PICTURE REVIEW – Quantum of the Seas 2 Day Sampler

Kcjarvis

Summary

If you go on board expecting the same experience you would have on other RCCL ships, you will be disappointed. If you go with an open mind you will be very pleased.

Cabin – The Owner Suite is fantastic with some minor minor minor flaws

There is only one door to balcony in living room. This is a window in not a door in the bedroom

15686771850_3822f4be5c_z.jpg

The light switch is somewhat difficult to operate

15688330507_66119cc0cd_z.jpg

A ton of outlets in the room, No none on the left side of bed

15254440323_7b65a0d27a_z.jpg

I bumped into this pillar 5 times (I was sober)

15848279726_c1a1671394_z.jpg

No garbage can in powder room and not enough flat surfaces near the sinks for toiletries.

15254440303_3831cd78a1_z.jpg

And remember no more slot on the door so we have door hangers, stored in the closet.

15848279696_031c5f28e5_z.jpg

RFID – The Wow bands personally are not for us, but we saw most people wearing them. My sea pass card required 4 or 5 tries to open our door. Slightly annoying

Cruise Director – We didn’t care for Jimmy Rhodes, he seemed smaller than the position. Although I hate to say this because, in the past, I have found him to be annoying, but Ken Rush should have taken Quantum out. He is in a different class.

15686655228_148f3d54ca_z.jpg

Concierge – Reyno & Mario are the best in the fleet. CL bar service is a little slow, but I’m sure it will improve.

Diamond lounge – Surprisingly small, good thing they can overflow into The Music Hall as needed

Dynamic Dining– If you define your cruise based upon your perceived relationship with the person who brings you water, fresh pepper and savory bites, you will be disappointed. If you want an upgraded culinary experience with exponentially more choices than the main dining room, Dynamic Dining is for you. Just like you got used to booking your shows and shore excursions online, you’ll get used to making dinner reservations. The waiters and waitresses in time will adjust to the new ordering tablets. I will say the Windjammer is undersized especially for sea days when people will be sleeping in. The other restaurants stop serving breakfast at 10am. At 10:15am, The Windjammer was a mad house. The fresh baked cookies are deadly!!!!!!!! We didn’t have a bad meal at American Icon and Coastal Kitchen is special. Everyone was raving about Silk. Here is the bottom line – IT'S THE FOOD!!!!!!!

Our suite attendant – Doni was ok – Always greeted us by name and always had a smile on his face. When asked his feelings on QoS, he said the new system was much harder than his other ship (Radiance) and he hated having to program the Wow Bands for 15 cabins.

Bar service – Slow – They may need to adjust staffing levels since the new upgraded drinks take more time to make. They say they had but ran out of guava for my guavarita. (1st world problem)

Room Service – Didn't try it but will post menu

Internet Service – Don’t be fooled by the speed tests (3 mbps symmetrical) - Ob3 is a huge improvement. Of course we did have one of these hidden behind the couch. AIG waiter did complain that the internal wifi was bouncing

15686655298_41a0205d26_z.jpg

15251916574_b36458f013_z.jpg

Skype video, iMessage, Facetime, Slingbox, VPN and Netflix worked great.

Entertainment – Star “Salt” water is incredible. Didn’t see Mamma Mia but heard great things. The comedian was average and we didn’t find him offensive, this is NY after all.

Terminal - Will be better than terminal 18 (FLL) when the new parking lot is finished

Misc – No problems bringing on water or a power strip

Shout outs – Emmy & Rick, Yael and the cabin crawl crew

Rating – The ship is an upgrade in elegance and functionality compared to the rest of the fleet. The attractions that I once though were gimmicky ended up being fantastic. IFly – one of a kind, North Star – outstanding views, Music Hall, Two70 and the Sexplex are great venues, even the stupid bear is amazingly fun. With any new ground breaking product there are things that don’t work as planned. RCCL needs to improve their technology integration, staff training and execution. However, RCCL set out to create a game changer in the cruise industry and in my opinion they have hit the mark. I rate this cruise – 150%

15252022454_2163af12d3_z.jpg

Quantum cruising – This does change everything!!!! Another great vacation, we remain loyal to Royal.

This is Ken Jarvis and I approve this review.

Edited by Kcjarvis
typo

Ken,

We didn´t have a garbage bin in the bathroom either - just a hole :D!

