Any holiday cruises without the crowds?

igraf

For any of you who care it is most commonly spelled Chanukah, Hanukkah, or Hanukah. It is not an english word and so therefore no actual set english spelling. In english it is Festival of Lights or less commonly called Feast of Dedication and yes people who do no celebrate Christmas would rather some one say Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings This does not take away the importance of anyones holiday or religious choices.

Thank you for the explanation - and the spelling!

Thank you and others for the relevant information. I pretty much ruled out all 7-day Caribbean cruises.

For the other irrelevant posters, please don't turn this into a thread about holiday political correctness!!! "Holiday cruise" is a specific term used by Holland America for late December cruises and we can just leave it at that.

The closest one that I found was the Princess 11-day partial Panama Canal cruise departing on December 18th. It caught my eye as the prices were set at normal levels or even discounted from normal. I called Princess the other day and they told me that it is was currently less than half sold at and they counted 101 passengers under 21 years old. Not too bad for a cruise that includes Christmas Day, but still that is over 200 youngsters when the ship fills up. Apparently it is New Year's Day more so than Christmas Day that drives up the holiday prices.

HAL also offers longer Maasdam and Prinsendam holiday cruises in the Caribbean in addition the 14-day Amsterdam cruise. Did anyone actually go on any of these last year?

igraf

Not last year, but we were on Maasdam for holiday cruise in December 2012/January 2013. There were a number of families -- more than we had expected for a longer length cruise.

However, they youngsters were very well behaved, and not disruptive at all. We are looking forward to another lovely Holiday cruise this year aboard Prinsendam.

Ray in NH

Some of the most poorly behaved people I have seen on various cruises are adults... and often drunk Senior Citizens. This would apply to Holiday or non-holiday voyages.

You've seen a lot of drunk senior citizens on HAL cruises? Wow.....

I missed out on that treat. Can't say I've ever encountered that on an

HAL ship.

I would agree with ray from nh. The last 4 Xmas/new years I have been on cruises with my family, 3 Hal and 1 Cunard. I found that any of the teenagers or youngsters that were on board were very well behaved. I myself am 26 and my brother is 17, we prefer Hal due to the lack of younger cliental and the rowdiness that can come with it. There are definitely more youngsters than any other time of the year but not nearly as many as I have seen on other lines. Also the holiday caribbean seems to have more than any other the other itineraries from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This has not been our experience with Holland America Lines after seven cruises with HAL. Not at all. I don't know why someone always has to say something like this when kids on ships are discussed.

igraf

Some of the most poorly behaved people I have seen on various cruises are adults... and often drunk Senior Citizens. This would apply to Holiday or non-holiday voyages.

I would agree with ray from nh. The last 4 Xmas/new years I have been on cruises with my family, 3 Hal and 1 Cunard. I found that any of the teenagers or youngsters that were on board were very well behaved. I myself am 26 and my brother is 17, we prefer Hal due to the lack of younger cliental and the rowdiness that can come with it. There are definitely more youngsters than any other time of the year but not nearly as many as I have seen on other lines. Also the holiday caribbean seems to have more than any other the other itineraries from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great post Bergyjoe!

Did you really mean to take "Christ" out of Christmas? = Xmas ??? (my dad said this once to me when I was young and I never abbreviated it again)

Keep on cruising and thanks for posting your thoughts here. It is really nice to see some younger comments.

While I can't speak for the older grumpy anti Kid folks, I really enjoy seeing Christmas through the eyes and excitement of children of all ages....

Edited by Sam.Seattle

This has not been our experience with Holland America Lines after seven cruises with HAL. Not at all. I don't know why someone always has to say something like this when kids on ships are discussed.

igraf

Because it is true and what I have witnessed...

igraf

Because they want to deflect. It's just like smokers talking about perfume wearers or obese people.

Because they want to deflect. It's just like smokers talking about perfume wearers or obese people.

Well, not for me... I think????

But to be honest, I am not sure what you mean by "deflect" and since you tagged on to the chain, here is my reply.

