Leaving kids on ship at Port

crazycruizer

I forgot that I had made this post! Glad to read everyone's responses about whether or not it is allowed. Laughing at all the parenting advice I have received. Thanks for your concern. My 12 years of parenting 4 kids has so far left them all fairly unscathed. This also includes leaving my 3 and 5 year olds all alone on a cruise a few years back. I spend hundreds of hours a year teaching personal empowerment and safety education to young kids. I know the risks and I am willing to take them. I choose not to spend my life worrying about what might be happening every single second of the day.

My kids are 4 and 7 that I would like to leave on board, and sounds like this will be allowed. My brother will also be leaving his 4 year old and my sister her 5 year old. I guess we are all just a bunch of unfit parents ;) With over 30 of my siblings, parents, nieces and nephews on board there might be someone left on board that will be there in case a need arrives, and there might not be.

Thanks for your answers!

why is this any different then commuting to work an hour and half away while your kids are at school or daycare? Bring a cell phone and if any issues they will get a hold of you.

It's different because if the parent is late returning, the ship departs without the parent.

That does not happen in a commute to work situation.

I forgot that I had made this post! Glad to read everyone's responses about whether or not it is allowed. Laughing at all the parenting advice I have received. Thanks for your concern. My 12 years of parenting 4 kids has so far left them all fairly unscathed. This also includes leaving my 3 and 5 year olds all alone on a cruise a few years back. I spend hundreds of hours a year teaching personal empowerment and safety education to young kids. I know the risks and I am willing to take them. I choose not to spend my life worrying about what might be happening every single second of the day.

My kids are 4 and 7 that I would like to leave on board, and sounds like this will be allowed. My brother will also be leaving his 4 year old and my sister her 5 year old. I guess we are all just a bunch of unfit parents ;) With over 30 of my siblings, parents, nieces and nephews on board there might be someone left on board that will be there in case a need arrives, and there might not be.

Thanks for your answers!

Nice to know you are ignoring all the people who are afraid to do anything with children.

We did it last year. My 4 year old stayed on the ship while my husband, older son and myself did a salmon fishing charter. She was happy doing age appropriate activities and we were happy not having a bored preschooler underfoot. Win win for everyone.

It is no different than leaving your child with a babysitter.

Nice to know you are ignoring all the people who are afraid to do anything with children.

I don't think people are afraid to do things with children. As OP said, they hope to zip line with the 2 older children. That is not an appropriate activity for the younger 2 who would be happy to just do kiddie things. Should the whole idea of zip lining be scrapped?

I don't think people are afraid to do things with children. As OP said, they hope to zip line with the 2 older children. That is not an appropriate activity for the younger 2 who would be happy to just do kiddie things. Should the whole idea of zip lining be scrapped?

They are afraid to get to shore to do activities while allowing the younger children to stay on the ship. That is the fear many of the posters expressed, completely useless suggestions as the OP let them know. I was just agreeing with OP.

we did it last year. My 4 year old stayed on the ship while my husband, older son and myself did a salmon fishing charter. She was happy doing age appropriate activities and we were happy not having a bored preschooler underfoot. Win win for everyone.

exactly

I would imagine it would be pretty darn traumatic for a kid to be alone on a ship sailing away without mommy or daddy, don't you? No one is talking about the kid not being safe. Common sense says a parent doesn't leave junior behind while they are off playing somewhere. I can't fathom even thinking that would be ok. Edited - of course, that's just me. Obviously there are parents here who think this is ok. I don't, and wouldn't do it.

You mean to tell me you and your husband have never gone to dinner or shopping or wherever without your children? I call BS on that.

Woah- all this fearful, anxious parenting. I would think children on a ship supervised would be perfectly safe. I'm not sure whether the media over here blows everything out of proportion, but I would think children would be in more danger attending school in the US with their lax gun laws than being supervised on a cruise ship -after all firearms aren't allowed onboard a cruise ship. Have a great day and enjoy your zip lining. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did have our ship depart very late from Bermuda because of this !

2 parents missed the last ferry (a short ride about 1/2 hour) from St. George and had to take land transportation ( about 2 hours ) They had left their young kids on the ship.

The Captain would not leave the kids and luggage on the dock with the port agent .

