Considering my first Royal Cruise...

mg33626

I have cruised about 10 times, and have yet to take a RCCL cruise mostly because it's been just my wife and I in our 40s. I have always thought of these ships more for families. I am looking at the Freedom Of the Seas, but also considering NCL Getaway. This trip my primary focus is my 11 yr old boy. I love the slides and rope courses on NCL, and want thoughts on amenities for an 11 yr old boy on The Ultra Voyager Class.

Overall impressions and costs for things like Flowrider, ice skating, rock climbing so I know what to expect would be great. It seems like he might be slightly beyond the Nickelodeon themed stuff, but he does enjoy those shows. Mostly, it's the active events and options I'm thinking about.

Thank you.

I have cruised about 10 times, and have yet to take a RCCL cruise mostly because it's been just my wife and I in our 40s. I have always thought of these ships more for families. I am looking at the Freedom Of the Seas, but also considering NCL Getaway. This trip my primary focus is my 11 yr old boy. I love the slides and rope courses on NCL, and want thoughts on amenities for an 11 yr old boy on The Ultra Voyager Class.

Overall impressions and costs for things like Flowrider, ice skating, rock climbing so I know what to expect would be great. It seems like he might be slightly beyond the Nickelodeon themed stuff, but he does enjoy those shows. Mostly, it's the active events and options I'm thinking about.

Thank you.

There are no extra charges for Flowrider, ice skating, and rock climbing.

You can pay extra for lessons on the Flowrider, but that is not required.

Thank you.

No charge for the rock climbing or flow rider unless you take private lessons. I'm not sure if there's a rental fee for skates. Someone else should know. Freedom is one of our favorites.

I have not been on Freedom yet, however I know that the Flowrider, ice skating, and rock climbing are all free. Also RCI does Dreamworks characters (Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon, Madagascar) not Nickelodeon.

From what I hear RCI also offers a really good youth program (Adventure Ocean). They have activities and educational type things with that. The program is also free. I know that most ships also have other sports related activities like basketball, mini golf, pool volleyball. I think that on the Freedom there is also a boxing ring in the gym.

I realize all cruises are different, but is it reasonable to expect long lines to use Flowrider and rock climbing?

The sea days can have long lines. One of the nice things about the Oasis class is two flowriders. The waiting in line even on the final sea days are bearable. Its nice to watch others while you waiting in line.

We took an 11-year old on the Freedom. Loved(!) the flowrider. Short lines early in the week, and early on sea days later on. Longer lines were still bearable later on.

Rock climbing was scary.

Ice skating was a blast. But there isn't a ton of open skate hours.