waterproof pants--Seasoned Alaska Travelers

lovetotraveltx

We have cruised in June many times and ALWAYS pack our lightweight waterproof rain/wind pants. Our pants can be rolled up into a little pouch, packed into our backpacks and used when needed. I will say that the pants have come in handy multiple times during our cruises.

Waterproofed shoes and jacket are also very helpful.

Edited by Italy52

I went through this same debate before our trip this past summer. I'm not a very outdoorsy type person so knew the chances of my ever wearing rain pants again was slim.

In the end I found a cheaper pair (~$15) online and was glad I did. It rained lightly the entire day we were in Juneau and without the pants it would have been pretty miserable. We spent the morning on a whale watching tour and then hiked at the Mendenhall Glacier and visited a few other sites around the city such as The Shrine of St. Therese.

It was also rainy the day we were driving from Anchorage to Seward and when we stopped at the Wildlife Conservation Center it was a muddy mess. With waterproof shoes, jacket and pants we were able to walk around without worrying about being wet.

Think of the purchase as insurance. You may never need them, but if you do you will be glad you have the pants. I bought mine in a larger size knowing that my husband would be able to wear them in the future. (I used rubber bands to keep the pant legs from dragging!)

I live in the Seattle area and I have been to Alaska 7 times. I do not even own waterproof pants and have never considered buying them for an Alaskan cruise. I have never wished I had them on any of my cruises either. Even when we've had rain on excursions or glacier cruising days, my pants have never gotten wet enough to be an issue, except maybe along the hems where they tend to drag on the ground because I'm so short.

Maybe living in Seattle has given me a tolerance for getting a little wet. :rolleyes:

I live in the Seattle area and I have been to Alaska 7 times. I do not even own waterproof pants and have never considered buying them for an Alaskan cruise. I have never wished I had them on any of my cruises either. Even when we've had rain on excursions or glacier cruising days, my pants have never gotten wet enough to be an issue, except maybe along the hems where they tend to drag on the ground because I'm so short.

Maybe living in Seattle has given me a tolerance for getting a little wet. :rolleyes:

I think that's the big difference. For the past 15 years we have lived in places with basically no winter and the sun shines every day. We have no need to go out on a bad day. We are hoping to be lucky but with our 15-day trip I'm assuming we will get quite a bit of rain.

When we lived in Holland, it was much like seattle, I put on my rain slicker and even biked in the rain, otherwise I would have never left home, literally. Don't have that need or mindset now.

I was blessed with beautiful weather on my 20 day trip this past August, with the exception of one day - our disembarkation day in Seward which was our only rainy day. While hiking to exit glacier, I wished I had waterproof pants as my pants got soaked mainly from drip run-off from my raincoat. Unless you are planning a lot of outdoor excursions, I would not go out of my way purchasing them. My waterproof shoes and waterproof jacket was plenty for the most part.

We're doing a cruise tour in May 2015 and debated the same thing. Went online to Sierra Trading Post and found a very reasonably priced pair of waterproof pants. Bought them for both of us. Figured they are lightweight enough that they don't take up room and i'd rather have them than not. And, we can always use them on future cruises when the weather is inclement. Wish we had them 2 years ago when touring Pompeii...drizzly day turned into a torrential downpour...have never been so wet in my life :(

We're doing a cruise tour in May 2015 and debated the same thing. Went online to Sierra Trading Post and found a very reasonably priced pair of waterproof pants. Bought them for both of us. Figured they are lightweight enough that they don't take up room and i'd rather have them than not. And, we can always use them on future cruises when the weather is inclement. Wish we had them 2 years ago when touring Pompeii...drizzly day turned into a torrential downpour...have never been so wet in my life :(

I just went back and checked and Sierra Trading Post was where I ordered my pants from as well...$14.30. I also ordered a pair of hiking socks at the same time which I love! (I'm not a hiker, I just like the socks!!) :)

Took 2 pair of quick-drying pants from Eddie Bauer on our first trip to Alaska 5 years ago. I was SO glad I had them! We had wet days and dry days over 2 weeks. I could wash them in the sink and hang them up. They would be ready to wear the next day. I also put long-johns on under them on a few really cold days. I've worn them many times since for wet weather adventures and plan to take them to Alaska again in 2015. When we go to Alaska it's all about the outdoors...and I'm not an athlete or big outdoors person!

Do you put these pants on over your jeans?

OMG! That sounds like it would be unbearably hot and sweaty!

Quick drying pants are another thing entirely. They can be quite comfortable, not too hot.

My big problem is that I am really short and I can never find "specialty" pants in my size. I'd really like a pair of those zip-off pants, but I've never found any in petite extra short sizes. I have enough trouble just finding jeans that fit.

OMG! That sounds like it would be unbearably hot and sweaty!

Quick drying pants are another thing entirely. They can be quite comfortable, not too hot.

My big problem is that I am really short and I can never find "specialty" pants in my size. I'd really like a pair of those zip-off pants, but I've never found any in petite extra short sizes. I have enough trouble just finding jeans that fit.

Have you tried Eddie Bauer? They have petites in most everything. I shop online with them quite often as I need their tall sizes. The quick-dry pants may be seasonal but if you're going to Alaska they should be carrying them in plenty of time.

I agree; it's raining right now! Having to go outside in the rain to walk the dogs several times a day gets you used to it. I didn't have waterproof pants, shoes, a hat, gloves, etc. on our Alaska cruise. Just a shell and that worked fine.

Look at REI (probably not at the Issaquah store, but online) if you want petite sized convertible pants.

I agree; it's raining right now! Having to go outside in the rain to walk the dogs several times a day gets you used to it. I didn't have waterproof pants, shoes, a hat, gloves, etc. on our Alaska cruise. Just a shell and that worked fine.

Look at REI (probably not at the Issaquah store, but online) if you want petite sized convertible pants.

It's the living in a cold/rainy climate vs. hot/sunny thing again. I would rather be a little over prepared as I tend to get cold really easily and although I grew up in a cold place am not used to it anymore!

We always take ours but have never used them. Evening living here I have used them twice in the last 10 years. Once was while hiking through Cow Parsnip in shorts and needed something to protect my legs from the horibble rash that plant can cause.