To Be Assigned Cabin

AdmiralQ

This will be my first cruise with Princess. I'm Platinum with Carnival and have cruised a few other lines as well, but decided to try something different and booked a mini-suite and chose to let Princess pick the cabin. My friend and I just booked this past weekend and are now 23 days away from sailing. How far in advance of departure will Princess assign us a cabin? Any chance, however small, of getting upgraded to a full suite?

You will receive your cabin assignment any time between Right Now and When You Get to the Dock. (Actually, we once got an upgrade we didn't know about until we were already onboard and were hunting around for the right cabin.)

There is, of course, always a chance of being upgraded to a suite, same as there's always a chance of hitting a huge jackpot on one of Princess' ultra-tight slots.

Edited by shepp

This will be my first cruise with Princess. I'm Platinum with Carnival and have cruised a few other lines as well, but decided to try something different and booked a mini-suite and chose to let Princess pick the cabin. My friend and I just booked this past weekend and are now 23 days away from sailing. How far in advance of departure will Princess assign us a cabin? Any chance, however small, of getting upgraded to a full suite?

you may get your cabin number anytime from now until check in and no one knows how the upgrade fairy works, its luck of the draw

Any time between now and when you get to the pier. Your chances of being upgraded to a full suite are somewhere between slim and none. Most likely the latter.

When you book a mini-suite GTY, about the only difference is location on Dolphin deck. Exactly the same cabin and balcony. Only mini's that are different are those on Emerald deck which have a covered balcony and there aren't many of those. They usually book quickly. All of the Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies are uncovered and exposed to the sun, weather, and every cabin above.

Edited by Pam in CA

We booked a guarantee mini on one of our cruises and got the last aft (on the side of the ship - not the aft aft). On 6 ships these cabins were originally configured for handicapped, but didn't make the cut. Doors in the wrong position or something. Anyway, it was GREAT! Next time I spring for a mini, that is what I would choose.

The ships are:

Caribbean D732-733

Diamond D736-737

Golden D732-733

Grand D732-733

Sapphire D736-737

Star D732-733

The bathroom and balcony are enormous.

If you want to see pictures, look here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959727

I'm waiting for our cabin assignments for next month. The anticipation with booking a guarantee can be fun. The latest we've received our assignment has been three days before a cruise. We had already left home by then. It was OK. The porters at the dock had blank luggage tags that we could write our cabin number on. They also have a list of cabin assignments in case you don't find out until you get to the pier.

Thanks for all the info! I didn't spend any time looking at deck plans so it's good to know we will most likely be on Dolphin. I'm really looking forward to trying Princess.

Although I'm kinda bummed there's no formal night on 4 night cruises. Will I look out of place if I do wear a suit and tie one night?

No, you won't look out of place in a suit and tie. On our four-night cruises, they've had what they called "Dress to Impress" nights. The photographers set up their backdrops in various places for those who want their photos on this night. It's the night the captain gives his speech in the atrium.

Edited by geoherb

Thanks for all the info! I didn't spend any time looking at deck plans so it's good to know we will most likely be on Dolphin. I'm really looking forward to trying Princess.

Although I'm kinda bummed there's no formal night on 4 night cruises. Will I look out of place if I do wear a suit and tie one night?

Out of place...probably not...but maybe the only one.

Everyone seems to dress how they feel most comfortable. You do not say which ship you are on and where you are cruising to. We just got off b2b the Caribbean Princess (2 five days cruises) where there was a formal night on each cruise. We saw 6 tux, about 4 suites, and the rest very casual some with ties, slacks and dress shirts but the majority not dressed any differently than any other night.

It's a 4 day on the Caribbean Princess to Grand Cayman. Looks like I'll probably skip the suit. I like to travel as light as I can and the suit will just take up too much space in my luggage if no one or hardly anyone else will be wearing one.

Out of place...probably not...but maybe the only one.

Everyone seems to dress how they feel most comfortable. You do not say which ship you are on and where you are cruising to. We just got off b2b the Caribbean Princess (2 five days cruises) where there was a formal night on each cruise. We saw 6 tux, about 4 suites, and the rest very casual some with ties, slacks and dress shirts but the majority not dressed any differently than any other night.

It really does depend ship to ship. We got off Ruby last week and mostly saw suits and ties on our formal night. Some tuxes and a handful of casual people (including someone in shorts).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
If you booked direct with Princess, do they automatically send you an email when your cabin has been assigned, or do you have to keep checking your booking on their website?

Thanks!

They are supposed to send you an E-mail.

Sometimes people find out about it on the Personalizer before receiving the E-mail.

Sometimes people do not see the E-mail because it goes into spam those times.

My travel agent forwards the email he receives from Princess with my cabin assignment. I've usually found out through the Cruise Personalizer before he gets a chance to. I check it a couple of times a day--usually once in the morning and then again in the evening when DH asks if we've gotten a cabin assignment yet. We still don't have them for our b2b cruises next month on the CB. Just 32 days to go.

They are supposed to send you an E-mail.

Sometimes people find out about it on the Personalizer before receiving the E-mail.

Sometimes people do not see the E-mail because it goes into spam those times.

Thanks. Sailing in just over a week and haven't had a guarantee on Princess in a while. Thinking that cabin assignment should be happening any day now.

I'm very happy this morning. Booked a category BZ (obstructed balcony) guarantee in August on the Coral Princess sailing 2/5/15. I have checked occasionally to see if there was an assignment, and up until yesterday afternoon there wasn't. Today I logged in and found we are on the Aloha deck in a BC category. A mid-forward balcony is going to be fabulous for this cruise.

The first time we booked a guarantee we received our assignment 10 days out from departure. This time we are 4 days after final payment, so no more anxiety, just eager anticipation!

:D

Congrats to Eroller. I would love to get a Caribe Deck balcony for our upcoming cruises.

And congrats to Seafoam Green. I like forward balcony cabins.

We'll be happy wherever we end up. It's just nice that Princess put the balcony cabins on sale for our cruises. With the additional onboard credit, they're ending up less expensive than booking an outside cabin would have been.