What do you do in Falmouth?

packyourpixiedust

There is a Margaritaville in Ochos Rios however have not seen one in Falmouth.

The beach in Ochos Rios is small at but if you turn left when you get off the pier there is another beach which costs $3.00 a person to enter. It is a five minute walk and a very big beach.

Yes, there is a Margaritaville right at the Port area in Falmouth. The pool is not huge, but works for cooling off, after a bite to eat or a couple cocktails.

We usually do the zip line.

When we return to the gated area we hit the free wifi spots, have a drink at Margarittaville, swim, visit the vendors, buy blue mountain coffee....smooth...............

Enjoy

Sea Ya

Which spots have free wi fi?

• 4 weeks later...

@lovesvaca - How was your stop in Falmouth? We are stopping there next week and haven't decided what to do? Jamaica is my least favorite island in the Caribbean. So we were just planning on shopping at the port and chilling at Margaritaville. Unless someone can suggest a beach near the port to relax and snorkel.

@lovesvaca - How was your stop in Falmouth? We are stopping there next week and haven't decided what to do? Jamaica is my least favorite island in the Caribbean. So we were just planning on shopping at the port and chilling at Margaritaville. Unless someone can suggest a beach near the port to relax and snorkel.

My cruise isn't until March. So please report back when you return :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edit:Gah, sorry, I didn't realize I'd said this exact same thing earlier in this thread. In my defense, I've slept since then.

If you don't want to leave the port area, I strongly encourage you to get at least as far as the open air market. The local vendors/craftsman have some great prices.

Edited by Saving Up To Be Eccentric
Forgetful brain.

We'll be travelling in March as well with 2 - 16 month olds. So would also be interested in anything people have done with toddlers in Jamaica. Last time we were there he was only 6 months, and we just stayed on the ship.

• 2 months later...
While in Jamaica, we booked a shore excursion through the Celebrity Silhouette called The Best of Jamaica. It featured a trip to climb Dunn’s River Falls, a shopping trip into Ocho Rios, an authentic Jamaican lunch of jerk chicken and pork, time at Shaw beach and a boat cruise. It was a great way to see Jamaica for the first time.

@WiseChoices: What did a tour like that cost?

We just returned from the Independence last week -- and I have to say concerns about Falmouth were waaaaay overblown.

We got off the boat, ran the gauntlet, and ended up in the town square. Vendors were just setting up, and we bought some fresh fruit from a cart to get Jamaican dollars as change (we consistently got better prices in Local money). Then we made our way to the "bend down" market which is held Wednesday mornings. It is a run-down third world bazar, composed of tarps and corrugated roofing. But I have to say my wife and I were mostly ignored, even as the only Caucasians visible. We're both about 35. One section is devoted to clothes, one to food, and I suppose some others.

The rest of the town is run down, but we had no problem going in and out of many small stores. We had lunch at Club Nazz, but the tastee pattie from next door was a better deal. We sent postcards at the post office, took a tour of the courthouse, and worked our way down the main street.

There were many people trying to make a buck, but in terms of 'aggressive' vendors, my wife and I both felt that the Hatian vendors at Labadee were more aggressive and persistent. You must be able to say no. But they will eventually take 'no' for an answer.

True, there is weed everywhere. It's not "safe," in that I suppose you could offend the wrong person and have everything turn south fast. But that's everywhere. We both agreed that the stop in Falmouth was much, much better than we feared based on these boards. We had no trouble filling out the day off the boat, without an excursion.

• 1 month later...
Would also like to know of any free wifi spots in the port area. Wasn't able to find out from the website whether Margaritaville has free wifi or not....

I was told on another thread that Diamonds International has free wifi, and there is supposed to be an area in the back where you can sit down and use it. I haven't used it, and I don't know how up to date this is.

Most of the reviews I've seen for Falmouth with toddlers have just walked around the pier with the stroller, or gone to a resort for a beach day. ROse Hill, a Hilton property, is a good one.

I have been trying to find out if the submarine or the Swamp Safari are toddler friendly, but so far, not enough info.

Another alternative might be a walking tour, if your toddler likes hanging out in a stroller with Falmouth Walking Tours.

We'll be travelling in March as well with 2 - 16 month olds. So would also be interested in anything people have done with toddlers in Jamaica. Last time we were there he was only 6 months, and we just stayed on the ship.

My son was 20 months when we were in Jamaica- we didn't end up doing anything in this port. I would consider a day trip to someplace like Rose Hall. Or look for a beach.

We usually do the zip line.

When we return to the gated area we hit the free wifi spots, have a drink at Margarittaville, swim, visit the vendors, buy blue mountain coffee....smooth...............

Enjoy

Sea Ya

Have you done a combined tour with the zip line or is there only time to do one thing :)

My husband and I *(|(both in late 50's)along with my parents whoa re in their early 80's will be Falmouth and was wondering what we all could do that was sort of low key yet be able to see some of the sights around falmouth and learn about it;s heritage. Anyone have any suggestions that might help me out I would appreciate it so much,

THanks,

Cruzdreamin'

You should see if you can get a day pass a the Royalton White Sands! It's very close to the port in Falmouth, a nice beach, a waterpark for the little, great day of relaxing!

On tripadvisor, it says Royalton is in Montego Bay. Is this correct?

