Cruise medical crisis on Reflection (our experience)

qualtek

Look under the ambulance benefit. Mine's on page 50 of my Evidence of Coverage for 2015:

The Ambulance is covered "anywhere in the world" however in the paragraph above the Fixed Wing benefit states "to the nearest appropriate facility" no where does it say you will be evacuated from say somewhere in Turkey to home. In fact it only says an Ambulance will be reimbursed anywhere in the world.

No where does it say they will evacuate you from an international location.

Please do not let other Senior travelers believe they may have this benefit when it is extremely unlikely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

The Ambulance is covered "anywhere in the world" however in the paragraph above the Fixed Wing benefit states "to the nearest appropriate facility" no where does it say you will be evacuated from say somewhere in Turkey to home. In fact it only says an Ambulance will be reimbursed anywhere in the world.

Please do not let other Senior travelers believe they may have this benefit when it is extremely unlikely!

Have you actually been reading my posts? I never led anyone to believe they had this benefit; I stated MY HUSBAND AND I had this benefit through our Kaiser Senior Advantage coverage in CA, and named the plan, and gave the details, and attached the page that states this.

Who said anything about medical transport from outside the country to home????? I was posting about air ambulance/evacuation to a hospital anywhere in the world. It's up to Kaiser to determine what an "appropriate facility" is for us, too. They may decide, just like in the OP's case, that the facility must be in the US, and will pay to get me from, say, Turkey, to the US. My guess, however, is they would authorize transport to the UK if I was in Europe.

However, the annual family AirMed policy I have purchased does transport from an international location to US hospitals: hospital-to-hospital.

Edited by pcur

Have you actually been reading my posts? I never led anyone to believe they had this benefit; I stated MY HUSBAND AND I had this benefit through our Kaiser Senior Advantage coverage in CA, and named the plan, and gave the details, and attached the page that states this.

Who said anything about medical transport from outside the country to home????? I was posting about air ambulance/evacuation to a hospital anywhere in the world. It's up to Kaiser to determine what an "appropriate facility" is for us, too. They may decide, just like in the OP's case, that the facility must be in the US, and will pay to get me from, say, Turkey, to the US. My guess, however, is they would authorize transport to the UK if I was in Europe.

However, the annual family AirMed policy I have purchased does transport from an international location to US hospitals: hospital-to-hospital.

I just got off the phone with Kaiser Member Services, and confirmed that they would fly my husband or I from an international location to the nearest Kaiser facility, if it was determined that was the best location for us to receive the appropriate care. If they wanted to handle the treatment in our local Kaiser area, then they would have the sick/injured person flown to CA.

BUT, some medical transport services don't bill Kaiser directly, so we would have to (in some cases) pay and then submit a claim. Hence, the AirMed and back-up credit card.

See my post just above. I've attached a copy of the ambulance benefits page.

The reason I have AirMed insurance in addition, is so that a medical evacuation is taken care of by them coordinating benefits with Kaiser. Kaiser will pay first, but AirMed will be on the hook to provide the transportation through my policy with them. It's like having double coverage for air evacuation, and not having to pay out the total in advance.

As a back-up we have a high limit credit card with a zero balance that we keep for emergencies only.

Not really double coverage since your ambulance benefits will only take you to the closest facility with the capability to treat. While they might fly you home if that was the best place to treat, the odds of them agreeing is pretty slim, since there are a lot of capable medical facilities around the world and to get the flight home you would have to demonstrate something medically unique (or they might if it were to result in lower expenses for them).

So you can count on your insurance to get you to a facility and AirMed to evacuate you home.

Not really double coverage since your ambulance benefits will only take you to the closest facility with the capability to treat. While they might fly you home if that was the best place to treat, the odds of them agreeing is pretty slim, since there are a lot of capable medical facilities around the world and to get the flight home you would have to demonstrate something medically unique (or they might if it were to result in lower expenses for them).

So you can count on your insurance to get you to a facility and AirMed to evacuate you home.

AirMed goes according to what the attending physician recommends, and that MUST be coordinated with Kaiser. So, it's the Kaiser physician who will determine if we go back to the US.

Kaiser is really, really picky about treating their subscribers at a Kaiser facility, so it just might be cheaper for them to get us home.

I hope we never find out!!!

AirMed goes according to what the attending physician recommends, and that MUST be coordinated with Kaiser. So, it's the Kaiser physician who will determine if we go back to the US.

