Jump to content

Nordic Prince


Recommended Posts

This ship was a classy ship with Royal Carribean Lines. I work as a deck hand on her in 1981. At that time she was doing two week cruise out of miami and we would go down to south america. Anybody have any info on her, I guess she might be some gambling boat tied up someplace. Any info appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I'm not the all-knowing Host Doug, but per the fine folks at

Maritime Matters

....And SEAWING Makes Four

December 24: The 1971-built SEAWING (ex SOUTHWARD), has been acquired by Cyprus-based Louis Cruise Lines for $9.045m from the UK-based MyTravel group. Louis now owns all four of the fleet of Sun Cruises, a subsidiary of MyTravel. MyTravel previously sold the 1982-built SUNBIRD (ex SONG OF AMERICA), the 1971-built CAROUSEL (ex NORDIC PRINCE), and the 1970-built SUNDREAM (ex SONG OF NORWAY) to Louis in April.

 

So it seems that she's now going by Carousel, sailing for Louis Cruis Lines, possibly chartered back to Sun.

 

A couple of more general history-of-the-ship sites you might find interesting:

Nordic Prince Postcards

A tour of the Nordic Prince

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 years later...

I sailed on the Nordic Princess in 12/88. Does anyone still sail on these ships that are over 40 years old? I'm so used to going on the newer ships and much larger of course but do have very fond memories of all the past cruises I've been on. My first cruise was in 6/72 on the Song of Norway! It was about 18,000 tons back then!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
I sailed on the Nordic Princess in 12/88. Does anyone still sail on these ships that are over 40 years old? I'm so used to going on the newer ships and much larger of course but do have very fond memories of all the past cruises I've been on. My first cruise was in 6/72 on the Song of Norway! It was about 18,000 tons back then!

 

I cruised the Aquamarine (Nordic Prince) in Greece in 2008, it still had the same artwork on the walls, and the cabins needed a refurbishment making it feel like stepping back in time. We had a great time though, the ports were fantastic and the price was right. We have been on new and old and gigantic and small and loved them all!

 

Nancy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Sailed on the Nordic Prince back in 1981, 14 day Caribbean cruise out of Miami. Travelled with my mom and sister. The upgrade fairy appeared at check in. Asked if we would mind switching to 2 connecting cabins(same deck as the one we had booked), didn't take a split second to say yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Ocean-Star-Pacific.jpg

 

The Nordic Prince in her current livery as the Ocean Star Pacific, but she is believed to be laid-up due to an engine room fire, on her second cruise as the Ocean Star Pacific.

 

The remaining crew members have been stranded in Mexico and are in dire straights, they have no way to get home, living on the derelict ship... this is a very tragic situation. There was an article in Maritime News this week for anyone interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

My wife and I sailed on the Nordic Prince in June of 1978 for our honeymoon. It was a 14 day Caribbean cruise out of Miami and went as far south as Caracas, Venzuela. Ports of call were: Miami; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, US V.I.; Martinque; Curacao; Aruba; Caracus; Haiti; Jamaica; and Miami.

 

Our fondest memories are going to the Viking Crown Lounge when we sailed out of port and having drinks and consuming quarts of the delicious crock cheddar cheese.:)

 

We met a couple that became one of our best friends for several years who lived relatively close in Anaheim, CA.

 

I was a cruise "virgin" but my wife had cruised several times before and she taught me everything she knew! We are avid Princess cruisers now since we live in the LA area and it is so easy to get to the port of LA at San Pedro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
My wife and I sailed on the Nordic Prince in June of 1978 for our honeymoon. It was a 14 day Caribbean cruise out of Miami and went as far south as Caracas, Venzuela. Ports of call were: Miami; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, US V.I.; Martinque; Curacao; Aruba; Caracus; Haiti; Jamaica; and Miami.

 

Our fondest memories are going to the Viking Crown Lounge when we sailed out of port and having drinks and consuming quarts of the delicious crock cheddar cheese.:)

 

We met a couple that became one of our best friends for several years who lived relatively close in Anaheim, CA.

 

I was a cruise "virgin" but my wife had cruised several times before and she taught me everything she knew! We are avid Princess cruisers now since we live in the LA area and it is so easy to get to the port of LA at San Pedro.

