How much more is a "Call Drink", than say a regular "Vodka/Tonic",

LastUsernameEver

I'm trying to do the math on whether a $56 unlimited package would be worth it to me.

Also...a related question: Let's imagine that a particular cocktail was $12. Since the literature states "any cocktails costing less than $10", can I assume they would charge the extra $2 to my tab...or does it make that cocktail simply not valid for the unlimited package?

Thanks.

Most name brand cocktails are $8.95 now plus the 15% gratuity which brings the actual cost up to $10.29. I think some may be $7.95, depending on the brand.

I'm not 100% sure about your second question, however I think the answer is you can't order a drink that costs more than $10.00 (the 15% gratuity doesn't count) as part of the all inclusive drink package. Perhaps someone else can provide a more informed answer.

I don't think there is that much difference. DH always orders a Bombay Sapphire martini while I order a Cosmopolitan (any vodka is fine with me). Just checked a receipt from our recent cruise and his martini was always $8.95 and mine was $8.25 (before gratuity).

I'm trying to do the math on whether a $56 unlimited package would be worth it to me.

That's $56/day ?? And I believe everyone in the cabin has to purchase it (just so there's no sharing)? So, for easy math, on a 10 day cruise that would be $560 pp or $1120 total. If for one day only your liver told you to take a break, seems a little high.. esp since you cannot order 'good' bottles of wine (by the glass only I believe), and high-end stuff like liquors are not included.

Don't know... just thinking!! And asking.

That's $56/day ?? And I believe everyone in the cabin has to purchase it (just so there's no sharing)? So, for easy math, on a 10 day cruise that would be $560 pp or $1120 total. If for one day only your liver told you to take a break, seems a little high.. esp since you cannot order 'good' bottles of wine (by the glass only I believe), and high-end stuff like liquors are not included.

Don't know... just thinking!! And asking.

No need for all in cabin to purchase.

I don't drink wine...but wine purchases by the bottle are 40% off. Any glass of wine under $10 would be eligible under the package.

Now you've got me interested!! Do you have a link to the package? I've searched Princess, but since I'm not booked yet, may not be able to see the info. Thanks.

Now you've got me interested!! Do you have a link to the package? I've searched Princess, but since I'm not booked yet, may not be able to see the info. Thanks.

Copied and pasted from: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

All-Inclusive Bar Package

Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value). Bottles of wine are NOT included in the package; however, when purchased in the bars, dining rooms, or in the stateroom, will be available at a 40% discount from the menu price. Applicable to all bottles below $100 retail. Note: This package is available for consumption at all bars, public areas and dining venues (not room service and excludes mini bar items). Price includes service charge.

Package is not currently offered on Dawn, Sea and Sun Princess.

IF I bought a drinks package, I'd have to go directly from the cruise to a rehab clinic for alcoholics to dry out.:o

doesn't have to be all alcohol, its surprising how much coffee and bottled water adds up to per day, when i worked it out my coffee and sparkling water + bottled water came to $28 per day.

Thanks.

Here is a link to an Excel spreadsheet that someone on this forum put together to help people determine if the alcohol package is right for them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

I'm sure it took quite a bit of work to put this together and it is a very useful tool. We used it and decided that the $56/day per person was way costlier than just buying our drinks. We knew that if we had the package we would be pushing ourselves to drink more just to get our money's worth. ;)

doesn't have to be all alcohol, its surprising how much coffee and bottled water adds up to per day, when i worked it out my coffee and sparkling water + bottled water came to $28 per day.

Not to mention juice and soft drinks. Personally I like a large glass of juice and I'm not about to grab 4 or 5 of the tiny juice glasses in the buffet and pour them in a large glass. There is always someone who has to make an AA comment. I don't even understand why they bother to read these threads if the package doesn't work for them.

My wife and I are sailing on the Star Princess to Hawaii for 15 days in three weeks and are going to get the package. The first benefit we see is not having to sign all of those individual receipts. When you include the coffee, juice and especially bottled water it all adds up. My one question is whether we can still get buckets of beer with the package. We like to have BOB (buckets of beer) while on deck, we also like to have wine with dinner and have martinis at night. If someone has been able to get BOB please let me know. :p:p

Are u sure? That would be great for us. Wife does't drink much.

Definitely. That lasted maybe two weeks or a month or something when the package was first rolled out. There has been no need for everyone to buy it for a long time now.

I agree with the poster above who linked to the spreadsheet. It lists drinks and prices and you can put in how long your cruise is, how many of each type of drink you thing you will have per day, and it automagically tells you if it's a good deal for you or not. The spreadsheet, as mentioned above is located HERE

To drift back to the title question...is there actually a mixed drink that isn't a call brand?

Typical drink order conversation (on Princess and most every other line):

Pax: Screwdriver, please

Server: What brand would you like?

Pax: Oh, the house brand is fine

Server: Would Stoli [for example] be fine for you?

Pax: whatever/yeah/I don't care

Never assume that being unspecific will get you the well brand--if it even exists.

Indifference as above would very likely result in a higher priced shot that if one took a brief moment to read the bar menu and choose a brand at an acceptable price point. And you will have no problem finding a satisfactory brand within the $10 limit of the beverage package; learn and remember the ones you prefer, as at some point a server may (inadvertently or not) offer you a drink over the limit that would be fully charged to you.

Edited by fishywood

just being on the spreadsheet, this is what i would drink per day,

2x perrier water

2x 500ml water

2x freshly sqeezed orange juice

4x latte throughout the day

1x gin martini before dinner

2x red wine pinot noir with dinner

1x hendricks gin after dinner

1x liquor coffee to finish the day off

total $72.16 per day and being a kiwi that isn't a lot of alcohol lol.

Edited by martin jenkins