What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

I assume with all this extra steelwork added at the stern they will have to add ballast forward to keep her in trim. She will have a greater displacement too so will sit a little lower in the water and have an increased draught.

I assume with all this extra steelwork added at the stern they will have to add ballast forward to keep her in trim. She will have a greater displacement too so will sit a little lower in the water and have an increased draught.

Will that make any change to the ride good or bad?

Will that make any change to the ride good or bad?

Maybe she will be doing a constant wheelie.

Bow out of the water not planed.

Maybe she'll have a "rooster tail"? :p

I served on an aircraft carrier after a 4 year drydock extended the angle deck landing area. They were unable to add sufficient ballast to the starboard side to offset the additional portside weight of the extended angle deck. That resulted in the Midway slightly listing to port. ;)

Hopefully that won't be an issue but wonder if the additional tonnage will result in exceeding the voluntary 96,000 ton limit for Venice? :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Does anyone know if the new cabins on the Lido deck will be covered

How about on the Aloha Deck???? It sure looks like from some of these great photos & the special drawings on them, that the new aft suite balconies on Aloha deck will be uncovered.:eek: Now, that would not be good & what a disappointment.:confused:

Would love to call Princess, but you know how that would go. And their answer, well I can not depend on. And the cruise we are planning will be very warm weather cruise. So will need the cover.

Hopefully there will be up-dated pictures of the aft soon, since it is supposed to be finished soon :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone that responded to my last post. Its making me think I will just stick to the old suites on the side that I know will be covered (Thanks to Tom & the guy that converted his info.) Now that will be quite a project getting that info to include the New Island.

Thanks for all your info,

Grace

We're booked in one of these for our August Med cruise. From what I've been reading, it sounds like they may not have the glass fronts but will be more like the balconies on the old Dawn and Sun.

I thought it would be nice to have a brand new room, but now I'm having second thoughts about this and may want to change to another balcony before it's too late.

For some reason, my computer won't let me see any of the Instagram pictures. Can anybody see anything definite from any of the pictures?

Thanks for any info.

Island has been refloated so is in "wet" dock. Ready to stat the Med Season on the 22nd of May.

great news , they won't have to cancel the 1st cruise

i am packing ready to go june 03. its going to be good:)

Anybody ever tried critiquing a barber in the middle of a haircut? Just a thought.

Jim

At this point the 'haircut' is finished, we're just waiting for the barber to spin us around in the chair to see the results.

;)

At this point the 'haircut' is finished, we're just waiting for the barber to spin us around in the chair to see the results.

;)

True. And I appreciate your reporting throughout all this. It's nice to have someone with the know-how to show us what's happening. But I also think some people may be getting a little overwrought about something that's supposed to be fun: a vacation.

I can understand disappointment if you reserved a particular cabin with the understanding it had a wrap-around balcony and now you're not sure, and I understand if you've sailed on the Island before and don't like its new arrangement. But there's a bit of a sky-is-falling tone in some of the recent posts here, and I'm just trying to keep my perspective.

Jim

I just got off the phone with Princess. I called during normal business hours 9-4.pacific time. I was told a while ago that the dept. that knows about structural things about the ships are open during that time.

So I thought I would share this info they told me, with you. The Aft. suites A728 or A729 balconies on the New Island will be covered, but they will be steel hull balconies (like the aft. owner suites on the Pacific & Ocean Princess, NOT the blue glass kind.:( Since I am short this is important to me. Because when sitting down or on the lounge chair I could not see the ocean. I felt like I was in a steel cave. Although absolutely no wind.

If anyone finds out any different please post, because we all know how reliable the info is that we get from Princess.

Thanks,

Grace

....and I'm just trying to keep my perspective.

Jim

What we are going to see in the coming weeks and months will be the perspective of those who have never sailed Island Princess and will not be aware of 'what was', and those who have sailed her before and can see in their mind's-eye what is now 'missing'. It reminds me of what we saw with the introduction of the Royal-class: there are those who enjoyed and loved the ship, those that can take it or leave it, and those who think it's an abomination.

The hard part for those sailing Island Princess in the future will be how to, without emotion, sift through the 'sky is falling' posts and the 'it was a great vacation' posts - sorting fact from opinion - and use that information to their advantage.

:D

I say you don't miss ,what you don't know!!.... And change is a good thing!! Though scary to some it seems....every ship has it's pros and cons!!....in Europe we chose itinerary over the ship and in the Caribbean we chose the ship!!!.... Works for us!!!

I say you don't miss ,what you don't know!!.... And change is a good thing!! Though scary to some it seems....every ship has it's pros and cons!!....in Europe we chose itinerary over the ship and in the Caribbean we chose the ship!!!.... Works for us!!!

For those that have sailed the Island many times (for us over 10) its what we knew was there and now gone is important. Sorry...... Change is not always a good thing. The ship for us is still a destination in itself. :(