Explore4 and price drops

DaveOKC

Our VC cabin for a 7 day West Caribbean cruise in February dropped $762. We rebooked, upgrading to a VB cabin facing the stern that wasn't available at the time of our initial booking. While we lost the Explore4 perks, the $99.35 saved per day after the upgrade will more than cover our moderate bar bill.

Since we booked a Neptune Suite for Alaska next year, our Explore4 comes with $300 OBC, two free Pinnacle Grill dinners, and the beverage package.

For us to abandon our Exolore4, our price drop would have to be more than $250 p/p to be worth accepting.

I guess we hit it lucky--our 26 day TA crossing next October from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale dropped over $1600 Can. a few days after the Explore4 program ended-same cruise-same ship-same cabin. A quick phone call to our travel agent and she got the new price for us! Now we're really happy campers-- the price drop will more than cover the one-way fare to get to Athens.

I guess we hit it lucky--our 26 day TA crossing next October from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale dropped over $1600 Can. a few days after the Explore4 program ended-same cruise-same ship-same cabin. A quick phone call to our travel agent and she got the new price for us! Now we're really happy campers-- the price drop will more than cover the one-way fare to get to Athens.

Were you able to still get the Explore4 with the new price?

We took advantage of the lower price and lost Explore 4. We would never drink that much anyway. When we did, we picked up the OBC from AMEX, which was not combinable with Explore 4. So the only thing we lost were the Pinnacle Grill Dinners, which the lower price will more than make up for. We can buy a lot of drinks with the money we saved.

I think it was a win-win situation for us. The lower price was substantial enough to make it worthwhile.

Terri

The New pricing is about $500 per person less for 7 day Eastern Caribbian on Eurodam..... Called our PCC. First offer was upsell to sy for $299 pp. It was a reasonable offer - but $600 we could use elsewhere... So we declined. They called back and offered $175 pp discount off a future cruise. $350 total towards a next cruise is great except we don't know when we will be able to afford to cruise again AND we would lose current $100 SBC for THIS cruise.

I don't really expect a dollar for dollar re-compensation but what would be nice, is if they offered something that wouldn't really cost them that much.... but would make us feel like we got something special for our cruise.

It's just business, I understand that, and we are going to have a GREAT cruise!!

That said, I don't think I will book early again...

We booked a 10-day Noordam cruise in March (booked in October with Explore 4 included) through our regular travel agent. Yes, the price has gone down but the price we paid is still $300 less than what HAL is charging today for the same Verandah cabin without Explore 4 AND we still have Explore 4 and a small OBC from our agent.

To Dave OKC: we lost the Explore4 package and the Pinnacle Grill dinner ( no big deal for us as we weren't planning on going to the PG anyway, unless it was a "freebee" ). We still retained the OBC from our travel agent We agree with Cruizen Terri as we would never use the total amount of the Explore4 package. As 4 star Mariners, we'll take advantage of the wine packages that are offered through HAL at a 50% discount and still save a lot of money.

nothing will convince people that explore 4 does not greatly effect pricing because they don't want to believe it. Our Feb cruise has not dropped in price and will not offer explore 4 any more. We got a deal - probably paid a little more for it but not 500 each. seems like a waste of time to keep debating this.

We just cruised 21 days with SBP - we really appreciated having it. We used it for coffees, waters, sodas, and cocktails. We tried the wine that was included and being the wine snobs that we are, we chose to pay corkage fees. At the end we decided that -

We could never drink 15 drinks per day (maybe in our early years!)

We drank more cocktails than we are accustomed to doing! Like a port after dinner and lemon drop before!

We totally enjoyed the convenience - and probably came out a bit ahead ( although we would not have had as many cocktails without it)

And last - we are in detox/abstinence since arriving home!:)

It was a fun perk to enjoy - if we hadn't had it, we would have stayed with good wine and cocktails every now and then.

nothing will convince people that explore 4 does not greatly effect pricing because they don't want to believe it. Our Feb cruise has not dropped in price and will not offer explore 4 any more. We got a deal - probably paid a little more for it but not 500 each. seems like a waste of time to keep debating this.
If you didn't see a price drop, then it may not matter to you. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't legitimately matter to others.

