Is there porter service on weekend cruises?

iaa

There are porters available for every cruise regardless of length. The cabins on RCI are not available until 1:30 pm so you will need to keep your carry ons with you until then. Alternatively, you can check in and board a little later, and go straight to your cabin with your things. If you are doing a 3 night cruise, you might be able to take just a carry on; it must be able to fit through a scanner the same size as the airports use. Anything larger will need to be checked with a porter.

Have fun!

Thanks, good to know! I know it's not always the case with other cruise lines. My scuba equipment doesn't fit into a carry on, but coming later is always an option, too.

What port does not have porters on weekends? As long as the doors are open, there will be someone there to take your luggage.

Can't speak to any other cruise lines but I've never been to port to embark and not have any porters on RCCL. Most of my departures were on Sat or Sun. I would think it would be a bit of a disaster having everyone "self-embark" and having luggage stacked all over the place waiting for rooms to be ready.

What port does not have porters on weekends? As long as the doors are open, there will be someone there to take your luggage.

I could have elaborated more, I suppose. My bag is small enough to fit through the scanner no problem, but too large for me to willingly carry around for 2 hours. I know Carnival has limited porter service on 2/3 day cruises. My mother had an issue trying to check her medium sized bag; when she asked where she could drop it off, some employee told her she could just carry it on with her. I'm not sure if it was a language issue (both the employee and my mom spoke English as a 2nd language) or laziness or the fact that she arrived at the port really early, but she had to begrudgingly carry her bag onboard herself. That was also in Miami.

Edit: When I'm saying "a weekend cruise", I mean a 2-3 day short party-boat cruise. Not a weekend departure. That would be insane.

Edited by iaa

Not a weekend departure. That would be insane.

Why would a weekend departure be insane? More than 2 of our cruises have left on the weekends.

The porters can take your checked bags. You won't see them again until later on. If you like to have the equipment with you, what about getting a rollaboard type bag?

I could have elaborated more, I suppose. My bag is small enough to fit through the scanner no problem, but too large for me to willingly carry around for 2 hours. I know Carnival has limited porter service on 2/3 day cruises. My mother had an issue trying to check her medium sized bag; when she asked where she could drop it off, some employee told her she could just carry it on with her. I'm not sure if it was a language issue (both the employee and my mom spoke English as a 2nd language) or laziness or the fact that she arrived at the port really early, but she had to begrudgingly carry her bag onboard herself. That was also in Miami.

Edit: When I'm saying "a weekend cruise", I mean a 2-3 day short party-boat cruise. Not a weekend departure. That would be insane.

Exactly what cruise ship are you talking about? It sounds almost like you are talking about one of those mini ships that offer day/overnight cruises and not a main line cruise ship. It would be nearly impossible for the main line cruise ships to expect all passengers to carry their bags on board. That would be a disaster!

I'm going to assume here (yes I know what happens when you assume).

Your mother was probably in the line to get into the terminal when she asked the question. They DO NOT have porters at the security checkpoints. The employee probably did not think it worth mom's effort to walk out to the curb to give her bag to a porter then stand in line again for security.

The ports pay for the porters and the porters love working cruises. Most people will tip them for moving the bags a few feet on boarding day. I tip $5 for 2-3 bags. The porter probably handles 30 customers per hour if not more. $150 an hour:cool: If I wasn't so lazy and was afraid of getting caught sneaking on the ship, I would do it!:D

The employee may have been trying to be helpful and assumed your mother might like her bag with her rather than wait for delivery to her room later. Or more likely, as you thought, a language barrier. Next time all she needs to say is that she prefers to check it and that should solve the problem. You can check any bag at the port, the porters will just put a luggage tag on it if there is not one on it already.

We did an "unplanned" cruise to nowhere during the swine flu thing a few years ago. They knew we would go nowhere, but the porters were still there. Even for little 2 and 3 day trips to nowhere some people carry 3-4 suitcases each.

To the OP: The way I read your question was that you were asking if there was anywhere to check your bags after you boarded, and before your room was ready (ala a bellman bag check service often available in hotels). If that's a correct interpretation, then the answer is no. RCL does not provide this onboard service.