Currently on board the 11/23 Quantum sailing

Tyron

@ Georgeny & roe2ship.

I trust when the Athemn and Ovation make their debut the issues will be completely resolved. The ship is so beautiful and so easy to navigate.

I love the connection to the sea. Lots of areas to sit, relax and watch the ocean.

The numerous eateries on board is another major hit.

I plan to try a Caribbean itinerary on the Anthem. :D

Now that is a positive to hear. Many of the recent ships did away with ares that connected directly to the sea. I am glad that the Quantum did not. There is nothing more peaceful than a quiet spot directly open to the scent and feel of the ocean!

Continued thanks for your reporting.

George in NY - Quantum 12/20/14 Holiday sailing

I don't think they have forgotten "meat and potatoes" cruisers like me. Had great beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, lamb shank, turkey and veggies in Grande, Chic, and American Icon. That said I also enjoyed the bumper cars, Northstar, and even gave Ripcord a go. Didn't try the Bionic Bar, but had no problems fining human bar tenders to fill my beverage needs. Celebrated my 74th birthday onboard Quantum and look forward to returning to her in February.

Negc, HAPPY BIRTHDAY at sea sure you had a great one. I know my wife Linda will be doing all those events and more, but hey she's a trophy wife after all at 59. :) Been the trophy wife for 30 plus years now and keeps on ticking. Me I am still feeling the effect of receiving my early issued Medicare card and obviously not dealing with it as well as you Ironman.

I will probably try the bumper cars. That is a legroom problem usually more than anything else. Last time I got into one of those was at an amusement park to challenge one of the grand kids. At 6' 2" 220lbs the fit crippled me for hours ;) The Ripcord maybe for me seems fun enough. Northstar I'll send the camera up with the trophy gal, me and heights not so much. Bartenders will never be replaced by robots in my book. I have been too attached to too many great bartenders in my life.

Live long and prosper! Happy birthday again.

George in NY - Quantum Holiday sailing 12/20/14 ( almost my birthday week ) Maybe find a bartender, lie and celebrate away hahah

Edited by Georgeny

I am not sure it is as much age as attitude and likes. I am a 60 year old "Early Adopter" and very excited about the new technology. I don't think there could be too much tech for me. I like all the gadgets, information access and control the technology provides. I can remember when many complained about cellphones becoming a leash that your boss can always reach you. I looked at them as my freedom that allowed me to be anywhere to do my job including a cruise ship (if I wanted). I am familiar enough with technology to know that I should wait for the bugs to be worked out so I did not book a cruise until she is in action for a couple of months.

There are plenty of old fashion ships in the Royal fleet for the traditionalist (young and old) and by the time the technology reaches these ships it will be accepted.

So this is one "good customer" who is looking forward to the this techie ship.

Mythbuster, we share much and differ much. I would consider myself a 64 year old early adopter. I too love technology, the 5S out the door for the 6 plus because I need apple pay, I want Volte all the time for my cell calls, first computer a build kit by Heathkit, 4 lights flashed about i. Fusion drives, heck how about no drive, a cassette player, tape and card. That said it's the way technology is deployed that concerns me. Smart technology, there is really no such thing, AI is still a dream, and technical drives are simply programmable dumb machines still. But that is for another day.

The deployment issue I usually have in many areas is that basis is cost saving not betterment of experience. Getting job minimally done with lowest staff utilization. The tablet embarkation system is not so much to make my experience better as to eliminate the need for land based staff. Just as printing my own documents and luggage tags was money savings not really to make my experience better or easier.

Anytime dining and now Dynamic Dining is not so much to improve my experience as to reduce dining room staffing requirements. Do more with less, charge more for less, this is how you sell tech to companies.

You and I may be boomers with tech savvy but I bet you spend a lot of time fixing and explaining tech to your friends who are not. We are a large group, older that like tech ( tech allowed me to retire at 40 I really do not hate it ) but still the minority in out age frame.

Tech has killed custom service too. Ever try to get a retailer on the phone and then to correct an obvious mistake? " But sir the computer doesn't allow me to do that! " " But sir the computer says you didn't pay, why would I want to see your cancelled check, what is a cancelled check anyway sir. The computer would know if you paid sir! "

You really want to work while on a cruise ship? I think you were next to me in the solarium pool on the Explorer in October? I was relaxing trying to read and you were screaming sales numbers at someone on your cellphone? They had to call a code Alpha for you. You know what I am saying...

Everyone calling these tablets iPads, I think they are MSFT equipment does anyone know. Everyone calls every tablet an ipad now.

George in NY

Edited by Georgeny

Everyone calling these tablets iPads, I think they are MSFT equipment does anyone know.

It's a mix. At GS they are iPad minis - the waiters use a Win 8 tablet (I assume the same one that Richard Fain announced at the Quantum technology reveal every RCI employee will get).

It's a mix. At GS they are iPad minis - the waiters use a Win 8 tablet (I assume the same one that Richard Fain announced at the Quantum technology reveal every RCI employee will get).

Biker thanks very interesting. OS and Win are distinctly different, surprised they mix the technology? I will look forward to seeing it all up close and personal.

George in NY

Nice pictures Tyron....the Xmas tree looks great!:)

I'm curious if you have received any special gifts for being on the inaugural cruise.

As of today, not much.... :rolleyes::eek:

A baseball cap last night and TWO nights ago...the standard RC water bottle. LOL. A huge contrast what we received during the Oasis inaugural.

I am not sure it is as much age as attitude and likes. I am a 60 year old "Early Adopter" and very excited about the new technology. I don't think there could be too much tech for me. I like all the gadgets, information access and control the technology provides. I can remember when many complained about cellphones becoming a leash that your boss can always reach you. I looked at them as my freedom that allowed me to be anywhere to do my job including a cruise ship (if I wanted). I am familiar enough with technology to know that I should wait for the bugs to be worked out so I did not book a cruise until she is in action for a couple of months.

