Cafe Selects Coffee Card - for Diamond Princess

lornev

Hello everyone,

Can anyone advise from RECENT experience about purchasing a Cafe Selects Coffee Card.

This card is advertised on Princess Cruises website under :

'Gifts & Services' > 'Princess Cellars' > 'Café Selects Coffee Card'

Price includes gratuity.

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty

coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee

and premium tea for the duration of your cruise.

Item #524 $31.00

Can this same card be purchased onboard the Diamond Princess and if so does anyone know how much including gratuity it is please?

Thanks

Edited by lornev

On all the other US $ based ships onboard it is $29 + 15% gratuity = $33.35.

I do not know why it would different on the Diamond unless it is not using US $.

Maybe it is cheaper to buy from Princess over the phone before boarding then?

Maybe it is cheaper to buy from Princess over the phone before boarding then?
Most items are the same cost if purchased in advance or on board except for the coffee card and I believe the bucket of beers. It is $2.35 cheaper to buy the coffee card in advance. In the past there was often a coupon for a free mug when purchased on board. That went away and in January of 2013 they we offering a $3.00 credit towards the purchase of the mug. I have no idea if there is still any onboard offer when purchasing the card

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is definitely less expensive to purchase the coffee card ahead of time through Princess.

Earlier this year we purchased eight ahead of time (61 day cruise) and saved a bit of money. Not a lot, but a bit.

When we boarded there were eight vouchers in our cabin which could be exchanged for coffee cards.

BTW, on our last three cruises I have not seen any cards being marked with the voyage number and date nor have I seen crew members checking the back to see if they were valid for the unlimited brewed coffee.

Yes, it is a few dollars cheaper to purchase in advance. I purchased one for my cruise on the Diamond last year, and another for my cruise on the Grand. On neither cruise was a coffee mug offered for free if purchased on board, so I'm tempted to think this gone away. The Diamond has no IC, but specialty coffees are available in two locations.

I just bought the coffee card last Saturday on the Princess Caribbean. No promo for a mug so that is definitely gone. Also, my the back of my card was checked 4/5 times to make sure it was for this cruise. It was the same girl each time so perhaps she was just super vigilant about checking:(:(. Still,a good bargain and on future cruises I will use it to enjoy the wonderful cappuccino they make!

Also, my the back of my card was checked 4/5 times to make sure it was for this cruise. It was the same girl each time so perhaps she was just super vigilant about checking:(:(.

Thanks for that report. While I personally haven't seen it, the fact that you have indicates (to me anyways) that Princess isn't backing off on their policy.

I just bought the coffee card last Saturday on the Princess Caribbean. No promo for a mug so that is definitely gone. Also, my the back of my card was checked 4/5 times to make sure it was for this cruise. It was the same girl each time so perhaps she was just super vigilant about checking:(:(. Still,a good bargain and on future cruises I will use it to enjoy the wonderful cappuccino they make!
In my earlier post I stated that almost two years ago they weren't bundling a free mug but only giving a $3 discount on the mug. By now, even that offer may be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee.

You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise.

The “unlimited” brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service is also syrup based.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, just as with ground coffee.

Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

Edited by Stevesan

I've read that on the Emerald the Coffee Card can be used for gelato and hot chocolate at the International Café. But the Diamond does not have an International Café. Does anyone know if hot chocolate (the good kind, not the instant packet made with hot water) is available with the card on the Diamond?

I have a coffee card from my last Princess cruise in 2011. It has some punches left and looks like a playing card (doesn't have a ship name or anything to designate when/where I got it). Is this still valid for free brewed coffee? I imagine the punches left are still valid for specialty drinks.

I have a coffee card from my last Princess cruise in 2011. It has some punches left and looks like a playing card (doesn't have a ship name or anything to designate when/where I got it). Is this still valid for free brewed coffee? I imagine the punches left are still valid for specialty drinks.

No, not valid for free anything. Brewed coffee as well as specialties will require a punch.

No, not valid for free anything. Brewed coffee as well as specialties will require a punch.

I'm always uncomfortable with "absolute" answers like this. In reality, it depends on the individual taking your order at that moment. We used a very old coffee card on Emerald last March. I would get a fresh coffee every time I used the card for DW's latte. I never had to pay for the coffee as long as there was a specialty coffee punch left.

A better answer would be . . . Don't EXPECT to be able to get free fresh brewed coffee when using an old style card but it might happen.

Good luck & enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm always uncomfortable with "absolute" answers like this. In reality, it depends on the individual taking your order at that moment. We used a very old coffee card on Emerald last March. I would get a fresh coffee every time I used the card for DW's latte. I never had to pay for the coffee as long as there was a specialty coffee punch left.

A better answer would be . . . Don't EXPECT to be able to get free fresh brewed coffee when using an old style card but it might happen.

Good luck & enjoy!

That's just what we experienced on the Coral last August. There was only one server who would punch our old card for a brewed along with the latte,etc. So yes totally up to the person helping you whether you lose a punch on an old card for brewed coffee!!!