Cruising is soooo much better than AI resorts!

So my wife and I just got back from a very nice(Riu Palace Las Americas) resort in Cancun. This was considered to be a 5 star resort. We had went on the carnival conquest for our honeymoon two years ago.

The Cruise kicked the resort's hindend.

Food- So much better on the cruise. The resort had 5 specialty restrauents and a buffet. None of them came close to the dinners on the cruise. The buffets were about the same.

Entertainment- This is what probably got me most of all. The resort has a TOTAL lack of it. Cruising there is always something to do, although you don't have to do it. SOOO MUCH BETTER!

Service- Twice as good as the resort from the maids to the waiters.

EVERYTHING WAS SOOOO MUCH better on the cruise.

Just leaving this post for those of you who are thinking about trying an AI resort. Keep in mind, this resort is considered one of the best in Cancun.

thanks for posting that. I've been kicking around thoughts of AI's.....maybe I should keep those thoughts in my head and leave them there.
Me too!!! LOL

I think of it then I hear that darn horn and I am hooked all over again!!!:D

thanks for posting that. I've been kicking around thoughts of AI's.....maybe I should keep those thoughts in my head and leave them there.

Same here. Thought about maybe trying an AI, but maybe now I'll think about it a lot less. ;)

Let me politely disagree...

First - I love cruising, but... it all depends on a resort.

We spent 2 vacations in Iberostar ( Punta Cana and Hacienda Dominicus) in Dominican Republic and had great service. We'd chosen to eat in buffets, which were great ( 1000 choices includin suckling pig etc), but we could dine in 3 different wait restaurant with full service).

We also had pool games and sport games as well as dance/singer shows every night.

Downside of A/I for me is that I HATE to lay on the beach for more than 1 hour a day... and on the ship by the pool it's isn't as hot as on the land (seabreeze I guess) Also I like to be able to visit different ports during 7 days vacation. So for us it is cruising from now on. Plus cruises offer discounts on 3rd/4th person while A/I only for the kids under 12. :)

I was wondering how the pricing compares. We usually take a 7 night cruise with a balcony/or mini-suite for about $1,000 per person. How would that compare with a 7 night all inclusive? We have some friends that swear by the all inclusive but they have never been on a cruise.

Jan, I enjoy both types vacation. I've gone to AI resorts and spent far less than $1,000pp, including air. Always found the food to be on par with cruiselines. Rates vary, so you'd have to do some checking to compare. I enjoyed Sandals, and also one that Princess offered in Freeport, Bahamas. Both were wonderful. I DO prefer cruising, but I think there are good things about both.:)

The AI vacations we have taken have always been much, much cheaper. Why? We spend too much money at the bar on cruises. :( Why do we continue to cruise...because the food, the atmosphere, the ports of call, the variety of things to do on the cruise top the AI vacations we have taken by a long shot. :D

DH and I are also booked at the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun for mid September, we also Cruise except when we honeymooned in Hawaii. I wanted to try something different this as we are running out of islands to sail too and I'm not big on repeating islands.

I was wondering how the pricing compares. We usually take a 7 night cruise with a balcony/or mini-suite for about $1,000 per person. How would that compare with a 7 night all inclusive? We have some friends that swear by the all inclusive but they have never been on a cruise.

We've only stayed in 4.5*** - 5*** and our prices ranged from $850 to $1000

pp in Dominican Republic.

Rooms with balconey... Food was great and service nice. (they didn't speak much english but were very polite). Also all drinks were included in price.

We did Sandals for our honeymoon. It cost a bundle for only 6 nights. Cruising for 7 nights, plus a pre-night hotel, excursions, tips, drinks, shopping still works out to be ever so slightly cheaper than Sandals. Sandals is great but we seem to have loads more fun on a cruise. One nice thing about a cruise is everyone shows up on the same day and leaves on the same day so you get to party with the same people for the entire week.

If you truly love to sit on the beach everyday then try an AI. If you have never done so, you may actually love it better.

I grew up on the water and own a boat and love boating. I never had any interest in going on a cruise. 2 years ago I was talked into going on a cruise. Needless to say that we love it and this is our third year in a row going. Next year we are doing two. Our normal September cruise and a 3 or 4 night cruise with the kids early in the year.

It really depends on your all inclusive package. While I love cruising, and both cruising and AI vacations have their advantages, I think all inclusive vacations beat out cruising.

I will say I've only cruised once but I've done all inclusive in Aruba, Acapulco, Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Negril, Montego Bay, and Runaway Bay.

I've also done many islands not all inclusive.

Not all AI's chain you to the resort. The Palace Resorts in Mexico offer trips to their resorts and no extra charge and many off property excursions at no extra charge.