Kaiser is really, really picky about treating their subscribers at a Kaiser facility, so it just might be cheaper for them to get us home.

I hope we never find out!!!

I use MedJet because they will take me where I determine, if I have any condition that requires hospitalization, not needing any other approval. As such if I ever need evacuation I know my destination is my home hospital.

I use MedJet because they will take me where I determine, if I have any condition that requires hospitalization, not needing any other approval. As such if I ever need evacuation I know my destination is my home hospital.

The reason it has to be coordinated with my Kaiser coverage is so they will pay all the medical related expenses.

The reason I have AirMed is because I don't want to pay the huge cost upfront and get reimbursed, but if I want Kaiser to cover all the medical costs I have to coordinate things through them.

MedJet takes where you want to go, while AirMed coordinates the transfer based on local and home doctor recommendations. Kaiser will almost always want their members back in the US, if it's medically safe to do so.

Edited by pcur

I don't think anyone hijacked this thread at all....the "side" discussion relates to her experience and I, as well as, I'm sure, others are are all hopeful/glad that everything is turning out for the better for the OP and looking forward to updates.

I don't think anyone hijacked this thread at all....the "side" discussion relates to her experience and I, as well as, I'm sure, others are are all hopeful/glad that everything is turning out for the better for the OP and looking forward to updates.

I don't agree, it's totally dominated by a few posters especially the last couple of pages. It's a personal story she's told us not an insurance debate. Take it to a separate thread please.

For those discussing insurance and not the original topic, couldn't you have made your own thread? I'm waiting to hear if Kathy's (OPs) dad is ok and aren't interested in the ins and out of US medical insurance.

I think you should show a little respect to the OP and her seriously ill father rather than hijack this thread :mad:

It is common on CruiseCritic for incidents like this to trigger a discussion on medical evacuation and travel insurance. Very common. It shows no disrespect to the OP, it is not hijacking (if it was the board monitors would take the posts out and move them), and it can literally save a life to know not only what she and her family have been through, but what the readers here can do to educate themselves to be better prepared.

If you receive an email with a response you don't want to fully read, just delete it. It doesn't stop the flow of information from the OP at all.

I'm glad to hear her father is on his way home!

To the OP

T&P that your dad is on the mend and on his way home.

I can think of a bunch of reasons -- our main one is

They can have limits on how long they are valid- Usually only a year from the purchase date, not the fly date. If we are booking some of the travel with miles - things are booked early so we have the most choice. Do you know if you will be able to travel again by the use by date? I never know if it is going to be a quick thing or a major thing that cancels a trip. Will I use the same airline if/when we rebook the trip?? Don't know- the schedules change all the time.

The difference in insuring airfare is usually peanuts and sometimes free. For example, ir your trip cost is $3200, the cost for getting $3200 worth of insurance or $4000 worth of insurance is usually the same with many insurance companies. Cost changes every thousand dollars.

Agreed. Also, having this coverage on your Medicare Advantage Plan is almost worthless if you have an emergency in a foreign country. You would have to make all the arrangements and pay upfront. I don't know about anyone else but I do not have an extra $100,000 lying around or available on my credit card. Also, what do you do if you do not speak the local language. I am a senior and most seniors I know would have no clue how to handle a medical emergency, let along make arrangements for medical evacuation. NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT GOOD TRAVEL INSURANCE! Like someone previously said, if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the trip. Only a fool would attempt to self insure medical evacuation!

For those discussing insurance and not the original topic, couldn't you have made your own thread? I'm waiting to hear if Kathy's (OPs) dad is ok and aren't interested in the ins and out of US medical insurance.

I think you should show a little respect to the OP and her seriously ill father rather than hijack this thread :mad:

DEBBIEMACG,

I believe we are all anxious / caring about the OPs situation with her sick father, mother, lost luggage, and getting back to Canada

(so hope she does post again soon and can tell us much has been resolved & Dad is home in Canada, and getting better every day)

But I have to respectfully disagree with your comments about the Travel Health Insurance Discussion that is clearly also going on as part of this thread

As the OP began in her opening post:

I am writing this from a hospital in Fort Lauderdale, my father had a medical crisis aboard the Celebrity Reflection on October 25th. I am posting their experience because the information might be helpful to others. [/Quote]

It was her INTENTION to share her experience because of the VALUABLE INFORMATION it contained... And might help others.

So the two are indeed one in the same discussion in this post...

