What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

For me aesthetics is a factor however those excellent side-by-side deck plan comparisons you previously posted graphically show too many changes that I don't like without waiting until next week :(

I hate to be redundant but know that some will wonder "how do you know you won't like it before getting on the ship?". I've sailed the Island & Coral several times & the deck plans show too many negative changes for me. Thus I don't require viewing them in person & one of my favorite ships will be a much less desirable ship.

I never say never & if the itinerary and total cost are good would consider the Island. :)

This is pretty much why the Millennium-class ships ceased to be my favorite - after they Solstice-ized them, in my opinion, it ruined the ship. Before they were butchered these were really wonderful ships, but there were just too many things taken away or added that detracted from the 'whole', as I saw it. However, as others have said, there will be lots of new passengers who will never know 'what was'.

:cool:

I vaguely remember one of the P&O ships (Oriana?) adding balcony cabins where there had previously been none. They cut out the large picture windows of the old venue/spaces and then built 'balconies' into the side of the aft superstructure. The end result was more like a hull-balcony than a traditional superstructure-balcony.

:D

If they're going to cut a hole in the hull to create a "balcony", I would prefer more interior room like the Window Suites. Although apparently those were not cost-effective for Princess as few ships added them. The "new" version of their balconies are like a flashback to some of the 1st balconies decades ago...cutouts in the hull with some of the interior space converted into a steel enclosed "balcony". :(

This is pretty much why the Millennium-class ships ceased to be my favorite - after they Solstice-ized them, in my opinion, it ruined the ship. Before they were butchered these were really wonderful ships, but there were just too many things taken away or added that detracted from the 'whole', as I saw it. However, as others have said, there will be lots of new passengers who will never know 'what was'.

:cool:

I'm sure that is what Princess is counting on by removing public spaces for cash generating cabins. Hopefully for Princess' sake it works & it will increase my CCL shares value. With higher initial prices I'm not sure if prices will drop enough to fit into our travel budget. :( If not it may be time to cash in our shares which are nearly worth twice as much as we paid. :)

Wow...over 31,000 views in 6 months of this thread...apparently many of us are interested in what the Island will soon look like. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Does anyone know if the aft facing balconies in the full suites on Aloha or Lido decks will be steel hull (like on the Ocean Princess) or the blue glass type after the Island is finished??????.

If it is going to be steel, then I think, I would prefer the older suites on the sides of the ship.

What do any of you think????

Thanks for your help,

Grace

Does anyone know if the aft facing balconies in the full suites on Aloha or Lido decks will be steel hull (like on the Ocean Princess) or the blue glass type after the Island is finished??????.

If it is going to be steel, then I think, I would prefer the older suites on the sides of the ship.

What do any of you think????

Thanks for your help,

Grace

I wouldn't think they could be steel hull balconies because there was no hull there to begin with.

These pictures were posted earlier and shows the new additions to the stern of Island Princess. I annotated them so you can better see what you're looking at.

A few observations:

In this first picture you can see the new Lido Deck section being dropped in, and the new aft-facing suite locations are labeled. It appears that those will most likely have glass railings.

The Baja Deck pointer labeled in parenthesis is pointing at the new aft-facing staterooms B738, B740, B743, and B741. These appear to be flush with the stern and recessed, and will also most likely have a glass railing.

17571154158_18805c1dc9_c.jpg

In this picture (for clarity) the aft-facing Aloha Deck suites are labeled. Again, these look as if they'll have glass balcony railings.

17571154218_5bd47ab834_c.jpg

Now that we've seen the new Lido Deck section, in this next picture take a look at the Lido Deck and Aloha Deck aft-facing suite locations: does it look like the Aloha Deck aft-facing suites will be 'fully exposed' with no cover?

17571154198_98f5c343fd_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

One more observation from the last image:

If you look at L722, a corner suite, it appears that it will not be a wrap-around as the deck plans indicate. There is a bulkhead in-place on the aft-facing balcony where it aligns with the port side of the ship, and if you look at the balcony deck supports on the port side for L722, there is a curved brace/mount that would most likely indicate that the balcony off of the living room area will not connect to the balcony off of the bedroom area. To see what I mean, look at the existing last balconies already in-place on the A-B-C Decks and you'll see that little curved brace/mount under the balcony deck.

Does any else come top the same conclusion?

17733681506_0270bc7a41_z.jpg

A new Instagram image posted during the night from Trieste of the drydock being flooded in preparation for Island Princess departing. They'll do a slow flood to check for any hull leaks since they breached it removing engine room equipment...

