Cheap container for coconut oil =)

Athankfulheart

I remember discussing this here not too long ago. I happened to be in Aldi this past week and they had a different brand of GoToobs for 1.99 (2pk) of the 3 ounce size. I filled one with unrefined coconut oil which I had whipped ( to keep it creamy). I have mashed on this thing and no leakage. Just thought that I would share incase you have an Aldi store near you. They also had 1.99 zippered clear 3-1-1 bags with plastic bottles inside.

I whip mine with my kitchen mixer....also add some Young Living Lavender Essential Oil. My last cruise in February, I used the coconut oil mixture and for the first time, I did not burn or peal. Also YL carrot seed oil can be added and it has a natural SPF of 38-40....(doesn't smell so good though, so I just add more Lavender oil.

One thing - keep the oil in there for awhile and see how much ends up absorbed in the GoToob… I found out why MoroccanOil was always sold in glass bottles… I put some in a small GoToob to take with me on my trip to Kenya. The oil got absorbed into the toob!!!!! I checked and it didn't leak. I ended up going au natural with my curly hair for the entire trip!!!

I have it filled and setting until my next trip ( Dec 29th) for just that reason. I spoon out the oil into my Kitchen-aide mixer and whip it for a few minutes with the flat beater and then spoon into the container. Since I have been doing this, I my oil neither melts at warm room temps nor does it harden. It used to melt when my house was warm and harden when my house was cooler.

Edited by Athankfulheart

One thing - keep the oil in there for awhile and see how much ends up absorbed in the GoToob… I found out why MoroccanOil was always sold in glass bottles… I put some in a small GoToob to take with me on my trip to Kenya. The oil got absorbed into the toob!!!!! I checked and it didn't leak. I ended up going au natural with my curly hair for the entire trip!!!

I put mine into eye drop (Systane) bottles. Haven't had a problem.

Depending how long of a trip, I'll use old contact lens cases for lotions and gels.

I whip mine with my kitchen mixer....also add some Young Living Lavender Essential Oil. My last cruise in February, I used the coconut oil mixture and for the first time, I did not burn or peal. Also YL carrot seed oil can be added and it has a natural SPF of 38-40....(doesn't smell so good though, so I just add more Lavender oil.

Thank you. :)

I have it filled and setting until my next trip ( Dec 29th) for just that reason. I spoon out the oil into my Kitchen-aide mixer and whip it for a few minutes with the flat beater and then spoon into the container. Since I have been doing this, I my oil neither melts at warm room temps nor does it harden. It used to melt when my house was warm and harden when my house was cooler.

Thanks! Will try this for sure.

Thanks so much. I now have whipped coconut oil! My first attempt was like something out of an I Love Lucy episode but I finally got it right.

• 2 months later...

I am back from my trial run with the Go-Toob style containers from Aldi and they did very well. We had 4 of them with shampoo, body wash, lotion and coconut oil. My coconut oil did wind up melting but it never leaked. I give this product 5 stars :D I had some other bottles that came with my 3-1-1 bag which I used for hair de-frizzing stuff from Paul Mitchell. The bottle was a spritzer and on a hunch, I decided to stick that in a small ziplock by itself. It did leak all over inside the bag. I cant remember where we bought those. It doesn't show up on my Amazon or Ebags account so I must have picked them up locally at walmart or something. Loved the nice zippered bag but will probably toss the rest of the containers.

If you see these travel tubes at Aldi, I would highly recommend you pick up a pack or two .

Thanks for sharing this - I am going to have to look for these containers. I also have been searching for a container to transport my coconut oil and I've learned the hard way that it can easily melt and leak on the way to the cruise. Last time I used a small glass widemouth jar with a twist on lid that I got from an essential oil company. I place a piece of plastic wrap over the jar opening before I screwed on the lid. That worked great.

I also want to try whipping the coconut oil - great idea! Does it come out of the tube easily if it's whipped?

To answer the question about what it's used for, I can't speak for the OP, but I use mine for many things - taking off eye makeup, mixing with essential oils to dilute them, applying to sun burn or for dry skin. I wouldn't go on a cruise without it. :)