Venice disembark night before on Overnight?

mina

I did a search, but can not find the answer to my question. Our cruise ends with an overnight in Venice. I am looking at flight home options. There is a 9 pm flight that looks good. Can I leave the ship with luggage (carrying our own) on the first night - or do we have to wait till the next morning to formally disembark? Thank you!

I did a search, but can not find the answer to my question. Our cruise ends with an overnight in Venice. I am looking at flight home options. There is a 9 pm flight that looks good. Can I leave the ship with luggage (carrying our own) on the first night - or do we have to wait till the next morning to formally disembark? Thank you!

I think that's a question that should be answered by your cruise line. The cruise line I've used a lot in the past allows this, but they need to know in advance, particularly since sometimes immigration and customs formalities are required. Of course, you would have to settle your bill before then, turn in your cruise card, etc. Of course, you would have to make arrangements to get to the airport. I haven't been to Venice, but that's where we're going on our next cruise (embarking) and it's not exactly one of the easiest places to embark or disembark. There is a People Mover that takes passengers from the port to a central location where buses can be taken to the airport. I suppose cabs are able to come to the port, but I'm not positive. There is so much water in Venice that car travel is very limited. Also, I hear that it is a half mile or more from where the ships dock to the the People Mover (monorail type thing) and while often cruise lines arrange a shuttle between the two, this may not be operating at 6 pm or whenever you want to leave the ship. Also, some of the smaller ships (under 1000 passengers, I'm told) dock at an alternate dock location which might have its own pecularities you'll have to look out for.

SO - my guess is that yes, you can probably do it if you want. However, you would definitely need to ask your cruise line if it's allowed and feasible.

Edited by roothy123

When you get onboard your ship; go to guest relations and they will help you out. The main thing is closing out your bill prior to leaving.

From everything I've read on this topic here on CC, arrangements need to be made well in advance of the cruise. My suggestion would be to contact your cruise line directly or through your TA to learn whether it can be done and the procedure for obtaining permission.

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

I suppose cabs are able to come to the port, but I'm not positive. QUOTE]

The only bit I can help with.

Yes, cabs from quayside to airport, no problem.

Which is just as well, because schlepping luggage to the people-mover can't be fun.

Don't know if cabs are stationed at the port looking for trade, or whether you need to pre-book or seek the help of someone at the port to call for a cab.

JB :)

If the OP's ship docks at San Basilio( the small ship dock ) then it is very easy to have a private car meet you just as you exit the small cruise terminal. We did this in June and it could have not been more convenient. Cannot comment on the big ship terminal as we never cruise on big ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all. We decided to stay the night as I realized we arrive in Venice at 1 pm the first day. Do not want to miss the city! Plus, I scored low mileage Frequent Flyer business class tickets on US airways on the 11:30 am flight to PHL the next day. Could not pass that up! So, my other question is -- Does Venice airport have separate check in and security lines for business class? I have heard the airport is a zoo -- so not sure what time we need to be there for the 11:30 flight or if business class will let us skip some of the long line waits I have read about. Thank you!