Packing issues

islandwoman

I guess I am the outlier in this discussion. We take long cruises, usually 30 to 50 days. We take the suitcases we need to fit everything we need/want for the trip. If we have to pay for an extra bag, we pay.

My husband and I are the same. Especially when we are doing long cruises and various weather conditions. We like to have choice. :)

Keep in mind that at some point that might not work, as some airlines have strictly enforced limits particularly during certain times of the year, and cash won't change the rules.

This is interesting and I am curious, why for checked bags but not large carry ons? We did our first trip to the States last year and we were amazed at what was classified as carry on luggage. Quite a few we saw wouldn't pass the grade on domestic flights here in Australia unless people got special permission and paid extra. In most cases they would be made to check it in.

My husband and I are the same. Especially when we are doing long cruises and various weather conditions. We like to have choice. :)

This is interesting and I am curious, why for checked bags but not large carry ons? We did our first trip to the States last year and we were amazed at what was classified as carry on luggage. Quite a few we saw wouldn't pass the grade on domestic flights here in Australia unless people got special permission and paid extra. In most cases they would be made to check it in.

I know that some flights US-Latin America have the severe luggage restrictions at times. I believe it's due to workers heading home for a vacation and taking large amounts of products back home to their families. I've been at the airport when it looks like everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink is being boxed up, taped up and taken home.

At one hotel where I used to work, we would get a huge amount of boxes from Amazon.com, Zappos, etc., that were meant for families coming up from Panama for winter vacations. It was cheaper for them to have it sent to the hotel and then taken home in luggage than to send it straight home…They'd go to the outlet mall nearby and buy cheap luggage to take the stuff home.

I know that some flights US-Latin America have the severe luggage restrictions at times. I believe it's due to workers heading home for a vacation and taking large amounts of products back home to their families. I've been at the airport when it looks like everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink is being boxed up, taped up and taken home.

At one hotel where I used to work, we would get a huge amount of boxes from Amazon.com, Zappos, etc., that were meant for families coming up from Panama for winter vacations. It was cheaper for them to have it sent to the hotel and then taken home in luggage than to send it straight home…They'd go to the outlet mall nearby and buy cheap luggage to take the stuff home.

Many airlines will also no longer accept boxes to Latin America.

The planes to begin Antarctica cruises are super fussy about both checked and carry on bags and weigh everything. It's not a matter of overweight and pay a fee, they just won't accept overweight bags.

I guess I am the outlier in this discussion. We take long cruises, usually 30 to 50 days. We take the suitcases we need to fit everything we need/want for the trip. If we have to pay for an extra bag, we pay.

That describes us as well. We take the clothing that we need ... we've learned not to take "just in case" items, though ... we always arrive in the embarkation port at least one day early and buy most of our toiletries there. We do plan for having laundry done on the ship.

We usually have 3 checked bags between the two of us, and we each have 2 carryons (not rollers, and reasonably sized, not the kind anyone would look at and think "that is too big and should have been refused")

Of course if the airlines do change policies and not allow more than one checked bag per person, we would have to re-think our packing strategies.

Of course if the airlines do change policies and not allow more than one checked bag per person, we would have to re-think our packing strategies.

Never happen, as long as the plane has room. They're making too much money on checked baggage fees.

We usually have one checked suitcase, one carry-on each, sometimes one checked suitcase for both of us. Just enough so our two hands can handle everything.

The land portions of our trips are often on our own and require some muscle power in train stations. If necessary, we take a small backpack. It has been very convenient on bus and train rides.

I totally agree with Iancal.

I pack light by choice. I also frequently have multiple stops and moving luggage on public transportation is not worth the hassle of having 3 complete outfits each day. I also have had luggage show up late or not at all so checking a bag is not something I would do. There are a lot of good suggestions here.

I would suggest if DH wants to wear his suit, you pack it without worrying about wrinkles - send it to be pressed or dry cleaned when you board the ship. It's trying to make everything pristine and immediately wearable that makes packing a suit such a bother.

I have found that packing for 3 days requires the same space as 3 weeks - what differs is how often you launder. If using the ship's laundry services be sure what you pack is durable. All your laundry goes in one big hot load. Clothing if packed using packing folders or cubes, rolling, or layering techniques really doesn't take up much space, it's the other stuff that fills your bag. Don't bring full sized cosmetics, shampoos, etc. bring enough for the trip, or better yet, for one leg of the trip. Everywhere you are going has stores where you can replenish your supplies. Buy sample sizes or travel sizes.

Our South America cruise last January required 3 season clothing. And everyone who suggested layering had it right. It IS possible to do with one bag and a personal item, and wearing your bulkiest things during air travel. If your bulky stuff is inconvenient for moving through transit, pull out that duffle bag to carry it in transit, then put it on when you need to limit the number of bags and refold your duffle into your suitcase.

You have a fantastic trip planned. Only you can decide what is most worthwhile for you. Some need those large bags, where others prefer light travel and no hassle transporting. Whatever you decide, have a terrific time on this dream vacation!

Thank you Suite Traveler,

We cruise occasionally but usually don't fly anymore. We will be going to Maui next year and I am a terrible packer usually bringing 3 of everything just in case. We don't want to pay the baggage fees either because we're flying. You have really helped me thank you. I'm doing a test drive when we go to Vegas for a week.

You're welcome. Even with my trimmed down list, I often find I have at least one piece I never even wear on the entire trip. LOL!

I love Maui by the way. You should have an awesome time there!