17734241906_95046ac2ed.jpg

(Credit image to thedirtycontractor)

Edited by dmwnc1959

One more observation from the last image:

If you look at L722, a corner suite, it appears that it will not be a wrap-around as the deck plans indicate. There is a bulkhead in-place on the aft-facing balcony where it aligns with the port side of the ship, and if you look at the balcony deck supports on the port side for L722, there is a curved brace/mount that would most likely indicate that the balcony off of the living room area will not connect to the balcony off of the bedroom area. To see what I mean, look at the existing last balconies already in-place on the A-B-C Decks and you'll see that little curved brace/mount under the balcony deck.

Does any else come top the same conclusion?

17733681506_0270bc7a41_z.jpg

If you are correct I will be extremely upset considering I upgraded at $1800 to get L721 because it had a wrap around balcony and if it doesn't Princess will have a problem.

If you are correct I will be extremely upset considering I upgraded at $1800 to get L721 because it had a wrap around balcony and if it doesn't Princess will have a problem.

I may be wrong in those observations, but unless they've changed it I can't see how it would be a wrap-around balcony? I guess we'll find out in a few days when some 'finished pictures' start hitting the internet.

17139340154_0681d32229_c.jpg

These pictures were posted earlier and shows the new additions to the stern of Island Princess. I annotated them so you can better see what you're looking at.

A few observations:

In this first picture you can see the new Lido Deck section being dropped in, and the new aft-facing suite locations are labeled. It appears that those will most likely have glass railings.

The Baja Deck pointer labeled in parenthesis is pointing at the new aft-facing staterooms B738, B740, B743, and B741. These appear to be flush with the stern and recessed, and will also most likely have a glass railing.

17571154158_18805c1dc9_c.jpg

In this picture (for clarity) the aft-facing Aloha Deck suites are labeled. Again, these look as if they'll have glass balcony railings.

17571154218_5bd47ab834_c.jpg

Now that we've seen the new Lido Deck section, in this next picture take a look at the Lido Deck and Aloha Deck aft-facing suite locations: does it look like the Aloha Deck aft-facing suites will be 'fully exposed' with no cover?

17571154198_98f5c343fd_c.jpg

Dave;

Your talents never cease to amaze me. Great work as usual.....:):):)

I feel like if they leave the original curved balconies at the end it will look weird. Hopefully they will add more balconies sticking out at the end.

They would have extended the existing balcony's glass railings in a straight line with the new add-on's, ending the last new balcony (most likely) in a curved-fashion like all the others had been at the end.

Dave;

Your talents never cease to amaze me. Great work as usual.....:):):)

Thanks, Bob! It comes from having quite a bit of practice...lol

;)

I may be wrong in those observations, but unless they've changed it I can't see how it would be a wrap-around balcony? I guess we'll find out in a few days when some 'finished pictures' start hitting the internet.

17139340154_0681d32229_c.jpg

I personally think it will look silly if they do not extend the balconies from where they end currently, but looking at these pictures it does not look like they have added support beams that would be required like those that we see on the LIDO deck???

Happy Cruising!

Mark

[ATTACH]349537[/ATTACH] here's a better photo

Here's the largest I could make it without getting grainy, the various decks are annotated. You can see the end of Aloha and Baja Decks have the curved support/brace that would indicate a curved glass balcony wall as she had at the end of each deck pre-refit. Lido Deck suite L722 is just at the very top of the image.

17762921305_9ec1b783af_z.jpg

(Credit Instagram Shaana2106)

Here's the largest I could make it without getting grainy, the various decks are annotated. You can see the end of Aloha and Baja Decks have the curved support/brace that would indicate a curved glass balcony wall as she had at the end of each deck pre-refit. Lido Deck suite L722 is just at the very top of the image.

Thanks for doing that!

Thanks for doing that!

It's really fun, trust me. ;)

Also, where you see the words 'Promenade Deck' on that last picture, that and the large square to the left of it are part the 'balcony' for the new S5 suite PR726 - more like a giant 'hull balcony' than a traditional superstructure balcony.

I personally think it will look silly if they do not extend the balconies from where they end currently, but looking at these pictures it does not look like they have added support beams that would be required like those that we see on the LIDO deck???

Happy Cruising!

Mark

You can see them in the picture Post #394.

Thanks this later picture shows more detail for the decks that was absent in the earlier photos... makes a little more sense, not that "ruining" the Island Princess made much sense to most of us.

It will be interesting to look at some high resolution aft pictures after the dry dock!

Happy Cruising!

Mark

I will be more than upset. I had booked my transatlantic the first day it opened and then when the change was announced, I switched to suite L722 because of the wrap balcony. There are only two suites left last I looked and I am not interested in either. We got screwed in 2013 on our Christmas Royal cruise in the OS. Our wrap bablcony was useless because of the soot. My TA called Princess many times and was assured that l722 would be a wrapped balcony. If they screw this one up, it may be the end of our relationship with Princess. Suite perks are disappearing like mad.