Upgrade - Constellation 2B to A1 - Worth it?

Aussie Jeep

Hello All I have a Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom Veranda Cabin (2B) and for an extra USD$55- per day I can upgrade to a A1 Aqua Stateroom. I am traveling Solo. Can you please give me some guidance if it is worth the extra $277- to upgrade? I have read what the Aqua Suites provide but I still have some questions.

1. Is there a free Sauna/Steam room that all guests can access on the Constellation or do you have to pay the Spa fee for the 5 days? If you have to pay the fee for the Spa how much is it?

Is Blu worth the extra?

Thanks

With your current reservation, do you have dinner booked to sit at a large table with other people every night (traditional dining), and do you like that idea?

I've only been in Blu once, but on our cruise we did not notice anyone dining solo in Blu. The vast majority of the tables were couples, and the larger tables were parties that seemed to already know each other. Since you can come at any time you want each night, it is very likely you will probably dine alone every night, unless you meet other Blu passengers and make your own arrangements to dine together. There was one large table where they put people together once the smaller tables ran out, but that only happened a couple of times.

There is a sauna in each locker/changing room ;) near the T-pool that is free to anyone, but the steam and other sauna are within the Persian Gardens which (in my opinion) was nothing special.

And you mention an Aqua "Suite" - is the Connie the ship that has the suites, and is this upgrade to a "suite", or is it for an AQ "cabin" which is pretty much same size as a regular cabin?

Edited by warmwinds

Not worth the $55 per day in my opinion,

As stated above Blu is mainly couples, if you have

The drink package the water is free anyway,

if not it won't cost you $55 per day,

The Sauna on the M class ships are free the Persian Garden is

really not anything to write home about

I certainly wouldn't pay $55 a day merely to eat in Blu, which I find quite average, but the A1 cabins on the Connie are very well situated IMO. If you are happy with the location of your 2B, I would advise you to keep it, as the one drawback with some of the A1s is that they are near the exterior doors and they do slam when closing.

Having been on the Connie in an AQ1, I would do it for just $277 more!

The AQ1 are newer staterooms, and we loved the location (1132) near the aft staircase and elevators, plus the aft staircase down to the Sunset Bar. We didn't hear any slamming of doors, but I understand that the forward hall doors can slam. Many times, those were roped off from passengers using them. If we used them, we made sure that we closed them quietly behind us. ;)

Also, there is a nice little seating area near the elevators that you could use for quiet reading, if you wish, and not feel confined to your stateroom.

Better food in Blu, and we loved eating breakfast there. Some of the 2 top tables are close together, so even if you were sitting alone, you could start up a conversation with fellow diners. The service in Blu is outstanding!

Edited by Iamthesea

We did not find better food in Blu on our recent Silhoutte cruise. We had wonderful service with traditional dining in the MDR. Even on our first suite cruise two years ago, I did not like the food in Blu as much but DH liked the extra service over Select dining. This last time, we got good food and service with the same wait staff every night in the MDR.

We did not find better food in Blu on our recent Silhoutte cruise. We had wonderful service with traditional dining in the MDR. Even on our first suite cruise two years ago, I did not like the food in Blu as much but DH liked the extra service over Select dining. This last time, we got good food and service with the same wait staff every night in the MDR.

I based my opinion on the Constellation.

Two months before I sailed on the Connie and dined in Blu, only, I sailed on the Connie to the Caribbean.. We had a Suite, but only ate in Blu for breakfast (fresh squeezed OJ and any food you asked for :)). We ate in the MDR for the evenings because didn't want to pay the extra for 3 persons to eat in Blu. The dining room food was subpar to Blu.;) Service, also!

Edited by Iamthesea

Fact... Higher categories have better locations are more perks.

Aqua is a good sized jump up from a 2B (Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda) even on the Constellation (Concierge Class... C3, C2, and C1 sit in between)

Aquas are on higher decks (9 & 11) and have more perks than either a regular veranda stateroom or even Concierge Class

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-constellation#Staterooms/ships/celebrity-constellation/staterooms/stateroom-subtype-cs-a2

Aqua is also touted as a cleaner / active lifestyle... Which cabin amenities that reflect that, locations aboard that offer close access to the spa, the Persian Gardens retreat, and priority spa bookings via the spa concierge... And of course the private Blu DR.

