Explore4 and price drops

DaveOKC

You made ASSUMPTIONS, based on my sarcastic, and well warranted remarks to a poster that feels HAL can do no wrong ...
You seem to be referring to me here. If so, then this is certainly not true as my past posts on this forum will show.

But - leaving aside whether the agent was rude to you on the phone, about which I couldn't possibly comment as I did not hear the conversation - HAL hasn't done anything wrong on this occasion.

All you got was sight of a price drop that's similar to the price drops that many other people here have had, with the same effect. You could have left it alone and ignored it. Everyone else seems to have been able to work out what's the best thing for them to do. You're the only person who's suggested that this means that Explore4 is "the biggest scam going", or to have cancelled their cruise entirely because they didn't get what they demanded of HAL.

Well you certainly feel ENTITLED to be rude, keep going.
Unless you think that everyone who disagrees with you is rude, you're confusing being blunt with being rude.

You still haven't said why you thought that HAL was ever obliged to make you a better offer than the Explore4 package that you'd already booked, even though that seems to be the assumption that underlies your unshakeable opinion on this.

All you got was sight of a price drop that's similar to the price drops that many other people here have had, with the same effect. You could have left it alone and ignored it. Everyone else seems to have been able to work out what's the best thing for them to do. You're the only person who's suggested that this means that Explore4 is "the biggest scam going", or to have cancelled their cruise entirely because they didn't get what they demanded of HAL.

Yes, I am the only person in the world that doesn't agree with the promotion, so glad you have that much insight into other's opinions.

I didn't cancel my cruise because I didn't get what I want, I cancelled my cruise because I didn't like how the situation was handled.. big difference..

And yes, you continue to be rude and condescending in each and every one of your posts.. keep going...:rolleyes:

being blunt with being rude

Last time I checked, telling someone they "throw their toys from the pram" IS RUDE.

Saying, "I am sorry, but I don't see it your way" is being blunt!

Either way, I am done trying to have any sort of intelligent conversation with you in this matter, I am not going to continually drag a thread out, just so you can get the last word in.

I've shared my experience and my opinions on this promotion, like it or not, however, I am done being your punching bag for the day.. have a good day:rolleyes:

[quote name='Spendogirl']I could care less about the Explore4, but if they are gonna price a cruise higher for a "free", yet "not free" perk, than give ME the choice on the price with or without it.

But don't tell me that the "free" Explore4 which clearly states in the contract I signed has a value of and I quote "$50 pp per day" and then tell me it has no value. Make up your mind, it has value, or it doesn't, and that IS MY POINT and only point:rolleyes:

And agree with me or not, it's the only way I'll ever see it!:cool:

Thank you CruizChick for having a voice of reason!:D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]I think you've made a good suggestion. The cruiseline could sell their berths the same way as the airlines. Different prices include different amenitites. Then the buyer just needs to make their own choice. And like airlines, if prices change, too bad. As they often sell out their lowest fares first.[/SIZE]

[quote name='ithaca gal']I didn't say it was all her fault. But her post did smack of a little petulance, you must agree. And, yes, a good customer service person would keep their cool even if they were frustrated but we have no way of knowing who said what on that call.

Sometimes (and I have no way of knowing if this is the case here) a customer service person SEEMS to be rude when they won't say what you WANT them to say.

I do not feel my post was out of line -- sorry that you thought so.[/QUOTE]

I do not agree. I've had more than my share of rude hal reps. I have also had some great ones. When I hear something like " the pricing is fair for everyone" that tells me the person is not the cream of the crop. Read cruise critic with any regularity and you will see that the pricing is far from fair for everyone. What I find equally amusing is that some of these posts on here are not nice and then the poster pats themself on the back for being so nice. Really? All you have to do is disagree and you'll be buried.

