Please explain tipping for me

~*Lou*~

Which makes me wonder about those restaurants where the wait staff pools the tips. I'd think those that put out more effort and got the bigger tips would resent splitting their larger tips with those who put out little effort...

In establishments with good reputations & good staff, the wrong-'uns don't last long. ;)

JB :)

OP - you may want to check your cruise lines tipping policy. Industry standard autotips are around 8-10 $ pppd. However some lines based out of the UK have cheaper rates, P&0 and Fred Olsen are 3-4 £ pppd, and on these lines its considered OK to tip your waiter and steward a little extra directly at the end, but ONLY if you want to.

UK tipping policy for visitors - always discretionary (though some restaurants add a 'service charge'.) You would never be expected to tip in a buffet, cafe, self service, stall etc. For a sit down waited on restaurant, yes we would tip then. Bars and pubs are a grey area. We generally dont tip here and certainly not for every drink. If you are a regular or want to tip a server who has a done a great job, when you order, say "and one for yourself" and the server will either help themselves to a drink or put a set amount in a tips jar depending on the bars policy. (One of the things that annoys Brits most about 'foreign' cruise lines is the policy of adding 'gratuities' to every drink :mad: ) Taxi drivers, hotel porters, tour guides - a couple of pounds per person.

UK tipping policy for foreign wait staff and tour guides - contrary to what you have heard Brits do tip sometimes. Golden rule - if you say you accept tips, have a sign up asking for tips, or otherwise look like you expect to be tipped - we will not tip you. Even if we were planning to before you mentioned it :rolleyes:

Accents. The Newfie accent makes me laugh because it sound like a cross between rural UK accents and American, with a bit of pirate thrown in. Obviously I can tell the difference between UK and Aussie - but British characters in US TV shows sound Australian to me. So I'd never sneer at an American for struggling to tell the difference. I wonder if theres something with hearing one accent contrasted against another that actually changes the way we perceive it?

I’m from Australia where we don’t tip in the same way as in Northern America. I don’t want to do the wrong thing!

On arrival at the airport, how much should we tip the driver of our bus transfer from airport to hotel?

So, on the cruise ship, how much should I be tipping, for example, room service, when our bags are delivered to our room, if we buy a speciality/alcoholic drink at the bar or café, if we eat in speciality restaurants where there is a cover charge? What about if we take an excursion off the cruise ship – how much should we tip the tour operator/drive/guide at the end.

How much is appropriate for our room attendant? Should we tip the staff in the Adventure Ocean if my children use the facilities a fair bit?

We have 6 days travel planned in Alaska after the cruise – when and who and how much should we be tipping? Places we visit? Tour operators? Places we stay? Meals we eat?

Many thanks in advance!

Lou :)

1) DO NOT TIP BAR TENDERS(THEY AUTOMATICALLY PUT ON 15-20%)

2) Tip waitress/stewards the second to the last day. $10-20 per person (typically you have 3 wait staff, the same all week when you go to dinner) (you usually have 2 stewards). Bring 5 dollar bills, nothing larger. If they do a really good job then tip the $10-20 per person. If they are not so good then do $5.00 per person.

3) $5.00 for transportation

4) When you are actually in Alaska, you simply tip 15%. for restaurants. Flat fee for maid service, $20 left at the end of your stay.

5) We personally didn't tip the driver of the one excursion but we did for the other $5.

6) Kids adventure- not sure but personally it would depend if my kids had the same staff all week. If they did then I would but if they didn't I wouldn't. I probably wouldn't anyway because you are paying for that service.