I have heard that Blu is very good (we will only cruise Aqua for our first time this December... Also on Constellation) but as mentioned by design it has more 2 tops and if you want to socialize it probably s going to take more of an effort on your part than if you were doing Traditional Dining in the MDR

Personally, if I was sailing solo, and already facing the 200% Fare (full cabin price) I don't think I would make the leap up to Aqua.

You can buy a Persian Garden Pass if you really want to take in this space on your cruise (GO SEE IT when you are touring around the ship on E-Day). If you like it, there are Day / Cruise Long Passes available for sale in the spa.

The money you save on Aqua Class can also be put to good use in Specialty Dining if you so choose. We find the meals in the MDR to be quite good... And a fair bit of variety... So we cannot say we get bored with them. We eat in a Specialty Restaurant typically once on our week long cruises... Sort of a special night out if you will (just like home, lol)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Sloop-JohnB has a good point about using that $277 to eat in Specialty Restaurants. ;) Even so, if it were DH and I, it would be a no-brainer to upgrade. Of course, it would be more to upgrade with two persons.

DH wants to upgrade from our 1A to an AQ on our 11 night upcoming Equinox cruise. I think that going from $1819pp to $4449pp is a bit TOO much! :eek:

Edited by Iamthesea

Sloop-JohnB has a good point about using that $277 to eat in Specialty Restaurants. ;) Even so, if it were DH and I, it would be a no-brainer to upgrade. Of course, it would be more to upgrade with two persons.

DH wants to upgrade from our 1A to an AQ on our 11 night upcoming Equinox cruise. I think that going from $1819pp to $4449pp is a bit TOO much! :eek:

Unless a really good price is offered for AQ, I believe a good balcony cabin and some nights in specialty restaurants is the most cost effective and enjoyable way to travel. My wife likes the venue in Blu and the service is good, but the poor waiters are still running around like crazy, much as in the MDR. For my taste the food there is not substantially different than in the MDR. I do like the A1 cabins on the Connie, and we'll be taking our fourth trip in one of them next week.

I just want to chime in. I guess I'm feeling a bit chatty this morning and I really like the Aussies that we've traveled with so I feel like putting in my opinion, especially about the quality of food in Blu vs the MDR.

It kind of makes me smile when people express an opinion that there isn't really a difference between food in Blu and the MDR, especially when it comes to flavor, quality, etc. Because that's the whole point! I've spoken with a number of the Head Chefs responsible for Blu; I've received several of their recipes, in fact, especially for their soups because I find it amazing that they can achieve the flavor that they do with the ingredients that they use.

Blu is a restaurant that is advertised as being slightly more healthy, catering to individuals who enjoy a spa-ish lifestyle. To that end, Blu kitchens use different methods of cooking that will allow the food to be prepared with LESS creme, butter, and salt. Some people say that they find the food to be bland; you will get that comment from people who are used to having their food a bit over-seasoned, especially. It's not to say that there isn't a speck of creme or butter or salt in the preparation; it's to say that they use different kitchen skills to achieve the same type of creaminess for a "creamed mushroom soup" with slightly less creme than the MDR that will pour a substantial amount of creme into the "creamed mushroom soup."

In any event, I just wanted to discuss that aspect, if it's of any interest to you. I think that spending extra money is always a question of whether that spend will bring back value to you. For me, it would... for a number of reasons.

I have sailed in Blu, on the Constellation. I have sailed in a Concierge stateroom, on the Constellation. In fact, I did this on a B2B sailing, so I had quite an opportunity for comparison, without the inevitable forgetfulness setting in. I enjoyed myself in both staterooms, quite frankly.

In Blu, as a solo traveler, you will be very well attended and extra attention will be paid to you to give you a level of comfort. You will find a number of solo eaters, especially for breakfast. It has been my observation that the maitre 'd will ascertain a seating for you that will place you next to, what I would call, "chatty" neighbors. I've witnessed a number of solo diners in Blu over various cruises; I think that they're excellent at making everyone feel welcome. In Blu, you won't find yourself associated with a specific table, like in the MDR. But, you will find yourself surrounded by familiar faces, especially if you are any kind of person with a routine, like dining around the same time for breakfast and dinner, etc.

As I said, just my opinion with a little factual knowledge thrown in.

I just want to chime in. I guess I'm feeling a bit chatty this morning and I really like the Aussies that we've traveled with so I feel like putting in my opinion, especially about the quality of food in Blu vs the MDR.