[QUOTE]I think you've made a good suggestion. The cruiseline could sell their berths the same way as the airlines. Different prices include different amenitites.[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea which makes total sense. :D

[QUOTE]I do not agree. I've had more than my share of rude hal reps. I have also had some great ones. When I hear something like " the pricing is fair for everyone" that tells me the person is not the cream of the crop. Read cruise critic with any regularity and you will see that the pricing is far from fair for everyone. What I find equally amusing is that some of these posts on here are not nice and then the poster pats themself on the back for being so nice. Really? All you have to do is disagree and you'll be buried.[/QUOTE]

Very well said! Thank you!:)

Getting back on topic:

After listening to a number of posters, I conclude that Explore4 comes at a cost of higher prices. For some sailings (those that are not selling well) the price drops can equal or even exceed the "value" (relative term to each person) of the Explore4 package, while on other sailings (those further out I suspect) the price drops are less.

Further, it also depends on which (if any) other promotions you received in addition to the Explore4 - I got a $200 OBC for Cruise Week for example. And which other promotions you get now with the lower price (like Sun Drenched promo).

So, you need to watch the fares and decide which approach works best for you.

DaveOKC

[quote name='Spendogirl']I was told the E4 was a "free" ammenity.. if that's the case, why didn't Hal give me the standard price reduction before final payment???? Why was I told "you have to chose".. sounds like double talk to me... "it's free", but it really isn't.. sounds more like a scam then, doesn't it.

When you can answer that without your obvious sarcasm, and have it actually make sense, I may actually take your response to my post with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, you have your opinion and I have mine...

You can conjure up any justification on Hal's part all you want, I won't agree, I won't see your point and I don't agree with what they did.. enuf said:rolleyes:[/quote]

In your last post you said you didn't say Globaliser's answer didn't make sense -- but you DID. "When you can answer that without your obvious sarcasm, AND HAVE IT ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE ......"

I'm out of this now, too ------- won't be coming back to check your next denial, so post away!

[quote name='Spendogirl']The Explore4 is the biggest scam going.. I am beyond frustrated how this whole pricing scheme works out.

We booked the Eurodam February 1, 2015, 14n cruise with the Explore 4 and Pinnical Dinner. For the 14 nights it works out to an ammenity of $730 pp, for a total of $1460.

When the cruise fare went down $300 pp after the Explore 4 ended, and final payment wasn't due yet, I called my TA for the price reduction.

The only way for us to receive the fare reduction, was to give up Explore 4, which would have been fine if I had received the difference of $860 in obc. As lets face it, why should Hal be able to keep the difference of $430 pp in ammenities for a $300 reduction, when I was given a $730 perk for booking.

Anyway, I was told tough sh**, by Hal, either keep the Explore 4 at original booking price or lose it and pay $300 less.

Either way I see it, I was offered $1460 in ammenities to book the cruise and was expected to give it all up for a total $600 reduction.

Hal said they "understand" why I was frustrated, however chose to lose us as cruisers over $860. And the possible $125,000 we plan to spend on cruising in the next 25 years at an average of $5000 per year.

We never asked for the reduction and also keep the Explore 4, we asked for the fare reduction and the difference of the perk in OBC or any other way to make up the difference for what was originally given to us to book the cruise in the first place.

So anyone who got to enjoy both the reduction, and keep the Explore 4, good for you, it sucks to be us!

[COLOR="Red"][B]Unfortunately we have a $705 credit sitting with HAL that has to be used up, so I'll wait for rock bottom prices, sleep in steerage, but at least they won't get to steal that from me too.[/B][/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]

Why do you have a $705 credit with HAL? Is it from a complaint or issue on another cruise?

Also you mentioned a signed contract. What contract did you sign, and was it with your agent?

We also cruise with Celebrity and they have the same policy in place as HAL. If there is a price change or new promotion before final payment you have the option to take it but must give up the rate and amenities you are currently booked at. But, it is your choice.

We sure wouldn't cancel a cruise over $300.00, or a perceived $300.00 issue.

There is currently a $200pp price drop on our Maasdam Canada & New England cruise for September 2015.

We have Explore 4 and are in a Neptune suite. The Explore package for us includes $300 OBC, a Pinnacle Grill dinner, a Canaletto dinner & the beverage package. So, for us, the price drop isn't enough for us to switch. I figure it still needs to drop a couple hundred more to be worth it for us to rebook.

