Leaving kids on ship at Port

crazycruizer

I am trying to find the definitive answer to this question.

Can you leave kids on ship while you leave on Port Days.

I know that they have a program called Port Play and that you have to pay a lunching fee ($6?), but I am trying to figure out if you HAVE to be on a ship sponsored shore excursion to take advantage of this.

I am hoping to do zip lining with my older 2 kids, and to leave my younger 2 on the ship, I would rather not book it direct with the ship. I did this 6 years ago when we were on Royal Caribbean, but haven't been able to find a definitive answer from NCL.

I am trying to find the definitive answer to this question.

Can you leave kids on ship while you leave on Port Days.

I know that they have a program called Port Play and that you have to pay a lunching fee ($6?), but I am trying to figure out if you HAVE to be on a ship sponsored shore excursion to take advantage of this.

I am hoping to do zip lining with my older 2 kids, and to leave my younger 2 on the ship, I would rather not book it direct with the ship. I did this 6 years ago when we were on Royal Caribbean, but haven't been able to find a definitive answer from NCL.

I imagine you can, if you make the proper arrangements, let staff know where you are, etc.

Personally, I would NEVER leave any young children on the ship while I'm in port, doing whatever. Heaven forbid, you never know. I would not have piece of mind or a good time, wondering how they are doing.

NOTHING to me could be as important as knowing I'm close enough to my children just in case.

The decision and choice is yours. I pray you make the right one.

Safe sails to you and yours.

What if there is some sort of emergency and you either cannot get back to the ship or the emergency is on the ship while you are on land and you can't reboard to get your kids? I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing this at all. But it's up to you and I don't want to criticize you, just make you aware of the possibility.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I've read this same question over on the Carnival boards and the answers come back mixed. There was the "I'd never ever do that" to "why not?". I don't think it's horrible to leave a child on board as long as there is a way to contact you if needed.

It's a shame when someone poses a question, but does not get an answer, but gets opinions instead. I see the difficulty when you have an age range of children on a cruise.

On the Pearl last week, we were told that as long as the child does not have any medical conditions or allergies they can stay in the kids club while parents get off at the port. In fact, we left ours there, but we were only going to walk around right outside the port.

why is this any different then commuting to work an hour and half away while your kids are at school or daycare? Bring a cell phone and if any issues they will get a hold of you.

Not trying to be negative, but you never know what could happen in a Port? Are you kids prepared to sail alone? What if you missed the ship? OMG

Working far from kids on land is a lot different. The school knows your children, a neighbor could get them or local police in case of an emergency.

Your children, your decision......We live in very uncertain times :-(

Not trying to be negative, but you never know what could happen in a Port? Are you kids prepared to sail alone? What if you missed the ship? OMG

Working far from kids on land is a lot different. The school knows your children, a neighbor could get them or local police in case of an emergency.

Well you do need to be a little smart about it. I would not go anywhere where I may not be able to get back like booking a private boat excursion. If I was to do this it would either be on a ship sponsored excursion ( no worry about them leaving ) or something where even if the tour I was on broke down I could get a cab. In addition I would plan on arriving back at the ship at least 2 hours before sailing in case.

You trust your school more than NCL? More children have been killed in schools than on cruise ships. Better be safe, start home schooling.:rolleyes:

You trust your school more than NCL? More children have been killed in schools than on cruise ships. Better be safe, start home schooling.:rolleyes:

Did you even read her post?? It had nothing to do with the children being harmed, and everything to do with the parent(s) missing the ship, and the kids being stuck onboard alone. :rolleyes:

Completely agree. We have been sailing for a long time ... and I personally would not leave my child on the ship without a family member present, while I was off on an excursion.

Did you even read her post?? It had nothing to do with the children being harmed, and everything to do with the parent(s) missing the ship, and the kids being stuck onboard alone. :rolleyes:

And then NCL would do what? Throw them overboard? Sell them as sex slaves. The point is, children are safer on a cruise ship than in any public school.:eek:

And then NCL would do what? Throw them overboard? Sell them as sex slaves. The point is, children are safer on a cruise ship than in any public school.:eek:

I would imagine it would be pretty darn traumatic for a kid to be alone on a ship sailing away without mommy or daddy, don't you? No one is talking about the kid not being safe. Common sense says a parent doesn't leave junior behind while they are off playing somewhere. I can't fathom even thinking that would be ok. Edited - of course, that's just me. Obviously there are parents here who think this is ok. I don't, and wouldn't do it.

Edited by SissasMomE

I think the chances of anything happening are ridiculously low, probably lower than mom or dad being killed in a car accident and leaving kids behind forever. On the very, very remote chance the boat left w/o the parents, I am sure NCL would take excellent care of the kids. But, yes, of course they'd be upset.

You can certainly leave them onboard..

We have done so once (in Skagway when we wanted to go and buy some souvenirs). The shops there are directly outside the port. We certainly wouldn't leave our son if we were going on an excursion or away from the port.

As for the difference between this and something happened to parents whilst the kids are at school, it seems fairly obvious to me. For most families, there are friends or family who can pick up kids from school and look after them, probably for a number of days if necessary. On a ship the kids would be left not knowing anybody (NCL staff are very good, but they don't know them the same as family or friends do). There is just no comparison.

Are you planning to leave the kids at the Kids club so they have at least a counselor to watch over them? Or with another family member that's at least an adult age to look over them. Me personally? It's either those 2 1st options I mention ~or~ take them with me, and do or not do the excursions~or~not leave the ship, and another family member does the excursions or no one is doing the excursions.

I haven't seen anywhere here where they OP has mentioned the ages of the children involved. I think that is a big factor.

Also how much independence do they have at home , and how well do they do with it.

If you are still nursing a kid old enough to chew steak and he needs to sleep with Mommy after watching Smurfs . Then I don't think this is a good idea.

If we are talking about a young teen , who has been left on his own for bits of time and can handle it . It may be doable.

I would not leave them and go off on a far off, all day type of excursion where I had to worry about traffic ,and buses breaking down or getting a cab.

But to just walking near the dock area shopping or sightseeing. At the right age, and maturity level. I would do it