Sick ship ? 3 times is too many...

[quote name=chengkp75;44548136

I cannot find a roll call for the current AOS cruise' date=' but I did look at the last couple of posts on the one for the previous cruise, and they seemed to indicate that the incidences were dropping, and the cleaning was continuing.

......... I can't tell you how many "first world" passengers who don't have the basic sanitation standard to wash their hands after using the toilet.

And for the record, I've sailed as a ship's officer for 39 years, with 4 years on cruise ships, so I also know what to "check out" on a ship.[/quote]

Hi chengkp,

as always I like to read your posts because they are based on your work experience and facts.

I just got email from someone who also works on cruise ships for many years and at the present time is working on AOS.

He answered my question about the noro on AOS.

There were about 50 sick people (noro symptoms) on the last sailing.

Ship is really clean but new guests are bringing whatever virus they have.

About your comment of not washing hands - I have seen that many times.

During the summer I volunteered to work at one of the local festivals.

My information booth was not far from a long row of portable toilets ( there had to be at least 30 of them and two portable hand washing stations).

I had a very good view of people coming out of the toilets ...... the great majority, maybe as many as 90% did not stop at the washing stations.

That was in USA.

Chengkp do not let some of the comments bother you.

Edited by wieslaw

Thanks. That's about 1% reporting.

The comments don't bother me, I just feel that I need to count to 10 before hitting the reply when some of the things are said. I don't like to get upset, and I certainly don't take it personally.

I think you're absolutely right. A member of our dining table called a crew member back after leaving the cubicle of a rest room without washing his hands ( he was mortally embarrassed and apologetic but still) and I myself told a young lady off ( wearing the Windjamner uniform) because she just dipped the tips of her fingers in just water for two seconds. I told her very politely that her 'hand washing' was not sufficient given the gravity of the Noro situation on board.

Well I hate to get you further upset, but in men's room anywhere, on a cruise ship, in a mall, in a restaurant, etc., it seems like 50% of men walk out of the bathroom without even looking at the sink!:eek:

To others, making excuses, stop making excuses!

3 weeks in a row is wrong, no how many, no excuse is acceptable!

Edited by American Bear

The most common source of "sewer" odors onboard ship are not "mechanical failure of sanitary systems", but the simple fact that the U-traps in deck drains (the most common one is the bathroom floor drain (not the shower, the one usually by the door in the dry zone)) dry out from the A/C reducing the humidity in the cabins, so that the smell has no block to coming back up the pipe (this is what the U-trap under your sink, shower, tub, and toilet at home are for).

I'd long suspected that the occasional whiff was a plumbing "burp". That also means I can possibly solve it happening to my own cabin with a half a glass of tap-water slowly poured into the probably-dry drain...

I'd long suspected that the occasional whiff was a plumbing "burp". That also means I can possibly solve it happening to my own cabin with a half a glass of tap-water slowly poured into the probably-dry drain...

Yep, I've recommended this on several "odor" threads.

We sailed on Celebrity Infinity this past May on a TA from Miami to London. The ship was under 'code red' for Noro during the 2 or 3 previous sailings before ours. When it reached Miami it also underwent a 'deep cleaning'. We boardred our ship 4 hours late because of it and for the first several days, the crew had to pull double duty making sure there were no more incidents of people getting sick. As others have mentioned, there was no self-service ANYTHING, including getting your own coffee or using salt and pepper shakers. The buffet lines were slow because crew had to dish out all the food. Everyone took it in stride though. We were all grateful for the hard work of the crew. By the time we got to New York City a couple of days later, the ship was inspected there and we got a 100% clear rating. After that, we returned to business as usual in terms of being able to self-serve. There were no more incidents of illness that we heard of.

We are booked on the Nov 2 sailing of AOS, and I'm expecting a similar experience. We have not yet received any emails about a late departure but I wouldn't be surprised if we did.

We sailed on Celebrity Infinity this past May on a TA from Miami to London. The ship was under 'code red' for Noro during the 2 or 3 previous sailings before ours. When it reached Miami it also underwent a 'deep cleaning'. We boardred our ship 4 hours late because of it and for the first several days, the crew had to pull double duty making sure there were no more incidents of people getting sick. As others have mentioned, there was no self-service ANYTHING, including getting your own coffee or using salt and pepper shakers. The buffet lines were slow because crew had to dish out all the food. Everyone took it in stride though. We were all grateful for the hard work of the crew. By the time we got to New York City a couple of days later, the ship was inspected there and we got a 100% clear rating. After that, we returned to business as usual in terms of being able to self-serve. There were no more incidents of illness that we heard of.

We are booked on the Nov 2 sailing of AOS, and I'm expecting a similar experience. We have not yet received any emails about a late departure but I wouldn't be surprised if we did.

My parents are also booked on the 11/2 AOS sailing, so I'd be interested in an update if you are able. :)

On the 26th roll call, it was reported that passengers received an email describing a late departure due to another deep cleaning. Also reported that that cruise would have nearly 900 children as school is out. Indy had regular boarding on the 25th without delays.

The TA sailing on Nov 2, because of its 14 day length, is typically mostly an older generation like myself with more health concerns. It would be nice if RCL would make an official comment as to conditions and not not wait till the day before sailing. There are many passengers that board on Nov. 2 that have come great distances and will have nowhere to wait out a delayed boarding if it comes to that. The last post on the 26th cruise stated that "chaos reigns", I don't

Know it that refers to the delayed boarding or some other problem!

Again, would some one on the 26th sailing post!

Hal

Eliminating the ship might be the problem!

There is no absolute in cleaning a ship, you hope you get everything!

If the crew wasn't the problem, its the ship!

For someone that seems to be very sure of themselves, please enlighten the rest of us how an inanimate object can become infected.

I was under the impression that only carbon based, organic lifeforms were susceptible to and capable of contracting viruses or infections.

Edited by AltarEgo

Indy had regular boarding on the 25th without delays.

Hal

Yes, looks like they didn't get the deep clean on Indy on Saturday - someone posted on our roll call they were on the ship just after 11am :confused:? Not heard anything from Royal to say we have delayed boarding tomorrow, so unsure what's happened regarding the clean/Noro outbreak :confused:?

For someone that seems to be very sure of themselves, please enlighten the rest of us how an inanimate object can become infected.

I was under the impression that only carbon based, organic lifeforms were susceptible to and capable of contracting viruses or infections.

Well let me enlighten you specifically!;)

Disease of all types can be left behind on inanimate surfaces by sick people!

So you, as a carbon based organic life form can contract the disease from touching an object with the disease on it!:eek:

Its also possible the Ship wasn't thoroughly cleaned, which was the meaning of the 'ship can be sick' comment!

Edited by American Bear