staying on board

glentally

The first time we went on Oasis, we walked around the island on Labadee, wandered the port shop area in Jamaica and never got off in Cozumel. We figured the ship was our destination. It was WONDERFUL. Most relaxing cruise I've ever taken!

I could do a back-to-back on the Oasis and never get off the ship.

I could do a back-to-back on the Oasis and never get off the ship.

I could do 6 months, or more, on any ship and not get off. To me the cruise is the holiday the destination is secondary or maybe even tertiary.

We've been to Coco Cay three times now - the tender has *never* taken 45 minutes. 10 minutes is more like it. It's a pretty nice beach though I'd recommend some beach shoes as the bottom can be rocky when you walk out into the water. Once you're in the water, though, it's clear, beautiful water and you can easily see schools of fish.

As for your OP, we've usually stayed on board at Nassau and even on Majesty, which has "less" to do, we had plenty to do. Shops were closed, but bars are open, you can do trivia, and things aren't quite as crowded. It'd be a great time to hit the pool or whirlpool or if you're on a bigger ship play some minigolf or some other activity.

The best beaches in the caribbean are in Antigua and Tortola.

Sometimes we will get off the ship in Nassau and pick up something at a shop that we might want or need, but we get back on the ship and enjoy just being on the ship without having any plans. This is the time when you can relax on your balcony or by the pool with a book, have terrific bar service and chill.

So was there nowhere to get food on the ship? MDR is usually closed on port days.

I'd wager that even if Windjammer was closed while they were at Coco Cay other venues like Latte-tudes and the Park Cafe were open, not to mention room service. On Serenade, for instance, the following venues were open during our stop in Coco Cay (8:00 AM - 4:30 PM)

Park Cafe (6:00 AM - 9:00 AM; 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM)

Windjammer (7:00 AM - 11:00 AM; 11:30 AM - 3:30 PM)

MDR (7:30 AM - 9:00 AM)

Rita's Cantina (2:00 PM - 10:00 PM)

Latte-tudes (7:00 AM - 11:00 PM)

Likewise, for Majesty:

Windjammer (7:00 AM - 11:00 AM; 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM)

MDR (8:00 AM - 9:30 AM)

Latte-tudes (7:00 AM - 11:30 PM)

Gelateria L'onda (10:30 AM - 11:30 PM)

Compass Deli (12:00 PM - 6:30 PM)

Johnny Rockets (12:00 PM - 1:00 AM)

Sorrento's Pizza (12:00 PM - 3:00 AM)

We cruise often (five booked right now), and have been to the Caribbean ports so often, we probably could apply for citizenship (or at least a Green Card). You'll find enough to do on the ship to fill your day (even if it's just relaxing with a book or iPod by the near-empty pool), and you won't have to look for a table in the Windjammer Cafe. Staying aboard ship on port days is among our favorite activities.

These days, half the ship if not more will NOT get off in Nassau so don't expect to be alone at the pool. We never get off in Nassau.

As far as coco cay, I agree with others, this is an awesome beach stop. The food on board is the same as on cococay. They will be serving the same exact meal in windjammer.

The water is warm, snorkeling is lots of fun, as the lifeguards will toss in food to attract the fish. there are many sunken treasures. love coco cay. plenty of loungers. walk a little further down the beach and its less crowded, although we never found it crowded at all.