(It's also interesting that we initially booked this sailing before Explore 4. Then we rebooked to add Explore 4, and a price drop where we saved $200pp. So, we were already ahead.)

[QUOTE]We sure wouldn't cancel a cruise over $300.00, or a perceived $300.00 issue.
[/QUOTE]

It wasn't over $300, it was over $860, and the way the situation was handled by HAL. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Why do you have a $705 credit with HAL? Is it from a complaint or issue on another cruise?[/QUOTE]

In January the Veendam turned around and headed back to San Diego to meet a helicopter to medi-vac a passenger who was injured when they fell down the stairs. This caused the ship to miss the overnight in Honolulu and we couldn't tender into Maui. We didn't ask or expect any compensation for this, as that is part of cruising, and our main concern was the passenger was ok, which we later found out she was. HAL gave this credit to ALL passengers aboard this Veendam sailing.

[QUOTE]If there is a price change or new promotion before final payment you have the option to take it but must give up the rate and amenities you are currently booked at. But, it is your choice.[/QUOTE]

I have no argument with this point at all.. my only dispute was the "amount/value" difference between the two as it related to this particular promotion only.

[quote name='DSLibrarian']There is currently a $200pp price drop on our Maasdam Canada & New England cruise for September 2015.

QUOTE]

Our 7 night Canada New England cruise has also dropped $200.00pp but without Explore4. So far we haven't done anything. My DH only drinks diet cola so clearly would not use $200.00 worth of drinks, but we like these packages for their convenience. Ours also only has the Pinnacle Grille dinner so I guess based on stateroom. However, the Caneletto dinner has no value for us as he won't eat there and as an Italian Chef would never pay for it either. Edited by Jade13

Posted by Jade13

Our 7 night Canada New England cruise has also dropped $200.00pp but without Explore4. So far we haven't done anything. My DH only drinks diet cola so clearly would not use $200.00 worth of drinks, but we like these packages for their convenience. Ours also only has the Pinnacle Grille dinner so I guess based on stateroom. However, the Caneletto dinner has no value for us as he won't eat there and as an Italian Chef would never pay for it either.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much any person with taste buds doesn't want to eat there. You don't need to be a chef to figure that out. Edited by cruz chic

Went to see our TA today to make our final payment on Eurodam on February 15, 2015. We decided to give up the "free" explore 4 and the "free" pinnacle dinner and we saved $1,000!! I am pretty sure we made the right choice! At least our liver will thank us! LOL :p

[quote name='Tbog12']Went to see our TA today to make our final payment on Eurodam on February 15, 2015. We decided to give up the "free" explore 4 and the "free" pinnacle dinner and we saved $1,000!! I am pretty sure we made the right choice! At least our liver will thank us! LOL :p[/QUOTE]

Your cruise qualifies for the Thanksgiving Sale - which is basically the drink package only. However, you get the lower price. You should check this out immediately - you should still be before final payment and perhaps can take advantage of the lower price and get the drink package.

[quote name='DaveOKC']Your cruise qualifies for the Thanksgiving Sale - which is basically the drink package only. However, you get the lower price. You should check this out immediately - you should still be before final payment and perhaps can take advantage of the lower price and get the drink package.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will check this out!

[QUOTE]Went to see our TA today to make our final payment on Eurodam on February 15, 2015. We decided to give up the "[COLOR="Red"]free[/COLOR]" explore 4 and the "[COLOR="red"]free[/COLOR]" pinnacle dinner and we saved $1,000!! I am pretty sure we made the right choice! At least our liver will thank us! LOL [/QUOTE]

:D:D:D:D:D, sorry couldn't resist....

