Urgent Help to Avoid Cruise Cancellation

Kiranus

I posted this thread in The Australia/ New Zealand forum, but thought others here might be able to help - Thanks.

We are sailing on the Solstice in January with my parents, and the final date for payment is this Sunday, 26 October. Both bookings were made together. On 13 October (9 working days ago) my father (who does not do internet banking) went personally into his bank and arranged a direct deposit for his final payment. I subsequently emailed RCL on his behalf with a scanned copy of the receipt. On 17 October I paid my final account through internet banking, with an accompanying email which also mentioned that my father had paid, but that it was not yet showing off his My Cruise account on the X website.

My account balance was cleared to $0 on 19 October (2 working days after paid). My father has rung Celebrity three times now, to be told on each occasion that they have a record of his payment it just "hasn't gone through yet". They even sent an email to me 2 days ago asking for his payment! Naturally, my father is beginning to panic, thinking a computer might automatically cancel his cruise on 26 October.

Now to my question - When we ring Celebrity today, what is the best action we can request in order to avoid such a calamity? Any advice much appreciated.

I suggest sending an express mail letter to Celebrity detailing the facts, including all a summary of payment details; all conversations with Celebrity (dates and names) and request confirmation of payment receipt. Also, send a copy by FAX. The Captains Club FAX number is 1.305.603.0046.

I take it that your father doesn't have a credit card. While it appears that the payment he sent has gone through fine, I urge him to get a credit card for emergencies. I have been on two cruises where something extraordinary took place. Those traveling without credit cards in their possession were in distress -- they could not secure a hotel by phone, they could not buy plane tickets home, they could not rent a car or even book a ferry.

This may just be a problem with Celebrity's notoriously unreliable website. If in fact the Celebrity agent can see that the payment has gone through, have him or her send you a confirming email of this, with the documentation of the payment received.

My dad does have a credit card, but being with an Australian bank the charge for this payment to RCL (overseas bank fee or some such title) is 3% of the transaction. We thought a direct deposit would be quite hassle-free, and clearly save a considerable amount of money.

Latest call to Celebrity call centre has asssured me that the payment has been made and there is no chance of cancellation, it just has not yet been processed onto his My Cruise account, and will not be for another two days (no explanation as to why my payment went through in 2 days!) They will not send a confirmation email, because they record all of their phone calls for future reference.

Not the best procedures in place for the receipting of direct deposits :(

This is actually a fairly rare method of payment. The vast majority of cruisers either 1) go through a travel agency, paying that agency with local checks or credit cards or 2) pay Celebrity directly via credit card. A direct deposit such as yours would probably be so unusual that it has thrown the system for a real loop.

I would push them harder for a confirmation email. I can't believe they couldn't do this, I have always asked for one re: any transaction and gotten one. October 26 is only 2 days away and it doesn't look like your father's payment will be posted by then, given Celebrity's own timetable. Ask to speak to a supervisor if necessary.

Edited by cynbar

Here is another thought; Celebrity is waiting for the check to clear from the issuing bank before they post as paid in full! Also if you are worried, call Celebrity give them a credit card# in case something happens to the check.

Edited by hawk/hornfan

This is actually a fairly rare method of payment. The vast majority of cruisers either 1) go through a travel agency, paying that agency with local checks or credit cards or 2) pay Celebrity directly via credit card. A direct deposit such as yours would probably be so unusual that it has thrown the system for a real loop.

Australia ia a bit unusual in that many merchants charge a fee to process credit cards (or a majority of them) especially for larger valued purchases (i.e. restaurants may not). Hotels do I know. I found it unusual when traveling that it is the NORM there to charge a card processing fee rather than the exception as it is in the USA.

So "direct deposit" in Australia may be more usual than one may think for this reason.