Is Concierge Class Worth it if you are Elite?

hovank

I have read through this thread and am surprised that no one has mentioned the difference in base prices when the 123 promo is offered.

When I priced out the options for a Mar 16 Equinox cruise on one popular web site it curiously showed oceanviews as quite a bit more expensive than balconies. I discovered the cause of this curiousity by reading the promo offer - it was because the oceanviews offered the 123 promo and the balconies did not.

This may have been a unique or rare circumstance, but I came to the conclusion, possibly erroneous (I often am), that the inclusion of the 123 raised the base price of the oceanviews about $500 pp. Unless one opted for the drinks package there was no real savings with the promo base price so inflated. My elite Plus status will allow us the opportunity to enjoy a free cocktail - I´ll purchase a wine package for a couple of hundred.

On the Concierge class v standard balcony (2A-2D) debate, I note that the 2Ds were located midship and the C2 (1655) I was upgraded to from a C3 was quite aft and $400 more than a 2D guarantee. I prefer the midship location to an unobstructed view. On this ship we will use the balcony principly for drying our gym clothes (there are no self service laundries) and only occasionally for reading or having a drink. The absence of a view will underwrite the cost of wine and specialty dining... a better way to allocate my money. I have seen the sea before and it hasn´t changed much.

With Celebrity, you would get 1 of the 123 promo for an ocean view or balcony. You get all three with a Concierge and above booking. I don't know what the "popular website" is offering. You are correct in the price difference though. Probably means that the OV's are selling well. There are a lot less OV cabins than balcony's on an S Class

I went back and reviewed the price offerings. From one TA, a C2 with all 3 of the 123 promo freebies was 5850 for 2 pax whereas without the 123 promo the same C2 was 4900. So it´s approx 950 to get the bevereage package, prepaid grats (280) and 300 additional obc. Not too bad if you want the Concierge with the additional cost it comes with.

p.s. I wound up booking a 2D guarantee from a different TA . It came with free grats (264) and a 250 obc for 3870. Their price for a balcony with paid grats and only the beverage package option was 4470 which is 600 for the bev package. We won´t drink that much.

Edited by pmacher61

I thought that the 123 didn't apply to guarantee rates anyway :confused:? The OP said it was a Concierge GTY cabin he was looking to change to?

I couldn't find any specific language within the 123 program T&C's that specifically excludes GTY cabins.

That said, GTY's tend to pop up only close to final payments, and the current 123 applies to cruises that depart February forward, so likely very few, if any GTY's on sale yet for those itineraries.

We had an Aqua class A2 booking for June 2015 on the Reflection and switched to an XA (Aqua Class Guarantee) just before xmas and kept all the 123go perks.

The GTY rate only showed up for a few days and then it was pulled.

I went back and reviewed the price offerings. From one TA, a C2 with all 3 of the 123 promo freebies was 5850 for 2 pax whereas without the 123 promo the same C2 was 4900. So it´s approx 950 to get the bevereage package, prepaid grats (280) and 300 additional obc. Not too bad if you want the Concierge with the additional cost it comes with.

p.s. I wound up booking a 2D guarantee from a different TA . It came with free grats (264) and a 250 obc for 3870. Their price for a balcony with paid grats and only the beverage package option was 4470 which is 600 for the bev package. We won´t drink that much.

I have been trying to locate a calendar of times when 123 was not on offer over the last year or so. Do you know the particular periods it was not valid?

To my mind, every time one offer expired, another came into play and took its place.

The reason why we book Concierge Class over a veranda room is basically Blue. The amenities in CC class other than possibly the shower are not really deal breakers between the 2 room classes. In comparison to the master dining room Blue is far superior in food quality, service and atmosphere. My only complaint about Blue is that if you have done AQ a number of times the menu becomes repetitively boring.

The reason why we book Concierge Class over a veranda room is basically Blue. The amenities in CC class other than possibly the shower are not really deal breakers between the 2 room classes. .

Did you mean to say you book AQ over a veranda because of Blu?

I have been trying to locate a calendar of times when 123 was not on offer over the last year or so. Do you know the particular periods it was not valid?

To my mind, every time one offer expired, another came into play and took its place.

I booked my Equinox cruise right after Christmas. At the time I booked, the famous "75% off" TA web site showed no 123 for balconies but 123 for oceanview. A week later that changed and the price inversion had ended. I don´t now recall whether that was because the 123 ended for oceanviews or it was implemented for balconies. More than this I can not say re the subject of periods when 123 was not on offer..

