Cagney's Steak House and Moderno Restaurant

momof02kidz

At the platinum level, I believe that we are entitled to a complimentary dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant. In that case, we'll probably choose Le Bistro or La Cucina. We are not big meat eaters, so Moderno might not be for us.

Please do NOT choose La Cucina - they serve just as good Italian food in the main dining room. You will get more bang for your "complementary" buck at Le Bistro.

But again, food is subjective;)

Please do NOT choose La Cucina - they serve just as good Italian food in the main dining room. You will get more bang for your "complementary" buck at Le Bistro.

But again, food is subjective;)

I found that the Rib Eye in La Cucina was as good or better than Cagneys. Half the price to boot. Next time I am skipping Cagneys and just grabbing a Rib Eye from La Cucina. Its well worth the $15. $30? not so much but still a hair batter then what you will find in a land chain steak place.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Haven't had the steak in La Cucino (the steak in Le Bistro is also as good as anything in Cagney's), but the pasta offerings are run of the mill. I guess if I ever find myself eating there ever again I will get the steak - thanks for the tip!

Folks go to all three and some:

Love it

Like it

See no reason

Never go.

Some say it is well worth it and go twice. Some never do it.

^^ This ^^

Food is so subjective.

My $0.02:

LeBistro is lovely.

Cagney's is a steakhouse, nothing more. Considering that entrees in my favorite steakhouses usually start at more than the cover price for 2 people, I didn't expect nor did I receive a meal that blew me away. DH & I got engaged in Cagney's on the Gem so it has special memories for me but they include having lamb that was so inedible the chef came to our table to apologize. :eek:

I have never been to Moderno because I just can't understand how the cruise line can manage that menu without the requisite open flame.

I'd rather eat Chef-Boy-a-Dee then the stuff they call Italian at La Cucina. I'm sorry but you can't make good Italian food without salt, garlic, oregano & rosemary, none of which appear to be in the kitchen on any NCL ship.

Resturants are tircky in that on any gievn day each person can have thier best or not so great experience. The DH and I love Cagney's and Le Bistro. It is not a hard choice for us to book at least one night in one of them. We received a restaurant gift and chose Moderno. The DH did not care for as much as Cagney's and Le Bistro..I agreed. We looked at it as a new restaurant we tried but will return to the ones we prefer.

^^ This ^^

Food is so subjective.

My $0.02:

LeBistro is lovely.

Cagney's is a steakhouse, nothing more. Considering that entrees in my favorite steakhouses usually start at more than the cover price for 2 people, I didn't expect nor did I receive a meal that blew me away. DH & I got engaged in Cagney's on the Gem so it has special memories for me but they include having lamb that was so inedible the chef came to our table to apologize. :eek:

I have never been to Moderno because I just can't understand how the cruise line can manage that menu without the requisite open flame.

I'd rather eat Chef-Boy-a-Dee then the stuff they call Italian at La Cucina. I'm sorry but you can't make good Italian food without salt, garlic, oregano & rosemary, none of which appear to be in the kitchen on any NCL ship.

We had the Oso Boco in La Cucina last May on the DAWN. One of my favorite meals the entire cruise.

Moderno food is cooked over the infared burners similar to some of the high priced grills coming on the market. I have eaten at a few Brazillian steak houses and Moderno is vey acceptable, the salad bar is a bonus too. Well worth the cover charge.

The only specialty rest. we don't go to once per cruise is the asian one. Don't know why, the menue just never drew us I guess. We did go once and we did enjoy it though.

Le Bistro is my favorite - nearly always order the beef tenderloin and it is as good or better than Cagney's. Pork tenderloin is good too. Their creme brulee is as good as it gets. We were just on the Dawn and one night it was so noisy I thought I was in the garden buffet! Not the quiet intimate dinner it usually is - and was on our second visit.

LaCucina is good - DH always has the chicken parm and it's a huge portion. I had the oso buco once this past week and it gave me serious heartburn! Good value for the money though.

Moderno is OK but not my favorite at all. If it were my choice, I'd skip it.

Cagney's - didn't eat there this time for dinner. We had suite perks and if they can't get breakfast right, I would not want to spend $30pp for a mediocre dinner.

• 1 month later...

Just back from the Epic and had dinner in Cagney's.

3 people had 8 oz Filet and ALL had their filet cooked perfectly and melt in your mouth quality!

I had the grilled shrimp ( 9 nice sized) and very tasty.

It was the only speciality restaurant we ate in but if we ever cruise NCL again we will get the UDP to experience the others.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to agree... pass on Teppanyaki. Way too much garlic in the fried rice... my eyes were burning from the fumes. However, I will say the Green Tea Cake & Ice Cream was superb.

There is such as thing as too much garlic?! No way! ;)

Anybody go to Cagney's or Moderno Restaurant or the French place?? Please let me know if both are worth to pay for and what you recommend.

Thanks!

Yes, there are LOTS of people that think it is worth paying for. And, there are lots of people that do not and eat in the MDR or Buffet or other freebies every night.

Hard to say what dish would be best for you. My wife loves Salmon - I can not stand it. I prefer steak or a white fish or lamb. My SIL loves some mushroom/veggie thing at LeBistro.

If you do a search on any of them, you might come up with a copy of the menu.

I've done le Bistro, good food, La Cucina (we are Italian) so just ok but good value because it is not expensive. Loved Moderno and Cagneys is amazing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2015 Epic

2014 Breakaway

2013 Epic

2012 Gem

2011 Gem

2008 Explorer of the Seas

I'm new to NCL so excuse my basic questions:

Can you in all restaurants order as many dishes as you like?

Do I need to book specialty restaurants prior to boarding?

Thanks! :)

In the specialty restaurants any amount of appetizers but only one entree or there is an extra charge.

If you book the restaurants ahead of time, you have to prepay.

All three are worth it

I would skip Teppanyaki

Sorry folks this is my opinion

I know a lot love it but i hated the whole entire experience including rude patrons and bad food

Agreed....and now, Illusarium if free the first night if you purchase UDP....for me, it's a no brainier! I didn't hate Teppanyaki, but it's low on my list. What I don't understand is why more folks don't eat outside (Getaway)....the warm, gentle breeze and glowing sunsets are a perfect compliment to fine food!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

thank you! In the MDR it's unlimited?

MDR eat and eat. DH and I would each order a entree and then one to share. This was after soup, salad and an appetizer. Portions are smaller so you can order more for variety. There is just a limit to how much you can physically eat. We just like to sample.

Cagneys is always outstanding! Living in Miami, I would say you can get much better Brazilian food here in town. Try it if you haven't had it before, tho....it's decent....not great....we always hit Teppenyaki. And we've never had a bad meal at Le Bistro....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by MiamiSpartan

All 3 are worth the price. I always tread lightly at the salad bar at Moderno because that is a very big meal! The raspberry crème Brule at Cagneys is to die for. And yes the mushroom soup at Le Bistro ( and the fondue) is divine. I go back and forth about which is my favorite restaurant. It's usually the one we went to last.