Separating them out would water down the urgency / importance of the issue and how things can go wrong, and what can happen.

I myself have learned a lot in this post about Air Evac, something I might not have considered (assumed it was covered) otherwise

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

DEBBIEMACG,

I believe we are all anxious / caring about the OPs situation with her sick father, mother, lost luggage, and getting back to Canada

(so hope she does post again soon and can tell us much has been resolved & Dad is home in Canada, and getting better every day)

But I have to respectfully disagree with your comments about the Travel Health Insurance Discussion that is clearly also going on as part of this thread

As the OP began in her opening post:

It was her INTENTION to share her experience because of the VALUABLE INFORMATION it contained... And might help others.

So the two are indeed one in the same discussion in this post...

Separating them out would water down the urgency / importance of the issue and how things can go wrong, and what can happen.

I myself have learned a lot in this post about Air Evac, something I might not have considered (assumed it was covered) otherwise

Cheers!

:D:D Agree.

I hope the original poster and her parents have been able to leave Fort Lauderdale and are back home now. I'm sure they are very busy taking care of Mr Wilson. I also noticed on the family's website that no updates have been posted since 11/10.

Agreed. Also, having this coverage on your Medicare Advantage Plan is almost worthless if you have an emergency in a foreign country. You would have to make all the arrangements and pay upfront. I don't know about anyone else but I do not have an extra $100,000 lying around or available on my credit card. Also, what do you do if you do not speak the local language. I am a senior and most seniors I know would have no clue how to handle a medical emergency, let along make arrangements for medical evacuation. NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT GOOD TRAVEL INSURANCE! Like someone previously said, if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the trip. Only a fool would attempt to self insure medical evacuation!

Well, the coverage through a Medicare Advantage Plan is not completely worthless. Agreed, you would have to pay in advance and get reimbursed IF the provider in the foreign country will bill your provider in the US. As Kaiser's Member Services explained it to me the other day, some international providers will bill them, but most don't.

So, that's why (also in agreement with you) additional air evacuation / ambulance travel insurance is a good idea. I have AirMed, others like MedJet: it's a matter of preference.

What is really important to me, however, is that the Medicare Advantage Plan that we have DOES cover our medical expenses anywhere in the world, including ambulance/air evacutation. So, when I shop for travel insurance I am only looking for cancellation and interruption coverage, which is now covered by my credit cards. The coverage is the same as the standard travel insurance inclusions/exclusions, so nothing fancy.

I am an advocate of people making sure they know what their existing coverage includes, THEN go shopping for the extra. It's a common misconception that if you are over 65 you aren't covered oustide the US. Stand-alone Medicare doesn't, but many of the Senior Advantage and supplemental coverages do cover outside the US.

We don't have large amounts of cash laying around to pay for huge medical bills, but a high limit credit card is our "private insurance" for emergencies. My provider is on the hook for any medical expenses incurred outside the US, so they are motivated to get me back to one of their facilities. We live in an area where Kaiser also contracts out to the local hospitals, whereas up in the Bay Area (where Kaiser was pretty much "born" after WWII) they have their own hospitals.

OP has not posted on CC except once other than this board....

I also hope all is well and she will eventually return to let us know!

OP has 161 posts. Looking at their posts it appears that they only post when they are about to take a cruise or do a review. They have their business website listed in the post. I checked it and it still says that Nov 13 they will be closed because of a medical emergency. It has not been updated to either remove that info or update it. I hope all is well.

Edited by dickinson

Just checked Linda's work website and her Dad is back in Canada, so at least he improved enough to get home. The short update there didn't really say any more than that. At the end of her first post is a link to their business. There is a banner to click on for updates.

Judy

I sympathise very strongly with your parents, being seriously ill on the ship and in a hospital in a foreign port is a nightmare

I do hope your father has recovered.

If you can please relate your experience with any claim for trip interruption, medical costs on board , or hospital. and which company with whom your father was insured.

As related on this thread I am having terrible trouble with Berkely Care (purchased through Cunard Cruise line) They are treating me as though I am a criminal scam artist. If you wish to e mail me direct, my address is: rafex1 @ century link .net .

Best wishes

Lynn

Lynn,

The OP's father is from Canada; the insurance information may not be of much value to anyone who does not live in the same country, since the industry standards and practices are governed by laws that may be different in other jurisdictions.

Also, it is usually not advisable to post one's personal email address on a public forum.