NCL Breakaway tips

blueflower1968

Great thread!! What day is the fireworks? What is the best location to view them and what time should we get there to get a good spot?

Also, can you please share more info on the martini / margarita tasting?

Lastly, seating at the pool- we would have to grab a chair near the children’s pool, bc we have two little ones… where is this in relation to the live band and entertainment?

Thanks, so excited!!

Last year, fireworks were around midweek and best viewed on the right (port?) side of ship. They were great. The kiddie pools are at the opposite end of the deck where entertainment is. Legally blonde was good for kids. The comics (Levity) are great but probably not funny for kids. Even Illusarium is best for older kids, maybe 12 and up.

Edited by mrobstad

Best view for fireworks on Breakaway are port side (left side of ship), Waterfront deck 8 or aft in Spice H2O. Which night varies on different itineraries. We watched them from our deck 10 port side balcony in July.

Martini tasting on day 2 at Shakers at 3pm. There was also a NCL U"Progressive Wine Tasting" at La Cucina day 2 at 1:30.

Check out your freestyle daily newsletter that is available at embarkation and is left on your bed every evening by your stateroom steward. Not sure about the children's pool. My kid was 19 when we sailed ;)

Cheers!

Last year, fireworks were around midweek and best viewed on the right (port?) side of ship. They were great. The kiddie pools are at the opposite end of the deck where entertainment is. Legally blonde was good for kids. The comics (Levity) are great but probably not funny for kids. Even Illusarium is best for older kids, maybe 12 and up.

Legally Blonde is on the Getaway and not the Breakaway.

We are on starboard side. Hmm wondering if we should switch sides now incase it would be difficult to get a spot on deck? What are your thoughts?

We were on the breakaway 11/14, full ship and didn't have a problem finding a spot on the deck to watch fireworks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going on Breakaway to Bermuda for the first time! My question is: when they say 5:00pm on the last day, is that when the boat leaves or when you have to be back on the boat? Trying to plan activities and one wouldn't be back until 4:30 or so...hmm

Going on Breakaway to Bermuda for the first time! My question is: when they say 5:00pm on the last day, is that when the boat leaves or when you have to be back on the boat? Trying to plan activities and one wouldn't be back until 4:30 or so...hmm

If you're looking at a ship-sponsored excursion, it's completely fine, as the ship would not leave until all of the NCL excursions return. They wouldn't schedule an excursion that won't get you back in time to leave. If you're striking out on your own, you definitely cannot book or plan any activity that would get you back only 30 minutes before the ship's departure. If anything is the slightest bit off in terms of time and you're late finishing/getting back, the ship will leave without you.

Two years ago on the Dawn, our balcony was facing Heritage Wharf in Bermuda. We got treated to the little show of the last two arrivals (assuming no one actually missed the ship) jumping out of a cab and literally sprinting like Olympians to get back on moments before they closed up the gangway. I would not want to be the person being pointed and laughed at by all of the observers on their balconies :D.

5:00 the ship leaves.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just off the breakaway this morning.

If you go to a show get there as soon as they open, seats fill up quickly and make sure you reserve them online ahead of time. I went to rock of ages (I believe they said it was there last show on the breakaway) and seats filled up within 10 minutes.

If you want good breakfast food go to savor or taste not the buffet.

I would recommend trying the slides on day 1, my wife and I did them twice with no line.

If you want a chance to grab a chair and get some sun, spice H2O was never packed and the bar service was very quick.

Just got back- would recommend some of the following things:

1. Waterfall by Spice H20

2. Try Cagney's once

3. Try the Pot Pie at O Shennans

4. Try the Pot Pie at O Shennans again

4a. Order the wings at O Shennans w/o the sauce, will be better, get on side

5. Call a week before or so to check on upgrading

6. Also sit out by waterfront during the day- walk around it later at night

7. Go to GSC for 4-5 hours, make that port priority #1

8. Have Pot Pie again at O Shennans- to go- and eat on balcony

9. Go to Howl at Moon

10. Go to Fat Cats

11. Try Eggplant Parm

12. Pack on Friday so you can enjoy Saturday-

13. Do Bingo 1-4 times but skip slots, Bingo is more sociable

14. Do Wine Lovers show and when you get there drink everything in sight ASAP as they will replace it.

14b. If you are not sure if the drink is your neighbors; drink it anyway to be on the safe side.

15. Try to sleep 6 hours a night so you won't be writing a silly list of 21 things to try the evening after you get back and return to work for 11 hours.

16. Bring one of those 24 ounce or 32 ounce water bottles- they come in handy for orange juice, tea etc.. Especially when faced with having to carry Pot Pie outside.

17. Think twice about shore excursions, sometimes it is more enjoyable to stay on the ship and spend the money on bingo instead.

18. Consider doing a shore excursion perhaps after losing at bingo 3 times.

19. If you are still reading this, consider going to NCL and researching the shore excursions. Or perhaps just read a book instead.

20. Sometimes it is worth it to pick you cabin even when upgrading- read others reviews to see if there are areas to avoid

21. Go to the MDR for lunch perhaps at least once or twice- it is a nice break from the buffet and relaxing to sit.

I added 4a, the wings are better w/o the sauce.