Caulder 60....I see that you suggest $20 at the end of a stay, for maid service...is this in hotels? I ask because on our first visit to the US, many years back now, we were with a TA guide, who gathered us all together to explain the tipping culture. She told us to leave $2 per day in the ash tray (that's how long ago it was!) or we might find our room wouldn't be done with the same sort of care.....naturally, we all obeyed.....and not to leave it until the end of the week ;)

Ever since, we've always left £2 in a prominent position in UK rooms, and never once has it been taken, even when there's quite a pile of £1 coins. In the end we put them on the tea tray at the end of our visit- to force her hand, you might say! :rolleyes:

Caulder 60....I see that you suggest $20 at the end of a stay, for maid service...is this in hotels? I ask because on our first visit to the US, many years back now, we were with a TA guide, who gathered us all together to explain the tipping culture. She told us to leave $2 per day in the ash tray (that's how long ago it was!) or we might find our room wouldn't be done with the same sort of care.....naturally, we all obeyed.....and not to leave it until the end of the week ;)

Ever since, we've always left £2 in a prominent position in UK rooms, and never once has it been taken, even when there's quite a pile of £1 coins. In the end we put them on the tea tray at the end of our visit- to force her hand, you might say! :rolleyes:

We always tip hotel housekeeping daily. The $$ is usually left on the pillow unless they have some sort of note or envelope from the maid available.

I would never wait until the end of my stay. What if the person who has been cleaning the room has a day off?

It just goes to show there is no "right" answer. Everyone, even Americans, have different tipping styles.

OP - thanks so much for asking! I look forward to visiting your country where I won't be expected to tip...

Everyone has most things covered - I would add that when dining in a shore restaurant with a party of 6 or more - always ask if the gratuity is included...several times i have added a duplicate tip and I waited tables for 15 years!

Enjoy your cruise!

In response to Caulder60... I would suggest tipping for each individual night at a hotel. Most likely a different maid will service your room over the course of a week. Especially if your room is serviced at "off hours".

In response to Raxter54... "In America, being a waiter/waitress is not considered a good job and most likely attracts a less than enthusiastic group of workers." While this statement may be true at cafes and pancake houses, four and five star restaurant servers are considered professional wait staff with commensurate income. (Look at my cruise history for example, btw I'm a waiter). 18% of average gross sales of $1,200 per night is not too shabby.

If you frequent the same crowded bar or club on board ship, an extra dollar or two in cash will work wonders. As in, most bartenders will serve you immediately without a wait during a busy evening. Try it!

UK tipping policy for foreign wait staff and tour guides - contrary to what you have heard Brits do tip sometimes. Golden rule - if you say you accept tips, have a sign up asking for tips, or otherwise look like you expect to be tipped - we will not tip you. Even if we were planning to before you mentioned it :rolleyes:

Yes yes yes and again I say YES.

As an Aussie I get really T'd off when they ask [directly or otherwise] for a tip.

After several years working in both the UK and Oz, I can tell the difference, and can also tell a Geordie from a Yorkshireman .

Hi All,

The way to tell the difference between a Geordie and a yorkshireman is one of them has had his brains knocked out, but I'm not saying which one.

;););)

Pete

"UK tipping policy for foreign wait staff and tour guides - contrary to what you have heard Brits do tip sometimes. Golden rule - if you say you accept tips, have a sign up asking for tips, or otherwise look like you expect to be tipped - we will not tip you. Even if we were planning to before you mentioned it"

As an Aussie I get really T'd off when they ask [directly or otherwise] for a tip.

There should be a "LIKE" button.

Pete

Edited by Enforcer

"UK tipping policy for foreign wait staff and tour guides - contrary to what you have heard Brits do tip sometimes. Golden rule - if you say you accept tips, have a sign up asking for tips, or otherwise look like you expect to be tipped - we will not tip you. Even if we were planning to before you mentioned it"

Sometimes being the operative word here.:rolleyes:

Since you don't want anything to indicate that tipping is the norm for a particular service in a location with a different tipping culture than your own, how do you propose that they message be given?

Sometimes being the operative word here.:rolleyes:

Since you don't want anything to indicate that tipping is the norm for a particular service in a location with a different tipping culture than your own, how do you propose that they message be given?

Might I turn that question back, how do you propose that the message be given to Americans that not all the world has their tipping culture.

How well we know that, especially those of us that have worked in tipped positions and had to pay tax on tips we never received. Yes, in the US, when you work in a tipped position you are taxed on what the government sees as the expected average based on recorded sales. When you are a waiter/server, bartender, etc the charges for the meals/drinks are recorded and reported for tax purposes. A bellperson (porter as some call them) at a hotel is required to file a tip declaration report to their employer which is filed with the government for taxation also.