The fact is that many (but not all) people have seen significant price drops when the Explore4 promotion ended. That's not easily explained as a coincidence.

But even if it is, it's still worth people looking to see whether they would be better off keeping their Explore4 package, or rebooking at the new lower rate because that would be a better deal overall - which seems to be much of the point of this thread.

If you didn't see a price drop, then it may not matter to you. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't legitimately matter to others.

The fact is that many (but not all) people have seen significant price drops when the Explore4 promotion ended. That's not easily explained as a coincidence.

But even if it is, it's still worth people looking to see whether they would be better off keeping their Explore4 package, or rebooking at the new lower rate because that would be a better deal overall - which seems to be much of the point of this thread.

Totally agree with you. I don't understand the idea that if it isn't important to them it's not worth discussing. There is a very simple cure, skip the thread. Easy peasy.

:) We also saw a significant price drop for our SS catagory for the Jan. 24th and Jan. 31st on the Westerdam. We did get the Explore 4 pkg for Both sailings as well the extra dinners booing a suite. Then several weeks later I saw the other promotion offering more in OBC's (don't remember the name) so did a dummy booking for the same dates but the Explore 4 was gone. Called my TA and she inquired with HAL -- we received additional OBCs' to the tune of $ 1100 for both cruises and still retained the original cabin and all the Explore 4 perks. Did the math and decided to stay where we are. Doubt we will drink 15 beverages a day but what the heck !! We would have lost the OBC's and would have only saved about $ 100 --- sometimes you only live once !! :)

Our cruise price dropped SIGNIFICANTLY.....and we had to 'do battle' with HAL. Had the cruise itself not been so enjoyable, and the crew so amazing, we would never consider sailing with HAL again. It is not a gift, as you have pointed out. And the price game is frustrating.....

:) We also saw a significant price drop for our SS catagory for the Jan. 24th and Jan. 31st on the Westerdam. We did get the Explore 4 pkg for Both sailings as well the extra dinners booing a suite. Then several weeks later I saw the other promotion offering more in OBC's (don't remember the name) so did a dummy booking for the same dates but the Explore 4 was gone. Called my TA and she inquired with HAL -- we received additional OBCs' to the tune of $ 1100 for both cruises and still retained the original cabin and all the Explore 4 perks. Did the math and decided to stay where we are. Doubt we will drink 15 beverages a day but what the heck !! We would have lost the OBC's and would have only saved about $ 100 --- sometimes you only live once !! :)

I have to agree that you got a very sweet deal for your Westerdam cruise. Enjoy!

I had already upgraded once to a higher ocean view cabin, which added the Explore4, for about the same as the list price of the previous cabin. When I learned of the price drops I spent a fair amount of time yesterday with Matthew at the HAL office (we don't have a TA we particularly like, and HAL itself has been great for us), and ended up with a significant upgrade to a verandah suite (Rhyndam) for only $200 pp more. I'm a happy customer.

I was surprised this summer at how many people truly believed that the Explore4 was just a very generous gift from their travel agent and no one could convince them that this wasn't true.

4* HAL.....Elite Princess

Well I am convinced that the Explore4 is a gift from the high and mighty Greek God Dionysus. I love my namesake. :D

Just talked to my PCC from HAL. I can get the $500 pp lower fare OR keep the Explore4 package and still keep my original cabin.

My thinking now is to go for the fare reduction of $1000 per cabin. I lose $300 in OBC, 7 days of the drink package (value around $700) plus Pinnacle and Caneleto dinners.

Since I will still have $500 in other OBC, plus 50% discounts on the P & C dinners, plus 50% off on wine packages for dinner, I will be better off totally (I doubt we will ever drink 17 beverages per day).

I can get the $500 pp lower fare OR keep the Explore4 package and still keep my original cabin.

My thinking now is to go for the fare reduction of $1000 per cabin. I lose $300 in OBC, 7 days of the drink package (value around $700) plus Pinnacle and Caneleto dinners.