I thought those "do not disturb" doorhangers are a little outdated. They frequently fell off the door handle (especially when the next cabin door opened) and once our neighbors did hang it up again but not with the "make up my cabin" side but the "do not disturb" side - no need to say that our cabin hasn´t been done by 1 pm although we haven´t been in since 8:30 am.:rolleyes:

Ken Rush was onboard for the Southampton pre inaugural.

steamboats

Hey Ken Jarvis - I approve of your review too ! Full of spot on observations and great pix - you rock! Happy Turkey Day to you and Paulette[emoji1]

Hey Mindy - Thank you so much - Happy TG to you also. When is the next cruise? All the best to John

I really like your posts--which give you a clear sense of what it's like boarding a ship and getting settled into some pretty sweet quarters. Hope the robo-bar was working (even) better than during the trans-Atlantic.

Hope, too, our paths cross again soon. Mindy has just booked us an Azmara cruise in January out of Buenos Aires--around the Falklands and past Antarctica to the Cape before heading back to BA. Wanna join us?

Best,

John

...>>>SNIP<<<...

Cruise Director – We didn’t care for Jimmy Rhodes, he seemed smaller than the position. Although I hate to say this because, in the past, I have found him to be annoying, but Ken Rush should have taken Quantum out. He is in a different class.

15686655228_148f3d54ca_z.jpg

...>>>SNIP<<<...

I thought that Ken was on board doing background organizing and admin while Jimmy was in the front of the house. Jimmy is a former dancer and probably has a better stage presence then Ken.

I have to say, the old fashioned "do not disturb" door hangers are really surprising for the so-called "smart ship!" I was just on the Breakaway, a ship reputed to be of only average intelligence, and it had a really cool light system where you flicked switches inside the cabin that lit either a red light (DND) or a green light (make up room). It wasn't just cool but it worked really well and was nice to not have to fumble with cards. I figured The Q would have something similar, or better even, given their genesis in the same shipyard.

LOL, but the rest of the ship looks great! Can't wait to sail Anthem. :D

Edited by Dave85

Thank you so much for the pictures and review!

We are in an OS on Anthem and pix of the OS have been few and far between, so it was great to see them. We're also in a SGS on Quantum with a wrap-around balcony, so I was really happy to see the balcony pix - I was worried about the barrier between the side and wrap-around part blocking the view, and it seems like it will be ok. In the SGS, only the living room doors open, and not the bedroom doors, just like in your OS - I'm kind of bummed about that. First world problems, I know. :D

One question - I know you didn't order room service, but did you notice if the restaurant menus were in your suite, and/or did anyone tell you if you could order from the regular restaurants as a suite guest? We always enjoy ordering from the MDR and eating on our balcony, but since there's no MDR, I wasn't sure how that would be handled.

Normally i wouldn't point out a typo, but this gave me quite a giggle:

the Sexplex are great venues.

:eek:

Thanks again! I enjoyed reading your review, and found it really informative.

I have to say, the old fashioned "do not disturb" door hangers are really surprising for the so-called "smart ship!" I was just on the Breakaway, a ship reputed to be of only average intelligence, and it had a really cool light system where you flicked switches inside the cabin that lit either a red light (DND) or a green light (make up room). It wasn't just cool but it worked really well and was nice to not have to fumble with cards. I figured The Q would have something similar, or better even, given their genesis in the same shipyard.

Dave - I agree 100%. Very surprising

Thank you so much for the pictures and review!

One question - I know you didn't order room service, but did you notice if the restaurant menus were in your suite, and/or did anyone tell you if you could order from the regular restaurants as a suite guest?

HAHAHAH OMG - Thanks for pointing that out, I cant believe I typed that. We had no typical blue suite binder with info and menus, and we never thought about ordering room service from the restaurants, but I did read in one of the other reviews that it is possible.

HAHAHAH OMG - Thanks for pointing that out, I cant believe I typed that. We had no typical blue suite binder with info and menus, and we never thought about ordering room service from the restaurants, but I did read in one of the other reviews that it is possible.

Well, you gave me a much-needed laugh after a stressful day of work, so consider it good karma. :D

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the blue binder will magically appear by January and give me my answer! :) We're traveling with a large group and don't have dinner reservations for every night, so ordering in may be helpful.

That sounds like a really cool indicator system. No bothering with cards in slots and kids disabled from messing with them.

Well, you gave me a much-needed laugh after a stressful day of work, so consider it good karma. :D

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the blue binder will magically appear by January and give me my answer! :) We're traveling with a large group and don't have dinner reservations for every night, so ordering in may be helpful.

Karmacats - Look what I found when I was unpacking

15704447968_82404a6462_o.jpg