Venice Hotel Recommendations

roothy123

Looks like the Hilton Molino Stucky has availability for single nights for that last weekend of September 2015. Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun is 295EU pre-paid for a King room for 2 people.

Book directly through Hilton.com. Do NOT go through a 3rd party (Booking.com, Expedia, etc.). Being in the hotel business, I've seen more than my share of botched bookings from them. You don't want to have issues in a foreign country!!! And, be sure to put in the proper number of people that will be in the room. Unlike the US, rates can change for the exact same room, depending on occupancy. And, don't put in 1 person to get the cheaper rate and then show up with 2 people; the hotel can and will jack up your rate to the correct 2 person rate.

Looks like the Hilton Molino Stucky has availability for single nights for that last weekend of September 2015. Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun is 295EU pre-paid for a King room for 2 people.

Book directly through Hilton.com. Do NOT go through a 3rd party (Booking.com, Expedia, etc.). Being in the hotel business, I've seen more than my share of botched bookings from them. You don't want to have issues in a foreign country!!! And, be sure to put in the proper number of people that will be in the room. Unlike the US, rates can change for the exact same room, depending on occupancy. And, don't put in 1 person to get the cheaper rate and then show up with 2 people; the hotel can and will jack up your rate to the correct 2 person rate.

just to add to quoted post

if you join the Hilton loyalty scheme hiltonhhonors the second person stays for free so avoids above situation and stays and use of their credit card boosts your membership benefits

Venice is VERY small. Regardless of where you stay, popular destinations are less than an hour's walk, or, 10 minutes walk if you use the vaporetto.

The deciding factor is luggage. If you can easily manage your luggage you can stay anywhere, but if you can't handle a few bridges, the Piazzale Roma area is the most convenient location. The PRoma is where buses, cars, taxis drop off passengers arriving from the airport .... it's as far as land vehicles can go in Venice. It's also where you catch the People Mover to the pier, or take a cab $25. Five minutes away. And the Grand Canal is only a block away.

So if you can't manage your luggage, stay nr PRoma. There are 2 hotels that don't require any bridge crossings and 3 or 4 that only have 1 small bridge to cross. You pay for that convenience tho, and some require 2 nites. If you can handle 2-3 bridges and can walk 15 minutes, you'll find much more affordable options.

This link is helpful

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

What is P Roma? Thanks.

If you did that, I would book it and make sure it's cancelable. Then I would keep a really close eye on Hotwire posting for that same date and hotel. And if you can book the Hotwire rate on their special rate you can do a lot better than that. Just look for a five-star hotel on Guidecca and that will be it.

Edited by CathyCruises

just to add to quoted post

if you join the Hilton loyalty scheme hiltonhhonors the second person stays for free so avoids above situation and stays and use of their credit card boosts your membership benefits

But, you still must say you have 2 in the room. Unlike the US, there ARE single occupancy rooms in Europe. But, if you do you specify 2 people, you will get the double-occupancy rooms, but should get the single-occupancy rate for room and tax only. From the T&C of HHonors bennies:

"A second guest stays free in the Member's room on qualifying stays at hotels when there are additional charges for double occupancy. This benefit excludes stays at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking), or specialized rates (e.g. package rates, bed & breakfast rates) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge." (I used to work at a Hilton-family resort and was their HHonors lead ;) )

Went through something like this last night at my hotel. A guest booked the Breakfast package, but only said 1 person in the room. He got upset when I told him he was only getting breakast for one person, not him AND his wife. Sorry, but if you booked that package at 2 people, the price went up… READ THE FINE PRINT!!!

It is always a good idea to join the affinity program of any airline or hotel that offers one. It's free, and you never know when you're going to stay or fly again with that brand or brand family. Sometimes, there are little perks with even the lowest entry level, so it never hurts to have it.

I'm just curious about something, and can't seem to figure it out from ACTV (vaporetto) web site: If I want to take a vaporetto to the Piazzale Roma area to take the People Mover to the dock (IF we dock at Marittima; not yet sure which dock we'll be assigned to), which one is closest to the People Mover? When I look at the ACTV site, there seem to be a lot of options around the train station and general area, but I can't figure out which vaporetto stop is closest to the People Mover!

Edited by roothy123