Sandal's Resorts also allow you to stay at one and play at all.

The most lux AIs would be Jamaica either the Ritz-Carlton, Round Hill, Half Moon, Grand Lido Braco, or Sans Souci Lido. They would probably be on par with cruises like Radisson, Silverseas or Seabourn which are pretty much AI.

I don't think you can blanket statement that across the board either AI or cruises are best.

If that is the case, I will say cruising around the islands in a private yacht is FAR superior to a cruise :eek:

Let me throw my .02 cents in. I have been on one cruise and to one AI. To me, they are totally different vacations.

Most AI's don't focus on the entertainment because you have the whole island or city to explore. The AI we went to on our honeymoon had better food than the cruise, but I had more fun on the ship than just staying at the resort itself. Now we did book four excursions out in the city (Puerto Vallarta) and went shopping in town while at the AI and had lots of fun. We also booked excusrions through the ship and had a great time as well.

One thing that I like more with an AI vacation over a cruise is that you get to really experience the island or city you are staying in. Most of the time you are there for five or more days, where as you're only in port for six to eight hours. But, you get to see more places on a cruise.

As far as money, we are going on the Conquest in September, and then to a newly built 5 star AI in Playa Del Carmen in October. Both will be for 7 days.

We will be spending about $ 250.00 more at the AI, but this includes all of our alcohol, all food (where as some places on the ship charge for specialty foods), and we will have an oceanview suite with jacuzzi, and a hammock on the balcony. We will be staying in an oceanview without balcony on the ship.

To me, they are both great vacations that everyone can enjoy. Why limit yourself to just one type of vacation? A vacation is what you make of it, and going in with a good attitude about either one will make all the difference.

Just did Conquest with a balcony and it cost for 3 to get on ship- $3014.00-that was a guarantee. total trip including flight, hotel in New orleans, excursions tips, alcohol, Bingo etc- total trip about $4800.00I am now pricing AI- beaches in Turks and Caicos and it's more - about $6200 but $3000 is the flight, I am very into taking different type of vacation and seeing different places. I love the cruise thing but only about every 3 or 4 years!!

I think it's whatever floats your boat!!!

I think it's whatever floats your boat!!!
Ahhh, I like that answer. Or how about "all of the above"? We love our land trips to St. Martin, but don't do AI because of all the features the island offers. Lots and lots of great eating places, and exciting things to do. So a third option - ala carte travel where you stay somewhere, but eat and have fun where ever the mood strikes you. We are so looking forward to our three week ala carte vacation in St. Martin in February - but are also looking forward to another cruise this fall or next spring (not yet selected).

I absolutely LOVE AI vacations, but I also choose the resorts that cover my specific needs and don't just book someplace for the price.

My favorite resort has nightly entertainment shows as well as a guest talent show, Karaoke, a sing along piano bar, disco open all night with a water slide tunneling through it, 3 restaurants to choose from for dinner (all are fantastic!), huge hot tubs, fresh water pools, FREE premium drinks, no tipping allowed, free airport transfers, no port charges, topless and nude areas, and the list goes on and on.... The price is very similar except I have to pay for drinks on my cruises. The AI resort does not have 24 hour pizza though...

Don't get me wrong, I love to cruise, but I usually cruise to find out which spots I'd like to spend an entire week at later on down the road. It's nice for me to alternate my vacations between land and cruising for variety.

Where is your fav AI? Sounds fun!!

I absolutely LOVE AI vacations, but I also choose the resorts that cover my specific needs and don't just book someplace for the price.

My favorite resort has nightly entertainment shows as well as a guest talent show, Karaoke, a sing along piano bar, disco open all night with a water slide tunneling through it, 3 restaurants to choose from for dinner (all are fantastic!), huge hot tubs, fresh water pools, FREE premium drinks, no tipping allowed, free airport transfers, no port charges, topless and nude areas, and the list goes on and on.... The price is very similar except I have to pay for drinks on my cruises. The AI resort does not have 24 hour pizza though...

Don't get me wrong, I love to cruise, but I usually cruise to find out which spots I'd like to spend an entire week at later on down the road. It's nice for me to alternate my vacations between land and cruising for variety.

It all depends on what you have in mind for your "Vacation". I've done both, numerous times, and I've enjoyed both. In my younger days I truly enjoyed the AI's because the drinks and beach activities where endless. The partying I found much MUCH bigger at the AI's. Most likely??? because the alcohol is included... When I finally got DH on a cruise, well, that's his thing now and I have enjoyed all my cruises too. Leaving again 9/3 on the Glory. I do find that I read and sleep a lot more on a cruise. Like I said before, it's just what you want to do on your vacation. Enjoy it all.

Archived