Doesn't the calculation work something like this? If you refare, you will lose (per person) $150 OBC, plus $15 Pinnacle Grill dinner ($30 x 50%), plus $5 Canaletto dinner ($10 x 50%) = total $170.

But you also lose $500 off the fare.

So you would each have to drink more than $330 worth of qualifying drinks in 7 days to be better off keeping the Explore4. That's $47 per day or at least 7 qualifying drinks a day per person (if they were all the $6.95 type).

It would be a tall order for me!

Doesn't the calculation work something like this? If you refare, you will lose (per person) $150 OBC, plus $15 Pinnacle Grill dinner ($30 x 50%), plus $5 Canaletto dinner ($10 x 50%) = total $170.

But you also lose $500 off the fare.

So you would each have to drink more than $330 worth of qualifying drinks in 7 days to be better off keeping the Explore4. That's $47 per day or at least 7 qualifying drinks a day per person (if they were all the $6.95 type).

It would be a tall order for me!

Thats how I figure it as well. Plus, by purchasing a 3 bottle wine package my cost per bottle is about $20 or about $4 per glass - for better quality wine than the house variety I would get with the Explore4 package.

Further, I had $800 in OBC for a 7 day cruise, of which the drinks were all covered. Thats alot to spend per day on a cruise that is heavy on beach days.

Anyway, the deal is done now, so no going back!

DaveOKC

The Explore4 is the biggest scam going.. I am beyond frustrated how this whole pricing scheme works out.

We booked the Eurodam February 1, 2015, 14n cruise with the Explore 4 and Pinnical Dinner. For the 14 nights it works out to an ammenity of $730 pp, for a total of $1460.

When the cruise fare went down $300 pp after the Explore 4 ended, and final payment wasn't due yet, I called my TA for the price reduction.

The only way for us to receive the fare reduction, was to give up Explore 4, which would have been fine if I had received the difference of $860 in obc. As lets face it, why should Hal be able to keep the difference of $430 pp in ammenities for a $300 reduction, when I was given a $730 perk for booking.

Anyway, I was told tough sh**, by Hal, either keep the Explore 4 at original booking price or lose it and pay $300 less.

Either way I see it, I was offered $1460 in ammenities to book the cruise and was expected to give it all up for a total $600 reduction.

Hal said they "understand" why I was frustrated, however chose to lose us as cruisers over $860. And the possible $125,000 we plan to spend on cruising in the next 25 years at an average of $5000 per year.

We never asked for the reduction and also keep the Explore 4, we asked for the fare reduction and the difference of the perk in OBC or any other way to make up the difference for what was originally given to us to book the cruise in the first place.

So anyone who got to enjoy both the reduction, and keep the Explore 4, good for you, but to those of us who had to wrongfully choose either one or the other when the values are like night and day, it sucks to be us!

Unfortunately we have a $705 credit sitting with HAL that has to be used up, so I'll wait for rock bottom prices, sleep in steerage, but at least they won't get to steal that from me too.

I don't post this to offend, but it's just my personal opinion that it is completely wrong of them to not honour the full value of an ammenity they entice you with to book the cruise in the first place.. just saying...:cool:

At the end of the day, we cancelled the cruise.. I felt scammed and cheated, and what's the point of being pi**'ed off even before you get on the cruise. :mad:

Either way I see it, I was offered $1460 in ammenities to book the cruise and was expected to give it all up for a total $600 reduction.
You weren't expected to do any such thing.

You had a choice between a cruise at one price, which came with something thrown in at no extra cost that - if you had bought it separately (which you did not) - would have cost you $730 per person.

You then had a choice between keeping that package; or moving to a different package which would have cost you $300 per person less, but losing the perk that had been thrown in for no extra cost. You had to work out which was more valuable to you.

If you chose to believe that you originally booked your cruise at a fare that was $730 less than you paid because that $730 was buying your beverage package, and that you are therefore entitled to have that $730 benefit come what may, then you have only yourself to blame for talking yourself into that way of looking at it. That was not how your original price was calculated, and you seem to have thrown your toys out of the pram on the basis of a self-induced misconception.