My post # 28 followed posts 1, 5, 6, 19, 22, 25 and 27 that were in reference to poor behavior.

Thanks for another opinion.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

You've seen a lot of drunk senior citizens on HAL cruises? Wow.....

I missed out on that treat. Can't say I've ever encountered that on an

HAL ship.

We had one drunk couple that monopolized the Piano Bar each night. They were only interested in telling everyone how many cruises they had been on with HAL, how well they knew the piano player, and how off key they could sing along. I really felt bad for Michael Sera. We avoided the Piano bar the rest of that week because of them.

For any of you who care it is most commonly spelled Chanukah, Hanukkah, or Hanukah. It is not an english word and so therefore no actual set english spelling. In english it is Festival of Lights or less commonly called Feast of Dedication and yes people who do no celebrate Christmas would rather some one say Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings This does not take away the importance of anyones holiday or religious choices.

Back in the fabulous 50's my mom only sent out "Happy Holiday" or "Season's greetings" to our friends. We had friends of many religions and this is what I always do. I have muslim friends, Jewish friends, some friends whose religions I can spell and I myself, am an atheist. I never offended by "Merry Christmas", but I think "Happy Holidays" covers everyone.

If it would work out or be of interest for you, there are few if any children on a cruise that gets back just before Christmas. We do these just about every year and love watching the crew decorate the ship! Plus they are usually very reasonably priced as most people do not want to get home on 23 or 24 Dec.

This works for us, too. We have gone twice between Thanksgiving and Christmas on the Westerdam and twice on NCL. Fares are generally low the first two weeks of December and we've had great times on all these cruises....few children, uncrowded ships.

We had one drunk couple that monopolized the Piano Bar each night. They were only interested in telling everyone how many cruises they had been on with HAL, how well they knew the piano player, and how off key they could sing along. I really felt bad for Michael Sera. We avoided the Piano bar the rest of that week because of them.

And, I bet they were clueless as to how rude they were being. The kid excited in the elevator does not seem quite so bad. I would imagine if two kids sat at the piano bar sober & dominating the room, they would be asked to leave.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Thank you and others for the relevant information. I pretty much ruled out all 7-day Caribbean cruises.

For the other irrelevant posters, please don't turn this into a thread about holiday political correctness!!! "Holiday cruise" is a specific term used by Holland America for late December cruises and we can just leave it at that.

The closest one that I found was the Princess 11-day partial Panama Canal cruise departing on December 18th. It caught my eye as the prices were set at normal levels or even discounted from normal. I called Princess the other day and they told me that it is was currently less than half sold at and they counted 101 passengers under 21 years old. Not too bad for a cruise that includes Christmas Day, but still that is over 200 youngsters when the ship fills up. Apparently it is New Year's Day more so than Christmas Day that drives up the holiday prices.

HAL also offers longer Maasdam and Prinsendam holiday cruises in the Caribbean in addition the 14-day Amsterdam cruise. Did anyone actually go on any of these last year?

igraf

We did the Christmas/New years cruise last year with our 2 (well behaved) sons of 5 and 8. There were quite a bit of children on board, but I must say that all were very well behaved. During the holiday season you will always find children. In Europe children have 2 weeks off school and some will even stay longer away from school. Even a departure on Dec 18 will not avoid this I think. The more exclusive cruise lines will have less children. I also noticed that the Prinsendam does not offer quad rooms and this will probably also mean less small children.

We went on Oceania Riviera for the 12 day Caribbean cruise over Christmas and New Years (and my birthday) last year. Never again. Did not expect any children, but there were over 100 and they were a nuisance in the outdoor pool, hot tubs, at the New Years Eve party, on the dance floors. Even though there were special programs for them (which is not usually the case), many did not seem to attend them. It was nice that Santa Claus came for them and gave them presents. The ship was beautifully decorated and has the best food we have ever had. I had never had goose, which was deliciously served on Christmas Day. After this experience, I will think twice about sailing on anything this time of the year. Same for Thanksgiving. I love to cruise, but not with a bunch of kids running around.