What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

Is Princess planning to sell the Pacific Princess? That would be surprising based on a previous post that the ship is profitable. The smaller ships like the Pacific Princess can also cater to passengers seeking to visit niche ports like Geiranger, Norway, that larger ships cannot maneuver easily. I'm trying to understand the logic of why Princess would cede a profitable ship and market to another cruise line, particularly when there are so many cruisers who prefer the smaller ships.

Edited by Mackenzie1

I know I'm in the minority here But ships have to stay modern. This design is just keeping pace with most new ships with the aft room design. And of course there's the fact that I got the new Penthouse suite on Lido for my upcoming Med cruise;) with the full wrap around balcony!

Is Princess planning to sell the Pacific Princess? That would be surprising based on a previous post that the ship is profitable. The smaller ships like the Pacific Princess can also cater to passengers seeking to visit niche ports like Geiranger, Norway, that larger ships cannot maneuver easily. I'm trying to understand the logic of why Princess would cede a profitable ship and market to another cruise line, particularly when there are so many cruisers who prefer the smaller ships.

Probably - the question you should ask is "Is carnival telling princess to change their target market" and the answer is probably yes. Go to this site: http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/ - this is Carnival Corps new angle, basically specializing each cruise line with a target market. The ships and ports are reflections of that target market and market segmentation. It doesn't make sense to have competition within your same company between brands (although inevitable in some locales). But basically, the smaller princess ships always commanded a premium price, which was out of touch with the other ships in the fleet. Sure they may have made money, but if you are going to invest $100 in something that will make you 10, but notice you could invest $100 in something that will make you 15 - which would you choose?

Long story short, princess is aimed squarely at the premium mass market cruiser. The small ships are borderline luxury, and not mass market as they cannot offer the amenities that some other luxury lines charge. It's my bet that Carnival would rather have people who enjoy sailing on OCean or Pacific princess sail on the smaller HAL ships or Seaborn.

Probably - the question you should ask is "Is carnival telling princess to change their target market" and the answer is probably yes. Go to this site: http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/ - this is Carnival Corps new angle, basically specializing each cruise line with a target market. The ships and ports are reflections of that target market and market segmentation. It doesn't make sense to have competition within your same company between brands (although inevitable in some locales). But basically, the smaller princess ships always commanded a premium price, which was out of touch with the other ships in the fleet. Sure they may have made money, but if you are going to invest $100 in something that will make you 10, but notice you could invest $100 in something that will make you 15 - which would you choose?

Long story short, princess is aimed squarely at the premium mass market cruiser. The small ships are borderline luxury, and not mass market as they cannot offer the amenities that some other luxury lines charge. It's my bet that Carnival would rather have people who enjoy sailing on OCean or Pacific princess sail on the smaller HAL ships or Seaborn.

Thank you, Runnerrod. I see what you mean. The profits wouldn't be taken away from Carnival's income statement, but moved to another division that specializes in smaller ship cruising. That may make sense in that each division can focus completely on meeting the needs of their niche, but there are some costs, too, in that cruisers who enjoy cruising on different sizes of ships depending on itinerary may not build up a sense of loyalty to any one cruise line.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Thank you, Runnerrod. I see what you mean. The profits wouldn't be taken away from Carnival's income statement, but moved to another division that specializes in smaller ship cruising. That may make sense in that each division can focus completely on meeting the needs of their niche, but there are some costs, too, in that cruisers who enjoy cruising on different sizes of ships depending on itinerary may not build up a sense of loyalty to any one cruise line.

While I agree with what you say about loyalty, it's important to recognize that the cruise lines are quickly going the way of the airlines when it comes to loyalty, and treating it as nothing more than a 7 letter word..and part of that is to blame on us (the consumer) since loyalty is usually just a 7 letter word when price is concerned. Case and point, going on a HAL or Princess Alaska Cruise with the same itinerary at the same date - if the price is several hundred less for HAL, won't most cruisers choose HAL?

Edited by runnerodb83
clarification

While I agree with what you say about loyalty, it's important to recognize that the cruise lines are quickly going the way of the airlines when it comes to loyalty, and treating it as nothing more than a 7 letter word..and part of that is to blame on us (the consumer) since loyalty is usually just a 7 letter word when price is concerned. Case and point, going on a HAL or Princess Alaska Cruise with the same itinerary at the same date - if the price is several hundred less for HAL, won't most cruisers choose HAL?

I personally would pick Princess because I'm familiar with what the cruise line provides. It means a lot to me to feel comfortable with what I'm going to experience if I'm spending several thousand dollars for an Alaska cruise. Even if HAL would be cheaper, you get what you pay for. If HAL were the only ship cruising in Alaska, however, I would look at HAL, and any other options. There may be too many cruise lines in Alaska already, however, because Princess is cutting back on their itineraries there:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/03/05/princess-cruises-alaska/24443627/

Thank you for your thoughts.

Edited by Mackenzie1

If it was only a couple hundred less we'd stick with Princess.

If it was several THOUSAND less we might have to re-think.

Whether the cruise lines value it or not we do feel loyalty. (Mostly to the wonderful crew we've gotten to know.)

I have some concerns about the new cabins on the Island Princess. We booked a balcony on the Lido deck Sept 19, 2015 out of Venice....never sailed on the Island, however did the Ruby and Regal....any thoughts??

What are your concerns? you should expect a nice view, attentive service, quality food and beverage service, personable room attendant, great itinerary, everything most of us have come to love about Princess. As far as the drydock I wouldn't give it a second thought.

We don't actually know ... but given the sale of the Ocean Princess, the handwriting is strongly suspected to be on the wall. My guess is they are waiting until after the 50th anniversary cruise in December.

We don't actually know ... but given the sale of the Ocean Princess, the handwriting is strongly suspected to be on the wall. My guess is they are waiting until after the 50th anniversary cruise in December.

Thank you, Wehwalt.

I would say its on its way out too. Probably 2017.

What are your concerns? you should expect a nice view, attentive service, quality food and beverage service, personable room attendant, great itinerary, everything most of us have come to love about Princess. As far as the drydock I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I LOVE this post!!!!! :) :) :)

I know I'm in the minority here But ships have to stay modern. This design is just keeping pace with most new ships with the aft room design. And of course there's the fact that I got the new Penthouse suite on Lido for my upcoming Med cruise;) with the full wrap around balcony!

The penthouse suite would tend to put a different perspective to things!:D