If so, how far a ride is it? Are you all saying it is 30 minutes or 90 minutes?

Thank you.

On tripadvisor, it says Royalton is in Montego Bay. Is this correct?

If so, how far a ride is it? Are you all saying it is 30 minutes or 90 minutes?

Thank you.

I believe I walked past a Royalton on the way back from Burwell Beach. If this is the one referred to, it's about 3 miles east of Falmouth.

Cruisedreamin': about two weeks ago our RCCL ship stopped for the day, and for only $22 each, my wife and I took the Falmouth Trolly Tour, starting right inside the cruise terminal (no reservations required). Monique Thompson, our tour guide, did a wonderful job telling us a little about the city, stopped at the old Anglican Church, and a small beach near the hospital, and taught us a few words in the local dialect. It was a fun, entertaining, informative, relatively low cost and safe way to get outside the artificial cruise terminal shopping world to get a glimpse at the "real" Falmouth. Also, you at be interested to learn that I am working with her to get needed supplies to the children at the hospital there. She has agreed to accept donations from cruise tourists of new personal hygiene items (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, diapers, etc.) and to ensure they get to the mothers and children in need at the hospital. There is a local "supermarket" just outside the gates (straight ahead two blocks, and then to the right, on the right hand side). You can buy some authentic jerk meat seasoning at half the price as the tourist shops and pick up some things to donate to the children if you want. You don't have to take the tour to donate, but please make sure you find Monique and make sure she's working that day before you buy anything to donate. Please say hi to her for me if you see her - she is a lovely, intelligent and caring person who is genuinely interested in helping these needy children.

We did a walking tour when we were there on Independence in Dec 2013. It was not taxing and very informative. Not something with a toddler, but two relatively healthy seniors had no trouble with it. We live at the beach - so a "beach" day is a waste for us, we really like going out and learning about the area we are visiting.

The culinary tour sounded good also, but we only had time for one. Sounds like the trolley tour is a new addition. Looking forward to my next trip so we can check it out. Thanks also for the update on the local supermarket.

Edited by temple1

Is there a Bob Marley tour available from Falmouth? I know there is one from Ocho Rios, but Falmouth might be too far? not sure.

I just dug up an old post on this board and they said it was 1 and a half hours each way. Yikes. Even from Ocho Rios almost that much. I did not realise that it was so far.

Edited by SMSACE6

• 2 weeks later...
Cruisedreamin': about two weeks ago our RCCL ship stopped for the day, and for only $22 each, my wife and I took the Falmouth Trolly Tour, starting right inside the cruise terminal (no reservations required). Monique Thompson, our tour guide, did a wonderful job telling us a little about the city, stopped at the old Anglican Church, and a small beach near the hospital, and taught us a few words in the local dialect. It was a fun, entertaining, informative, relatively low cost and safe way to get outside the artificial cruise terminal shopping world to get a glimpse at the "real" Falmouth. Also, you at be interested to learn that I am working with her to get needed supplies to the children at the hospital there. She has agreed to accept donations from cruise tourists of new personal hygiene items (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, diapers, etc.) and to ensure they get to the mothers and children in need at the hospital. There is a local "supermarket" just outside the gates (straight ahead two blocks, and then to the right, on the right hand side). You can buy some authentic jerk meat seasoning at half the price as the tourist shops and pick up some things to donate to the children if you want. You don't have to take the tour to donate, but please make sure you find Monique and make sure she's working that day before you buy anything to donate. Please say hi to her for me if you see her - she is a lovely, intelligent and caring person who is genuinely interested in helping these needy children.

This sound perfect for us.

Where exactly inside the terminal is this please? Is there a sign of some sort?

How long was the tour, and was it an open air trolley?

Did the trolley make stops so you could get off and see the Anglican Church or was it a drive by. Same with with beach. Was there time to go in the water?

And how often does the trolley and what time did u catch it. Did u get to do ant local shopping? Tyh

We just returned from the Independence last week -- and I have to say concerns about Falmouth were waaaaay overblown.

We got off the boat, ran the gauntlet, and ended up in the town square. Vendors were just setting up, and we bought some fresh fruit from a cart to get Jamaican dollars as change (we consistently got better prices in Local money). Then we made our way to the "bend down" market which is held Wednesday mornings. It is a run-down third world bazar, composed of tarps and corrugated roofing. But I have to say my wife and I were mostly ignored, even as the only Caucasians visible. We're both about 35. One section is devoted to clothes, one to food, and I suppose some others.

The rest of the town is run down, but we had no problem going in and out of many small stores. We had lunch at Club Nazz, but the tastee pattie from next door was a better deal. We sent postcards at the post office, took a tour of the courthouse, and worked our way down the main street.

There were many people trying to make a buck, but in terms of 'aggressive' vendors, my wife and I both felt that the Hatian vendors at Labadee were more aggressive and persistent. You must be able to say no. But they will eventually take 'no' for an answer.

True, there is weed everywhere. It's not "safe," in that I suppose you could offend the wrong person and have everything turn south fast. But that's everywhere. We both agreed that the stop in Falmouth was much, much better than we feared based on these boards. We had no trouble filling out the day off the boat, without an excursion.

How long of a walk was it to the market and where is the restaurant you ate at please. Also what kind of things did you buy?