Cruise medical crisis on Reflection (our experience)

qualtek

I sympathise very strongly with your parents, being seriously ill on the ship and in a hospital in a foreign port is a nightmare

I do hope your father has recovered.

If you can please relate your experience with any claim for trip interruption, medical costs on board , or hospital. and which company with whom your father was insured.

As related on this thread I am having terrible trouble with Berkely Care (purchased through Cunard Cruise line) They are treating me as though I am a criminal scam artist. If you wish to e mail me direct, my address is: rafex1 @ century link .net .

Best wishes

Lynn

Jimsgirl-

You have posted your situation elsewhere on CC. It has been explained to you repeatedly that NO travel insurance will pay out to you without first having your primary coverage deny coverage, in this case you ABSOLUTELY are required to have Medicare and your supplemental carrier DENY PAYMENT.

Only then will Cunards Travel Insurance carrier process and approve your claim! They don't think you are scamming them, but they have rules no matter how crazy and stupid they may be.... Submit your claim to Medicare and your Supplemental Carrier and get it over with, the sooner you do it the sooner you will get paid.... It's just how the system works!

Hope you are physically doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Linda, I hope your dad is improving. I just read through all of your posts. I have been dealing with collecting on travel insurance for my parents. They didn't have an emergency onboard; they had to cancel after the final payment. It took months to get all the doctors to return paperwork, but we did recoup the total cruise fare (the cruise line only credited the port fees) and the plane tickets.

We had a choice with the airfare to get vouchers for future flights or be refunded. We chose to have insurance refund the fare as we thought it unlikely they would be flying again.

People can say what they want about the cost of healthcare in the US, but the care is unparalleled.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been checking Linda's work website for updates on her father Ron.

It has been posted that Ron passed Saturday, December 6. I'm sure all of us send our deepest sympathies and prayers for the family. Blessings to the family.

Judy

Thanks for the update, Judy.

Linda, I am so very sorry for your family's loss. I hope your, your mom and all will find comfort in memories of happier times, including those days at sea together before your dad became ill.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm sorry to hear about the death of Linda's father, it's very sad after such a long fight he was not able to recover :(

I appreciate the post she made, and all of the additional information that was posted on insurance from many posters. It has caused me to re-evaluate our coverage and make sure we're appropriately covered for our travels. It would benefit many to read.

I have not seen anyone bring up another company that provides evacuation. For our recent month + long trip to Asia, I purchase and annual membership that will cover us for our other cruises as well to Global Rescue. It's similar to MedJet except they will (Hopefully) evacuate us in an issue from a remote place, not just from a hospital or city location. They won't reimburse and they do require an impatient hospitalization, but they will evacuate from a ship at sea or next port of call back to the U.S. or your country of residency (though I did not look to see what countries they cover).

In reviewing our coverage based on this thread, I found a few mixed reviews of Global Rescue which give me pause, but I purchased my membership through an organization I belong to and trust. I also found there are AARP discounts of about 18% for MedJet that may be of interest to some.

Happy sailing,

Jenna