Edited by pmacher61

I booked my Equinox cruise right after Christmas. At the time I booked, the famous "75% off" TA web site showed no 123 for balconies but 123 for oceanview. A week later that changed and the price inversion had ended. I don´t now recall whether that was because the 123 ended for oceanviews or it was implemented for balconies. More than this I can not say re the subject of periods when 123 was not on offer..

If you mean this year after christmas, the 123 was in force for any standard cabin booked via celebrity.

If you booked via agent and found it was not valid, then you are under the Group rooms policies, and not those of Celebrity. Sometimes group cabins fares negate celebrity offered perks, and in these cases the agency decides to gift the same perks as if it was the true 123 perk.

In short if you booked this christmas, and priced a ocean view or veranda - the 123 perk applied for all cabins, unless it was booked via restricted group inventory from the TA, and of course you'd have large price and perk variances, as the agency took on the risk of selling those cabins and chooses what perks to offer and when.

To my knowledge this latest 123 perk is the 1st time for US bookers, it applied to Oceanviews, usually it's been verandas and better.

Edited by cle-guy

AQ is not worth $400 more but disagree with prior poster. Blu is excellent (NOT OVER RATED) and as good as the specialty restaurants.

Blu can vary by cruise. On Solstice we thought it was ok. On Summit in November we thought it was excellent and would definitely book it again. I think adding the room to M class ships post-build allowed them to create a much more comfortable space. And service was excellent, as was the food. On Solstice both were good, but not excellent.

Is $400 more total worth it? Probably not to me, although it would be a tough decision. We love Blu on M class in particular, and really enjoy the breakfast as well as the dinner (sometimes people forget about that, and it is a much more enjoyable experience than the buffet or the MDR).

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the often-difficult-to-fathom pricing variations driven by:

a) TAs offering cabins from their specially priced group rates; and

b) the line and/or TAs' offering special promos combining 1 or all 3 of the 1- 2-3 promo; and

c) space/location distinctions between various classes of ship; and

d) personal preferences re spa, upgraded toiletries and shower heads, etc;

there are additional considerations when it comes to choosing Aqua class.

In order to fine tune the cost benefit analysis of buying up to Aqua/Blu, one needs to be mindful of the existence of perks that come with one's frequent cruiser status as well as the specialty dining alternatives. For example, on my last cruise, Elite+ had a separate dining room for breakfast (as well as free drinks in the evening). Though not as complete a menu as Blu, the Elite+ breakfast area is far superior to the MDR or buffet. It is an excellent alternative for those who prefer a quiet/read the daily newsletter space with great personal service and an extremely elaborate continental breakfast. I can live without eggs and lox/bacon every day.

The specialty restaurant package pricing may also be a factor in whether one wants to upgrade. I admittedly have not eaten in Blu so can only project that it is somewhat similar to the Samsara class on Costa (though the latter is likely not as upscale). Nevertheless, I would have to believe one eats as well or likely better in the specialty restaurants (Murano, Silk, Tuscan Grill etc depending on class). The discounted cost of a specialty restaurant package providing for upscale dining on many, if not most, nights may further marginalize the benefit of Aqua/Blu.

In any case, what is beyond dispute and all the number crunching is that cruising is a fun way to spend your money. Living well is the best revenge.

I believe the 123 go program started in late 2012 around Nov or Dec. I had just booked a cruise for spring 2013 and I locked into a promo where I was rewarded $500 gift card to be applied towards the balance of my cruise fare. A week or so after that the 123 go promo was offered but I couldn't apply it to my booking because I received the other offer. Even though the drink package was a better value than the $500 gift card the price of the cruise went up so it didn't pay to cancel and rebook. I attempted to book a Bermuda cruise when the itinerary first opened in 2013 for 2014 sailing. The 123go promo was still running but not applicable for the itinerary I wanted so I didn't book. A few months later it was then applicable to the sailing that I was interested in. It seems that the only time the promo wasn't running was when the new itinerary opened up. Now I just booked a Bermuda cruise for 2016 when the itinerary opened and the 123 go promo along with the All inclusive promo were available to me. I think they should stop calling it a promo because it seems to have become a permanent fixture when booking. They were even running a last minute luxury sale along with the 123go and all inclusive package. Talk about confusion.