Regardless, when I visit another country I try to learn at least a little about their culture and act accordingly. I don't always get it right and I might not agree with it but I try to work within it anyway. You may not agree with our tipping culture but that's the way it is and just because you or others disagree doesn't make it right to disregard it either.

So, sometimes it's necessary to have information posted, or otherwise, that informs of the accepted norm here. With that in mind, once again I ask, how do you propose we do that or do you just propose to disregard it with an I don't care for it, therefore I won't do it? Remember, when you're here, you're not is Aus and your culture does not necessarily work here. If I was in your country I would expect to act with respect for your ways of doing things. Ever heard the saying, "When in Rome"?

How well we know that, especially those of us that have worked in tipped positions and had to pay tax on tips we never received. Yes, in the US, when you work in a tipped position you are taxed on what the government sees as the expected average based on recorded sales. When you are a waiter/server, bartender, etc the charges for the meals/drinks are recorded and reported for tax purposes. A bellperson (porter as some call them) at a hotel is required to file a tip declaration report to their employer which is filed with the government for taxation also.

Regardless, when I visit another country I try to learn at least a little about their culture and act accordingly. I don't always get it right and I might not agree with it but I try to work within it anyway. You may not agree with our tipping culture but that's the way it is and just because you or others disagree doesn't make it right to disregard it either.

So, sometimes it's necessary to have information posted, or otherwise, that informs of the accepted norm here. With that in mind, once again I ask, how do you propose we do that or do you just propose to disregard it with an I don't care for it, therefore I won't do it? Remember, when you're here, you're not is Aus and your culture does not necessarily work here. If I was in your country I would expect to act with respect for your ways of doing things. Ever heard the saying, "When in Rome"?

But you still haven't answered my question:

"how do you propose that the message be given to Americans that not all the world has their tipping culture?"

Should signs go up in certain places saying things like "Please don't tip."

I understand that in the USA certain staff are paid less and tips make up the bulk of their income but do you understand that in areas where a waiter can easily earn upto $50 or more an hour it is getting to the stage that some then expect a tip on top of that.

You see generally in tipping cultures the price of a meal [as an example] will be considerably lower and then the tip is added, but in places where wages are high and penalty rates are payable for working outside normal hours, the price of a meal will be higher and if you are then expected to tip an extra 20% on top it becomes astronomical.

What I am trying to get at is that while many come out all guns blazing when someone doesn't tip to the degree they expect, they refuse to see the flip side.

Now you say you try to follow the local custom, unfortunately not everyone, from The USA or not is the same.

Where the heck does a waiter get paid $50 an hour??? Please let me know, I would like to go work there. I have worked in one of the most expensive resort areas in FL and even at the top, most highly priced restaurant, the waiters were still paid $3 and hour plus tips. Yes, the tips are higher due to being a percentage of the prices for eating there so therefore the server makes more money. That's why the jobs there are in demand compared to other locations and therefore can command the top servers.

Your question seems to suggest that the people working in the US need to adapt to the tipping culture in other parts of the world. It doesn't matter if the tipping culture is different in the US anymore than there are different cultures in Australia. When people travel, I believe they should try to adapt to the culture where you are traveling. Trust me, whether you choose to believe it or not, many of us in the US very much understand that tipping is different around the world and we don't need anyone to get us that "message". And yes, you will see signs in some places here stating that tipping is not expected or even allowed. In some cases an employeee can be discharged for accepting a tip.

I've never had anyone refuse a tip in any place I've traveled to in other parts of the world though, maybe they do in Australia, I haven't been there. Apparently no matter what the tipping culture for locals might be they're more that happy to accept one from me whether they are in a tipped position or not. I don't worry about it, if I've tipped someone I shouldn't because I didn't know the norm, good on them. I do worry if I haven't tipped or undertipped when I should have.

Regardless, a person working in their own country shouldn't have to adapt to the visitor, quite the opposite, the visitor should try to adapt to the country they are visiting. That goes for everyone, including Americans and Ausie's. So when you see signs suggesting tips, or receipts with a tip line, rather than not tipping the worker because you don't like it (which only hurts them, not the business) try to understand that that's the way it is here.

