Entertainment Comparison

mskaufman

Larger ships do not have two shows (after all, the ships aren't that large). And if they did, we would not attend either show unless there were absolutely nothing else to do. One thing that is not mentioned much on this thread is that dining in some of the specialty restaurants is a dining experience. If you go for dinner at 7:00 or 7:30 p.m., and take the time to enjoy your meal -- the wine, etc., the show will be over before you are finished.

That is really helpful. I know Regatta is a smaller ship so they only have 1 evening show. Do the larger ships have 2 evening shows?

How do the "Big O" dollars work? What types of prizes do they have? Is it key chains, ship pins or more like T-shirts or other logo gear?

Both, they have keychains, bookmarks, hats, t-shirts, bags all with the Oceania logo

Larger ships do not have two shows (after all, the ships aren't that large). And if they did, we would not attend either show unless there were absolutely nothing else to do. One thing that is not mentioned much on this thread is that dining in some of the specialty restaurants is a dining experience. If you go for dinner at 7:00 or 7:30 p.m., and take the time to enjoy your meal -- the wine, etc., the show will be over before you are finished.

The shows generally begin at 9:45. Plenty of time to enjoy dinner in addition to the entertainment which we have found to be generally quite good.

The shows generally begin at 9:45. Plenty of time to enjoy dinner in addition to the entertainment which we have found to be generally quite good.

You are probably right. I know that this thread is about the actual entertainment (which is probably fine). When I think about the shows I think about the theater........ the only thing on the Riviera that I cannot stand. There is nothing about the theater that I like. Very uncomfortable seats - poor design. Of course, this is my opinion and I do compare it with the theaters on Regent and Silversea. The comparison isn't really fair since I'm comparing Oceania to luxury cruise lines...... but I find the ship and service to be equal to luxury cruise lines (except for the theater).

You are probably right. I know that this thread is about the actual entertainment (which is probably fine). When I think about the shows I think about the theater........ the only thing on the Riviera that I cannot stand. There is nothing about the theater that I like. Very uncomfortable seats - poor design. Of course, this is my opinion and I do compare it with the theaters on Regent and Silversea. The comparison isn't really fair since I'm comparing Oceania to luxury cruise lines...... but I find the ship and service to be equal to luxury cruise lines (except for the theater).

TC, you haven't sailed the little ships. The "theater" is more of a lounge, with individual chairs and some cocktail tables, a line of bnquette seating, almost all on the same level as the teeney "stage" (just large enough for the band and maybe a singer - most performers utilize the dance floor in front of the stage). Low ceilings that ruin the accoutics, hardly room for stage lighting...the theaters on Marina and Riviera are almost Carnegie Hall in comparison. The seats are not uncomfortable, every seat has a small pull-out drink tray, the sightlines are great -- I've been seated all over the theaters and never had a problem seeing the stage. While not two decks high the ceiling is probably fifty percent higher than anything else on the ship. The stage lighting is professional and the accoustics are decent.

I don't think you've spent much time there to form a solid opinion.

TC, you haven't sailed the little ships. The "theater" is more of a lounge, with individual chairs and some cocktail tables, a line of bnquette seating, almost all on the same level as the teeney "stage" (just large enough for the band and maybe a singer - most performers utilize the dance floor in front of the stage). Low ceilings that ruin the accoutics, hardly room for stage lighting...the theaters on Marina and Riviera are almost Carnegie Hall in comparison. The seats are not uncomfortable, every seat has a small pull-out drink tray, the sightlines are great -- I've been seated all over the theaters and never had a problem seeing the stage. While not two decks high the ceiling is probably fifty percent higher than anything else on the ship. The stage lighting is professional and the accoustics are decent.

I don't think you've spent much time there to form a solid opinion.

You're right -- haven't sailed the little ships but will tour the Insignia in December when it is docked next to the Riviera. I did sit in the theater briefly on the Riviera. I was looking for upholstered sofas, and chairs - like there is on Regent and also Silversea. It isn't really a big deal that I don't like the theater on the Riviera (and assume the Marina) -- I love almost everything about the ship.

Larger ships do not have two shows (after all, the ships aren't that large).

Although not common, the demand was so great earlier in the week for one of the Jean Ann Ryan Company shows that there indeed were two shows one night when we sailed on Riviera earlier this year.

Edited by CintiPam

You're right -- haven't sailed the little ships but will tour the Insignia in December when it is docked next to the Riviera. I did sit in the theater briefly on the Riviera. I was looking for upholstered sofas, and chairs - like there is on Regent and also Silversea. It isn't really a big deal that I don't like the theater on the Riviera (and assume the Marina) -- I love almost everything about the ship.

I really like the shows however I really feel the show lounge on the large ships is poor, in fact I have a hard job sitting there for the duration of the show as I find the seats very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have a copy of a recent daily activity sheet I just navigated more of O's site and found some great details on the entertainment. Here's the link... https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/lifestyle.aspx.

It's pretty detailed when you delve into it and it makes it seem quite varied.

Thanks for that link. It offered a lot of information which I hadn't seen on the website before.

That said, besides the evening entertainment, we enjoy the Enrichment Program lectures during the day time. They've been decent on the the two Riviera cruises we've taken, but not outstanding. I'd like to see an improvement in that area too.

We will be on the Regatta in February on our first Oceania cruise. I get that O isn't known for its entertainment, which is fine, but will we find any place to dance or any type of late night entertainment?

Typically there is dancing for forty five minutes to a half an hour before the show in the main lounge which starts at AROUND 9:30 ish. The start time of the show varies by a few minutes, dependant on its' length.

After the Show ends, there is dancing upstairs in Horizons (the daytime Observation Lounge), music is provided by either a small combo or a disc jockey, dependant on the Era of music being celebrated.

The Entertainment carries on as long as there is passenger participation, but with Oceania's typical Itineraries being so port intensive, it is unusual for any activity to last beyond midnight. Even the bars are shutting down by then.

Just off Riviera. The show time was usually 9.45 the last show was at 9.30 two days before disembarkation. Disappointedly they showed a movie in the show lounge the night before we left. Rather felt that we were 'last weeks news'.

We enjoyed the production shows, especially The Andrew Lloyd Webber and the Billy Joel and EltonJohn ones. On two nights there was a Magician from the UK who was apparently the winner of "magician of the Year" or similar. It was the usual stuff, nothing special and we had certainly never heard of him.

The singers and dancers were young and enthusiastic. We only saw the Cruise director introduce them. He took no active part in the shows although I believe he did put on an entertainment with his wife in Horizens.

I like the lounge in the theatre. I find the seats comfortable, sight lines good, I like the drinks tray and most importantly there is enough room between rows of seats for people to pass without having to stand up. We tend to go to most shows and they are generally pretty good (although I may have low standards) and keep me entertained