NCL Breakaway tips

blueflower1968

We've done the BA twice (and are heading out on her again in 10 days). One tip about leaving from Manhatten terminal - one March when we cruised from NYC there was a half marathon which past not far from pier 88 and created havoc the day we left. You might want to check on events for your departure and return Sundays.

The Uptown Grill is a great breakfast and lunch alternative and far less crowded than the Garden Cafe. They do omelets and eggs to order in the morning and have deli sandwiches to order, meatball subs, seasoned fries... At lunch. The seated area is right at the base of the rock wall, so it can be fun to eat and watch the climbers. Oh, if it's cold coming back it may be closed since it's open air.

When leaving NYC the city will be on the port side, and then lady liberty will be on the starboard. Passing under the Verrazano narrows bridge is kind of cool too.

The margarita tasting is wonderful. I like Moderno more than Cagneys, but my favorite pay restaurant is the noodle bar, Shanghai's. Especially fun if you can sit at the grill area and watch and chat with the chefs.

Wonderful thread. Thank you OP for starting it. I hope more CCers will leave their Breakaway tips here. It is our first NCL cruise after 8 Carnival and 1 RCC cruise. I want to be as informed as possible.

thanks again.

If you plan on doing anything in the atrium get there early. It fills up quickly as does the overlook at O'Sheehans.

Stay away from the hot dog carts. It's not worth it lol. Get a real one in NYC before you get on the ship.

Edited by jenny105

• 2 months later...
Bringing this thread back up.

Can someone tell me what dining venues are open for lunch upon embarking? Thanks ahead. :)

I remember it was Taste, Garden Cafe (Buffet) and O'sheenan were open. Had me the hot pie, hot wings, and mozzarella sticks from O'sheenan on embark day- service was kinda slow but the food was good. :D

Download & preinstall the newest (free) NCL iConcierge App from Android or Apple Store onto your favorite device (works fine on our tablet & iPads) - once onboard, register/sign-in with your pax/cabin info as most features only work onboard with the ship's WiFi (intranet) - which is reasonably fast.

It will keep track of your OnBoard Account, Reservations along with online Dallies, last minute notices from the ship/CD's, deck plans & dining options/hours and activities onboard, etc. It's like using the BA's interactive TV menu system.

The extra costs with a one-time charge, is SMS/text or voice calling other registered iConcierge users on the ship (calls to land & other mobile users via satellite are NOT included) Internet access to social media using the App excluded, obviously.

Remember to set your device on Airplane Mode & turn-on WiFi only, get familiar with how to do it before sailing - I carried my smartphone as I used its camera features and it's also my alarm clock & flashlight - and charge it nightly.

I just booked the Breakaway for March 22, 2015 and looking for any tips or advice or helpful hints, I've never sailed on the Breakaway before :)

Thanks so much !!

We are booked for the same cruise!!! Are you on our meet up group as well? :)

Just got back- would recommend some of the following things:

1. Waterfall by Spice H20

2. Try Cagney's once

3. Try the Pot Pie at O Shennans

4. Try the Pot Pie at O Shennans again

5. Call a week before or so to check on upgrading

6. Also sit out by waterfront during the day- walk around it later at night

7. Go to GSC for 4-5 hours, make that port priority #1

8. Have Pot Pie again at O Shennans- to go- and eat on balcony

9. Go to Howl at Moon

10. Go to Fat Cats

11. Try Eggplant Parm

12. Pack on Friday so you can enjoy Saturday-

13. Do Bingo 1-4 times but skip slots, Bingo is more sociable

14. Do Wine Lovers show and when you get there drink everything in sight ASAP as they will replace it.

14b. If you are not sure if the drink is your neighbors; drink it anyway to be on the safe side.

15. Try to sleep 6 hours a night so you won't be writing a silly list of 21 things to try the evening after you get back and return to work for 11 hours.

16. Bring one of those 24 ounce or 32 ounce water bottles- they come in handy for orange juice, tea etc.. Especially when faced with having to carry Pot Pie outside.

17. Think twice about shore excursions, sometimes it is more enjoyable to stay on the ship and spend the money on bingo instead.

18. Consider doing a shore excursion perhaps after losing at bingo 3 times.

19. If you are still reading this, consider going to NCL and researching the shore excursions. Or perhaps just read a book instead.

20. Sometimes it is worth it to pick you cabin even when upgrading- read others reviews to see if there are areas to avoid

21. Go to the MDR for lunch perhaps at least once or twice- it is a nice break from the buffet and relaxing to sit.

LOVE this list!!! Can't wait to try the Pot pie!!!

The tastings are on sea days so there will be at least three. The latest Dailies I saw posted showed beer, martini, and margarita. The bad thing is they are often offered on the same day but no way could the average person do a margarita tasting at 2 and then a martini tasting at 3:30 without just passing out the rest of the night, lol..... We did the Wine Lover's musical at 12:30 and then did a martini tasting at 3:30 and then had to take a nap til about 8, lol. I'm surprised we found our way back to our cabin!

I did the martini tasting and then ran to the margarita tasting on the Jewel - I had no problems functioning afterward :)

We did this cruise in November and while the Breakaway is lovely, the cruise itinerary itself was terrible and here's why: it rained in Florida and rained some more going to the Bahamas that the captain cancelled the GSC part (rough seas). Got to Nassau early but still stormy. Paid for expensive Aquaventure excursion to Atlantis which was our biggest regret. I think it's overrated and overpriced. It's no wonder this place was deader than the dodo bird. Sure their lazy river ride was nice but there are only 3 other water rides after that. Went to their beach and did not enjoy it. Went to the aquarium which was lovely but after that there was nothing else to see. We were done in less done 3 hours. And you have to pay for locker rental. In other words, avoid this excursion at all costs! It's not worth it.

Edited by Yvamne

We did this cruise in November and while the Breakaway is lovely, the cruise itinerary itself was terrible and here's why: it rained in Florida and rained some more going to the Bahamas that the captain cancelled the GSC part (rough seas). Got to Nassau early but still stormy. Paid for expensive Aquaventure excursion to Atlantis which was our biggest regret. I think it's overrated and overpriced. It's no wonder this place was deader than the dodo bird. Sure their lazy river ride was nice but there are only 3 other water rides after that. Went to their beach and did not enjoy it. Went to the aquarium which was lovely but after that there was nothing else to see. We were done in less done 3 hours. And you have to pay for locker rental. In other words, avoid this excursion at all costs! It's not worth it.

I have to disagree with you. Although I find Florida not very exciting, the Bahamas cruise I did in November a few years ago was awesome. You cannot blame Atlantis for foul weather. We had great weather and found atlantis well worth the $... So much so, my husband and I are doing this itinerary next month. And yes, spending the $ on atlantis. You can't possibly blame NCL or Atlantis for poor weather conditions.

And only 3 other waterslides? I think you missed half the park.

If the other place is Blue Lagoon for the dolphin encounter, we went a few years back and really enjoyed it. The dolphin experience itself was wonderful-we did the more involved option of the two where you get pushed by a dolphin in the end [or, in my case, I needed two dolphins]. The beach looked fun but we had already spent the previous day on the private island and were getting over sunburns, so we didn't spend time there. The one thing that wasn't great was the food. Seemed like limited options and overpriced. But, you don't go there for the food.