 

What a great cruise for a honeymoon. I was working on the ship at that time, I think the ship did those ports but don't believe she went to Aruba but went to Santo Domingo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our cruise did go to Aruba, we have the pictures and remember clearly swimming on the beautiful beaches with water that was a warm as bath water.:)

 

Went back to Aruba 2 years ago spring as our last port on a Panama Canal cruise from LA to Ft. Lauderdale and was very disappointed as we took an excursion to a "resort island" that turned out to be a small sandbar offshore of a beer brewery. It was a local holiday and the place was too crowded with no place to sit on the limited beaches and the beaches were covered by rocks underwater making it very difficult to wade without turning an ankle or falling down.:mad:

 

Do you recall the name of the Cruise Director on the Nordic Prince at that time? He was very good and set the bar high for later Cruise Directors for us on other cruises.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 years later...
On 5/18/2015 at 11:16 AM, macnicol said:

Our cruise did go to Aruba, we have the pictures and remember clearly swimming on the beautiful beaches with water that was a warm as bath water.:)

 

Went back to Aruba 2 years ago spring as our last port on a Panama Canal cruise from LA to Ft. Lauderdale and was very disappointed as we took an excursion to a "resort island" that turned out to be a small sandbar offshore of a beer brewery. It was a local holiday and the place was too crowded with no place to sit on the limited beaches and the beaches were covered by rocks underwater making it very difficult to wade without turning an ankle or falling down.:mad:

 

Do you recall the name of the Cruise Director on the Nordic Prince at that time? He was very good and set the bar high for later Cruise Directors for us on other cruises.:D

I sailed on the Nordic Prince maiden voyage in late July 1971 - it was my fav ship for many years. It was a two week itinerary. Was Tony the CD and his wife the hostess (Shari?). Went again in July 1973. Also in 1985 on one of two honeymoon cruises. The suites in those days had numbers (deck 😎 and also prints of old ships in the suite itself  and we found the print of the ship Lightning that hung in our suite in a store in Alexandria, VA and it still hangs in our home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I see the Nordic Price was scrapped in Alang India 2015, and she went under a few names:

Nordic Prince, Carousel, Aquamarine, Arielle, Ocean Star pacific, Pacific. She sailed from 1971 - 2015.

I only have a couple of items from the Nordic Prince. 

 

de3xdry-c7d552c8-4fa6-40ee-b891-c4cf0a055c1a.jpg

de3xgvm-a0869b83-ddbe-46e0-97c7-ef5953be270d.jpg

nordic_prince_coasters_with_holder_by_wildelf34_d94gupc-fullview.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/10/2021 at 11:54 AM, norboy76 said:

I see the Nordic Price was scrapped in Alang India 2015, and she went under a few names:

Nordic Prince, Carousel, Aquamarine, Arielle, Ocean Star pacific, Pacific. She sailed from 1971 - 2015.

I only have a couple of items from the Nordic Prince. 

 

de3xdry-c7d552c8-4fa6-40ee-b891-c4cf0a055c1a.jpg

de3xgvm-a0869b83-ddbe-46e0-97c7-ef5953be270d.jpg

nordic_prince_coasters_with_holder_by_wildelf34_d94gupc-fullview.jpg

I have lots of the glassware as well as ashtrays, plates, etc. Great memories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Catnip said:

I was on Nordic Prince to Bermuda for 4th of July '85.    Loved that ship.

 

I sailed on Nordic Prince during a July 4th Caribbean cruise.  I remember the Captain reminding the guests during his welcome aboard message over the PA that shooting off fireworks was a major "no-no" and not to do so.  Do you recall hearing any such warning?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I sailed on Nordic Prince during a July 4th Caribbean cruise.  I remember the Captain reminding the guests during his welcome aboard message over the PA that shooting off fireworks was a major "no-no" and not to do so.  Do you recall hearing any such warning?  

I don't remember that specifically.   But I do still have the 4th of July menu somewhere in a box. 😂
And one of the entertainers that week was a ventriloquest named Mark Merchant.  I still have a pic of us somewhere too......he and I went out after his show a couple of the nights we were docked in downtown Hamilton.   Do you remember him?  Young guy with dark hair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Catnip said:

I don't remember that specifically.   But I do still have the 4th of July menu somewhere in a box. 😂
And one of the entertainers that week was a ventriloquest named Mark Merchant.  I still have a pic of us somewhere too......he and I went out after his show a couple of the nights we were docked in downtown Hamilton.   Do you remember him?  Young guy with dark hair.

 

We were on different July 4th cruises.  Mine was to the Caribbean out of Miami.  Yours to Bermuda.  Did it also sail from Miami?  Or, was it New York?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

We were on different July 4th cruises.  Mine was to the Caribbean out of Miami.  Yours to Bermuda.  Did it also sail from Miami?  Or, was it New York?  

This was NYC-Hamilton.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Catnip said:

This was NYC-Hamilton.

 

Do you remember using the Crown Lounge on Nordic Prince?  If so, what memory do you have of your experiences in the Lounge?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yes!   I remember the Viking Crown on all the RCCL ships I've sailed on.  I do admit I like the ones on the older ships better.    1st ship I sailed on was SoN, then SoA and NP.   I was never on the ones that had the outside staircase to the VCL.
I do remember my first cruise on Majesty of the Seas and the glass elevators in the lobby!   I was dumbstruck and thought I had died and gone to heaven!  😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What year did you start cruising?  My first cruise was in 11/81 on one of the old Princess ships, maybe the Sky Princess?  Can't really remember.   But my 1st RCCL cruise was in either '82-83 on SoN.  I was hooked after that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...