It kind of makes me smile when people express an opinion that there isn't really a difference between food in Blu and the MDR, especially when it comes to flavor, quality, etc. Because that's the whole point! I've spoken with a number of the Head Chefs responsible for Blu; I've received several of their recipes, in fact, especially for their soups because I find it amazing that they can achieve the flavor that they do with the ingredients that they use.

Blu is a restaurant that is advertised as being slightly more healthy, catering to individuals who enjoy a spa-ish lifestyle. To that end, Blu kitchens use different methods of cooking that will allow the food to be prepared with LESS creme, butter, and salt. Some people say that they find the food to be bland; you will get that comment from people who are used to having their food a bit over-seasoned, especially. It's not to say that there isn't a speck of creme or butter or salt in the preparation; it's to say that they use different kitchen skills to achieve the same type of creaminess for a "creamed mushroom soup" with slightly less creme than the MDR that will pour a substantial amount of creme into the "creamed mushroom soup."

In any event, I just wanted to discuss that aspect, if it's of any interest to you. I think that spending extra money is always a question of whether that spend will bring back value to you. For me, it would... for a number of reasons.

I have sailed in Blu, on the Constellation. I have sailed in a Concierge stateroom, on the Constellation. In fact, I did this on a B2B sailing, so I had quite an opportunity for comparison, without the inevitable forgetfulness setting in. I enjoyed myself in both staterooms, quite frankly.

In Blu, as a solo traveler, you will be very well attended and extra attention will be paid to you to give you a level of comfort. You will find a number of solo eaters, especially for breakfast. It has been my observation that the maitre 'd will ascertain a seating for you that will place you next to, what I would call, "chatty" neighbors. I've witnessed a number of solo diners in Blu over various cruises; I think that they're excellent at making everyone feel welcome. In Blu, you won't find yourself associated with a specific table, like in the MDR. But, you will find yourself surrounded by familiar faces, especially if you are any kind of person with a routine, like dining around the same time for breakfast and dinner, etc.

As I said, just my opinion with a little factual knowledge thrown in.

Hi MEMBER123,

Thank you for this... Very informative.

Mr Sloop & I are sailing in Aqua Class for the first time shortly, and have both been looking forward to, and yet a tad concerned about eating in Blu... For precisely the reasons you point out... Such a wide range remarks by fellow Cruisers on their experiences with the venue.

We know that food is subjective... Everyone's taste buds, life experiences & preferences are different... But the lines came across so clearly here on CC as the Blu YES Camp and the Blu NO Camp... That it has caused us to question our booking in Aqua Class on The Constellation

Your explanation makes total sense.

I feel less anxious now

Thank you

Cheers!

Thank you, Memeber123. Wonderful explanation. ;)

My wife likes the venue in Blu and the service is good, but the poor waiters are still running around like crazy, much as in the MDR. For my taste the food there is not substantially different than in the MDR. I do like the A1 cabins on the Connie, and we'll be taking our fourth trip in one of them next week.

Probably because they are frantically running to get MDR dishes, for passengers, that are not offered in Blu. :D Also, I have noticed that the portions have increased, butter is now at the table (I'd prefer O&V for breads), and dishes are more seasoned than they used to be. I guess there were too many complainers from passengers that didn't know what they had booked. :rolleyes:

My last Celebrity cruise was 15 days in an Aqua Class Suite on the Reflection. My next Celebrity cruise will be 16 days in a category A2 stateroom on the Constellation. Just throwing this out there as background information.

I found the environment in Blu to be very comfortable, both physically and socially. My partner and I really like the chairs and the banquet seating along the wall is even better. Sometimes we are social with the guests dining at tables around us if it appears that they may be open conversation. Sometimes there are those little moments that you acknowledge with a look or a giggle that turn into wonderful table-side conversation. Other times you just go on about your meal. Service in Blu was wonderful. Over 15 days, there were a few moments where staff seemed to be pressed thin and service was a tad slow or lacking, but that was not the norm and I didn't feel that it was any different in Blu than if I were in another dining venue or at a land based dining venue for that matter.

Thank you Member123, as an Aussie, I really enjoy sailing with the many epople I meet from the USA. I have travelled your country extensively and am now starting to take advantage of the many cruise offerings that you have there.

To other CC posters also thank you I am really enjoying your discussion and advices.

Thank you.