You're right about one thing, there will always be people that are not the same and sadly, many of them couldn't care less about even trying to do what's correct no matter where they're from. At least the OP is making an attempt to understand.

Where the heck does a waiter get paid $50 an hour??? Please let me know, I would like to go work there.

That's my point.

In Australia the mnum adult wage is about $18 an hour so many more experiences waiters are on $20-$25 an hour, then we have little things called penalty rates, that can mean 2 and a 1/2 times the normal hourly rate, so a waiter on minimum can jump to $45 an hour on a public holiday and $36 an hour on a Sunday a more senior waiter on $25 an hour jumps to $62.50 on holidays or $50 on a Sunday, so if we go to a restaurant it is expensive, when the waitstaff start to expect tips on top of that it is crazy.

So no you will seldom find that anyone will say no to extra $ but what of the impact on everyone else when they start to expect it, and it is getting that way.

In Australia the mnum adult wage is about $18 an hour so many more experiences waiters are on $20-$25 an hour, then we have little things called penalty rates, that can mean 2 and a 1/2 times the normal hourly rate, so a waiter on minimum can jump to $45 an hour on a public holiday and $36 an hour on a Sunday a more senior waiter on $25 an hour jumps to $62.50 on holidays or $50 on a Sunday, so if we go to a restaurant it is expensive, when the waitstaff start to expect tips on top of that it is crazy.

And I would absolutely agree about tipping at those rates but that illustrates my point, those are Ausie norms, not US. You will not see those kinds of pay scales here.

You and some other posters appear to be basing your objection to posted tipping reminders in the US, (or is your objection just to signs in your home country and I am misunderstanding) on Australian or UK pay scale. For someone to say they will not tip just because they see a sign stating tips are accepted just demonstrates a lack of understanding or disregard of local custom if it is in the US.

As to your question and concern that if Americans tip in the UK or Australia because that's what they do at home and it might cause folks there to start expecting it, then perhaps there should be signs posted stating that tipping is not the norm or what is indeed appropriate. I can see your concern but signs educating visitors may be necessary just as the opposite signs hopefully do here.

Oh well, I will try to do the correct thing if or when I visit and hopefully others will do the same when they come here. I doubt anything will change due to a conversation we have in this forum. Happy traveling. :)

PS, I am almost amazed that we could have this much of a civilized conversation on CC without someone joining in and flaming one or both of us. :D Hope I haven't spoken to soon. :rolleyes::eek:

And I would absolutely agree about tipping at those rates but that illustrates my point, those are Ausie norms, not US. You will not see those kinds of pay scales here.

You and some other posters appear to be basing your objection to posted tipping reminders in the US, (or is your objection just to signs in your home country and I am misunderstanding) on Australian or UK pay scale. For someone to say they will not tip just because they see a sign stating tips are accepted just demonstrates a lack of understanding or disregard of local custom if it is in the US.

As to your question and concern that if Americans tip in the UK or Australia because that's what they do at home and it might cause folks there to start expecting it, then perhaps there should be signs posted stating that tipping is not the norm or what is indeed appropriate. I can see your concern but signs educating visitors may be necessary just as the opposite signs hopefully do here.

Oh well, I will try to do the correct thing if or when I visit and hopefully others will do the same when they come here. I doubt anything will change due to a conversation we have in this forum. Happy traveling. :)

PS, I am almost amazed that we could have this much of a civilized conversation on CC without someone joining in and flaming one or both of us. :D Hope I haven't spoken to soon. :rolleyes::eek:

where oh where is the like button?

as i have said before - I look forward to visiting Australia where i do not have to tip - but here in the States, and on cruise ships, tipping is the norm.

I live near a large nuclear facility where quite a few Americans work- they settle for 2 or 3 years, and add much to the community.

A neighbour who works in a hotel told us that a large party of people were coming over from the USA for a conference. We all joked that the "tip jar" wouldn't be large enough for the week.

Afterwards we were suggesting that she'd now be rich, but she replied sadly that "they'd been told".....