Definately do what Dave suggests!!:cool:

My situation is a little different but still frustrating.....we received the gift of a cruise from our children, a Neptune suite to the Panama Canal....we had no idea when the final payment was due, but today I called about a price decrease I noticed, to see if we could get it and were told NO, because the final payment was made yesterday....we were one day late in requesting the price adjustment with which we would have saved over $2,ooo if I had seen this yesterday.....we are nearly 4 star Mariners and have always booked suites so have spent lots of money with HAL...but they refused to do anything except a future cruise credit of a few hundred....I told them that we would probably be looking at other Cruise Lines from now on and wouldnt be needing the FCC since our past loyalty didn't seem to have an influence on how we are treated by them.. There was no genuine apology or anything that seemed they were concerned, ....I know they have to have a cut off date, but we weren't aware of when the final payment was even due, since our kids paid it all, but ONE day ?

About 6 months ago, DH and I booked a cruise to Bermuda for May 2015 before the Explore4 package was offered. DH happened to look at the fares a couple months ago, after the Explore4 promo started. I called and re-booked - same cabin, same price, and the Explore4 package was added - for FREE. So, yes, I do view it as a free perk - to us. And I do see how HAL can "say" it is free - at least for us. Shortly after the promo ended, I checked our fares and they hadn't changed. I haven't checked in a while, so they may have been lowered since then, but the fares would likely need to go down to below what we initially booked for it to be worth to US. We'll keep checking. As they always say: YMMV.

[quote name='jankn']My situation is a little different but still frustrating.....we received the gift of a cruise from our children, a Neptune suite to the Panama Canal....we had no idea when the final payment was due, but today I called about a price decrease I noticed, to see if we could get it and were told NO, because the final payment was made yesterday....we were one day late in requesting the price adjustment with which we would have saved over $2,ooo if I had seen this yesterday.....we are nearly 4 star Mariners and have always booked suites so have spent lots of money with HAL...but they refused to do anything except a future cruise credit of a few hundred....I told them that we would probably be looking at other Cruise Lines from now on and wouldnt be needing the FCC since our past loyalty didn't seem to have an influence on how we are treated by them.. There was no genuine apology or anything that seemed they were concerned, ....I know they have to have a cut off date, but we weren't aware of when the final payment was even due, since our kids paid it all, but ONE day ?[/QUOTE]

But, didn't the price go down after the final payment date? That is typical of all cruise lines who have unsold cabins. Celebrity won't give an future cruise credit when that happens. But I do understand the frustration. Edited by Jade13

[quote name='cruz chic']Posted by Jade13

Our 7 night Canada New England cruise has also dropped $200.00pp but without Explore4. So far we haven't done anything. My DH only drinks diet cola so clearly would not use $200.00 worth of drinks, but we like these packages for their convenience. Ours also only has the Pinnacle Grille dinner so I guess based on stateroom. However, the Caneletto dinner has no value for us as he won't eat there and as an Italian Chef would never pay for it either.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much any person with taste buds doesn't want to eat there. You don't need to be a chef to figure that out.[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha. You are right. I can not understand that they are now charging for this. I understand the Crowd Control, but even Celebrity has that figured out by charging $5.00pp for their Bistro on Five, and I think the same for The Porch on some ships.

[quote name='jankn']My situation is a little different but still frustrating.....we received the gift of a cruise from our children, a Neptune suite to the Panama Canal....we had no idea when the final payment was due, but today I called about a price decrease I noticed, to see if we could get it and were told NO, because the final payment was made yesterday....we were one day late in requesting the price adjustment with which we would have saved over $2,ooo if I had seen this yesterday.....we are nearly 4 star Mariners and have always booked suites so have spent lots of money with HAL...but they refused to do anything except a future cruise credit of a few hundred....I told them that we would probably be looking at other Cruise Lines from now on and wouldnt be needing the FCC since our past loyalty didn't seem to have an influence on how we are treated by them.. There was no genuine apology or anything that seemed they were concerned, ....I know they have to have a cut off date, but we weren't aware of when the final payment was even due, since our kids paid it all, but ONE day ?[/QUOTE]

Were you using a TA or HAL directly? I have found HAL to be very accommodating in similar situations (I just got help yesterday for example. I book with a HAL PCC.

Also, were they offering a FUTURE cruise credit or Onboard Credits? If the ladder, take it!

DaveOKC