Edited by biker@sea

Woah- all this fearful, anxious parenting. I would think children on a ship supervised would be perfectly safe. I'm not sure whether the media over here blows everything out of proportion, but I would think children would be in more danger attending school in the US with their lax gun laws than being supervised on a cruise ship -after all firearms aren't allowed onboard a cruise ship. Have a great day and enjoy your zip lining. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What a load of crap!

Where are the mods to censor this?

We did have our ship depart very late from Bermuda because of this !

2 parents missed the last ferry (a short ride about 1/2 hour) from St. George and had to take land transportation ( about 2 hours ) They had left their young kids on the ship.

The Captain would not leave the kids and luggage on the dock with the port agent .

Years ago in Key West, 2 preteens didn't reboard our ship, but the parents were on board. After a search, they were sitting on some building steps thinking someone would come get them. Anyhow, the ship wouldn't sail without them. Boy did the parents and the 2 girls get reprimanded by other passengers! The parents didn't even take it seriously.

why is this any different then commuting to work an hour and half away while your kids are at school or daycare? Bring a cell phone and if any issues they will get a hold of you.

Because school and daycare do not have a port schedule to meet.

Because school and daycare MUST care for your child until you return

Because school and daycare have next of kin info to contact should you be injured or worse while away from your kid and those contacts are usually very close by and can come get your child

Because school and daycare can and will call the proper authorities to care for your child if need be and those authorities will be from the country you are a resident of not a foreign country

Because school and daycare are usually located on solid ground and don't disappear after a 10 hour port stop

Because school and daycare do not have 4000 pax and crew working in their building who need to be considered

Because school and daycare are located in a country you live in. Oh I stated that already😱

So those are just some of the ways it is different

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Leave the younger two at home. Less risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And of course you know they have a loving caring capable adult family member who can take vacation time to care for the kids?

A more realistic suggestion might be to just not go zipping.

A couple of years ago I was in the Pearl's Haven. Parents left 11 and 12 year olds while they went on a private excursion. Yep - you guessed it. They missed the ship and the ship waited an hour for them. We could hear the girls crying every time the door opened. It was my impression that NCL had a female crew member spend the night with the girls. This was the last port of the cruise, with the next stop being back in Miami after a day at sea. They had to find transportation from the island back to Miami. No one was hurt, but it was a long two days for those two girls.

If I were to do that, I would only take NCL excursions -- the ship will wait for you then!

Thanks for your answers!

Maybe if you had posted all if the above details your responses would have been different

There is always more to every post

Again if you had posted ALL if the details you would have gotten better answers....👎

We did it last year. My 4 year old stayed on the ship while my husband, older son and myself did a salmon fishing charter. She was happy doing age appropriate activities and we were happy not having a bored preschooler underfoot. Win win for everyone.

You mean a babysitter that comes to your house to watch your kids in your house while you go out to dinner right and the babysitter then puts your kids to sleep in their own beds?

Yep exactly the same thing.

Edited by luvtheships

You mean a babysitter that comes to your house to watch your kids in your house while you go out to dinner right and the babysitter then puts your kids to sleep in their own beds?

Yep exactly the same thing.

Some of you are way too serious, take words too literally and miss the point of a post.

Risk of danger to your children as they stay aboard while you go into port: Almost nil

Risk of criticism to you from CC Helicopter Parents: High

Well that's a new take on things. Not wanting to leave your kids on the ship makes one a helicopter parent. Hmmm

Also reread the thread....they have an enormous family group with them to watch the kids..... Something that was conveniently left out if the initial

Post. As usual

Some of you are way too serious, take words too literally and miss the point of a post.

Sorry but having a babysitter comes to your home and using the ship as a babysitter while in a foreign country are 2 totally different things.

Not commenting on the safety or reliability of either btw

You mean to tell me you and your husband have never gone to dinner or shopping or wherever without your children? I call BS on that.

Of course we have - with the grandparents babysitting. I would never leave a small child on a cruise ship alone, without other family onboard.

Well that's a new take on things. Not wanting to leave your kids on the ship makes one a helicopter parent. Hmmm

Also reread the thread....they have an enormous family group with them to watch the kids..... Something that was conveniently left out if the initial

Post. As usual

Yep. Gotta love it :rolleyes: