canadians? :D

Yes, the Celebrity website strikes again. There are a number of "all inclusive" packages available out of Canada (flight, cruise, etc) and you must somehow be seeing them when you look. Most have sold out and that is probably what you are seeing. I'm on the Equinox (March 6th) and there is still lots of room for my American neighbours.

I have been reading some of the threads and trying to figure out about how many people will be on these charters if anyone knows. I have had very bad experience cruising with large groups and try hard to avoid if possible. I don't mind if they don't take over public spaces etc but if big enough they can affect your cruising experience IMO. We have to change the date of our upcoming cruise on Silhouette due to a work conflict. We are looking at The week of April 4th specifically. Can anyone tell me about that date on Reflection or Silhouette? I did a search but still not clear on what to expect. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

This is not a Group/Theme Charter!! It is the plane that is chartered. Don't worry! Celebrity has just marketed to a few Canadian cities with a flight/cruise promo. If these Canadians didn't go on the charter they would fly down on their own. All they will have in common is that they are using the same flight and going on the same cruise. They won't know each other for example. As long as you don't mind running into some random Canadians once in a while in different areas of the ship you should be fine!

Edited by Christine Frances

Thanks so much. I don't mean to be a worry wort but have had more than one cruise affected by groups. Noting personal to anyone just like to use all of the ship and don't like feeling like an outsider on my own vacation. If you have experienced this you know what I mean.

Thanks so much. I don't mean to be a worry wort but have had more than one cruise affected by groups. Noting personal to anyone just like to use all of the ship and don't like feeling like an outsider on my own vacation. If you have experienced this you know what I mean.

This group of Canadians won't know each other unless meeting up in an airplane makes a few friendships.

If you have to have a group on board, a gang of Canadians is a good one to have, we are constantly saying 'sorry' and 'pardon me' even when we didn't do anything. It is just a thing with our culture. :rolleyes:

Hopefully you'll find a suitable date to book for your trip.

Enjoy!!!!

I'm one of the 'polite' Canadians signed up for the March 7 Reflection cruise under this Celebrity 'special'. No idea who else will be on the plane with us but I'm sure we'll meet some of them during our trip down. Now whether or not we'll ever see them once onboard is another thing altogether. If they do actually lump some Cdn cities together in one flight (including ours) we will not be happy as that entails longer overall flight times and increased landings, etc. but we shall see. Sorry.

The departures from Ottawa are obviously not selling well as there was a large half page, color ad in the Montreal Gazette.

Non-stop flights, Ottawa to Miami.

They are still advertising for Feb 7th departures. Outside cabins from $1399 CAD per person, all included (air and air taxes, transfers, port charges, tips and 123 package). Balconies from $1999.

Funny, there is a color photo of an airplane with 'Celebrity Cruises' painted on the fuselage in over sized letters. Underneath, in fine print "Actual plane may differ".

The departures from Ottawa are obviously not selling well as there was a large half page, color ad in the Montreal Gazette.

Non-stop flights, Ottawa to Miami.

They are still advertising for Feb 7th departures. Outside cabins from $1399 CAD per person, all included (air and air taxes, transfers, port charges, tips and 123 package). Balconies from $1999.

Funny, there is a color photo of an airplane with 'Celebrity Cruises' painted on the fuselage in over sized letters. Underneath, in fine print "Actual plane may differ".

Will be interesting to see what happens when we actually fly for our cruise on March 7. Same ad is also still appearing in Ottawa Citizen once or more a week. I kept a copy of the original ad that I booked from "just in case". My ad says "Exclusive non-stop flights from Ottawa to Miami+". The + sign is interesting as one must then get out a magnifying glass to read the really small print at the bottom which says "at press time arrival city was not finalized - Miami may be changed to Fort Lauderdale". Picture in my original ad was of a Canadian North plane. It has since changed to the same as you have in the Gazette showing a Celebrity plane.

This is our first cruise so hoping we don't get frustrated before we've even arrived at the ship - but we're keeping an open mind and looking forward to enjoying the acutual cruise once we get there.

I'm one of the 'polite' Canadians signed up for the March 7 Reflection cruise under this Celebrity 'special'. No idea who else will be on the plane with us but I'm sure we'll meet some of them during our trip down. Now whether or not we'll ever see them once onboard is another thing altogether. If they do actually lump some Cdn cities together in one flight (including ours) we will not be happy as that entails longer overall flight times and increased landings, etc. but we shall see. Sorry.

My family are also taking advantage of this deal on March 1 on the Silhouette.. Non-stop from Moncton, NB. Look out Celebrity, you are about to be invaded... I'm sure we will all be sorry for anything which has happened, currently happening, or may happen in the future...lol

Will be interesting to see what happens when we actually fly for our cruise.

This is our first cruise so hoping we don't get frustrated before we've even arrived at the ship - but we're keeping an open mind and looking forward to enjoying the acutual cruise once we get there.

Enjoy your first cruise, you're going to love it. Don't let a little change such as 'arrival airport' get in the way. Fort Lauderdale and Miami are very close and are considered alternative airports, as long as they are busing you to the ship a few extra minutes will not be that important.

Relax, enjoy, and be happy you got a direct flight without having to make nasty connections in New York, or Philadelphia.