There are plenty of old fashion ships in the Royal fleet for the traditionalist (young and old) and by the time the technology reaches these ships it will be accepted.

So this is one "good customer" who is looking forward to the this techie ship.

Like your comments!

We were on Quantum for 5 days recently, and we are not "millenials" by any chance. Yes, there were "Bugs" to be worked out, but we are looking forward to a longer cruise onboard Quantum in February, and trust those bugs will have been fixed.

Both of us are "old":D but we enjoyed Quantum. I had reservations about things like DD, but waited to see how it was working. We are very much traditionalists, having been cruising since 1980, and learned not to comment on things until we had experienced them during the My Time Dining introduction. We had always had late seating, same wait staff, and loved it, and were sure we were not going to like MTD when it was introduced. We tried it once, and have never gone back to traditional! Also, DD worked just fine for us, dined at Chic, American Icon Grille, Grande (twice) and Coastal Kitchen, and never waited for a table and never spent more than 60-90 minutes at dinner,

Us "old" people tried the bumper cars, I Fly,and North Star but it was too cold for the Flowrider:D

Glad to see there are other "old" folks out there who can appreciate and embrace "change". Plenty of ships for everyone:)

Edited by billsgal

...The deployment issue I usually have in many areas is that basis is cost saving not betterment of experience. Getting job minimally done with lowest staff utilization. The tablet embarkation system is not so much to make my experience better as to eliminate the need for land based staff. Just as printing my own documents and luggage tags was money savings not really to make my experience better or easier.

Anytime dining and now Dynamic Dining is not so much to improve my experience as to reduce dining room staffing requirements. Do more with less, charge more for less, this is how you sell tech to companies.

You and I may be boomers with tech savvy but I bet you spend a lot of time fixing and explaining tech to your friends who are not. We are a large group, older that like tech ( tech allowed me to retire at 40 I really do not hate it ) but still the minority in out age frame.

Tech has killed custom service too. Ever try to get a retailer on the phone and then to correct an obvious mistake? " But sir the computer doesn't allow me to do that! " " But sir the computer says you didn't pay, why would I want to see your cancelled check, what is a cancelled check anyway sir. The computer would know if you paid sir! "

You really want to work while on a cruise ship? I think you were next to me in the solarium pool on the Explorer in October? I was relaxing trying to read and you were screaming sales numbers at someone on your cellphone? They had to call a code Alpha for you. You know what I am saying...

Everyone calling these tablets iPads, I think they are MSFT equipment does anyone know. Everyone calls every tablet an ipad now.

George in NY

George,

We do have similarities but differ on our perception of technology. I see MOST of the changes as improvements to my experience and if they save Royal money we both win. If they can have a process that gets me from curb to ship in 10 minutes then that is an improvement for me. If I can choose from 5 different themed (free) restaurants instead of going to the same table in the same location with the same menus in the MDR then I see an improvement. if I can track my luggage until it arrives at my door that gives me a peace of mind, if I can review my calendar of events or make reservations on an app vs standing in lines then that is an improvement for me.

You did nail one thing, and that is I am constantly fixing or advising friends and family on technology but of my advice goes to all ages including my GenX children or millennial nieces and nephews.

You did misunderstand one of my comments. I am happy I have the flexibility to stay in contact with my work. However, I do not want to and fortunately have never had to conducted one minute of work on a ship. I am self employed so I don't get real "vacation" time. Therefore, if an emergency (something that could cost me a lot of money) came up in my business, knowing I can handle it quickly and immediatley is a tremendous peace of mind. The alternative for me is to either take short cruises or stay on land until I retire and I so love the sea and 12 days cruises! I promise if I ever have to conduct a little work on a ship, I will go to my cabin and not bother others at the pool;)

I love the connection to the sea. Lots of areas to sit, relax and watch the ocean.

The numerous eateries on board is another major hit.

:D

I agree Tyron. I think the way they have included more places to enjoy the ocean even while inside is wonderful. It definedtly made me feel more connected to the ocean and was especially important as my sailing was 2 days of cold weather.

The end of a wonderful (not perfect) cruise on board the beautiful Quantum of the Seas.

Today is our last sea day before docking in Bayonne tomorrow morning.

This cruise had a few issues that did NOT affect my overall cruise experience. What I've learned thru experiencing a blood clot that almost took my life is to live life to the fullest extent. Enjoy every aspect while you can.

It amazes me how people keep focusing on negativity and allowing minor issues to ruin their vacations. If the elevators are slow...take the stairs (if you can) to help burn off some of those calories. LOL

The ship is simply amazing and RC did a great job but will definitely have to resolve those pesky ongoing tech issues.

Other than that the shows have been phenomenal, food has been good in most places I've eaten, passenger flow has been great and the majority of the staff/crew are doing a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

is to live life to the fullest extent. Enjoy every aspect while you can.

Happiness is a choice,

Book a holiday then go on with a negative attitude, you wont enjoy it,

do what you did and go onboard with little to no attitude about things, you'll enjoy it more.

Some of those complaining are only complaining because others have!

you are absolutely right! Life is way too short for BS!

I hope everyone that books this ship will enjoy it as much as I have. It's really an awesome ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You took the words right out of my mouth ! We thoroughly enjoyed the beauty and novelty of Quantum, but are happy there's a variety of ships and styles in the RCCL fleet - keeps it more interesting for us. Here's to the good life and lots more cruising!

Now that all of you have returned, can you let us know how did the internet work on this route? I leave on Dec 20.

Service was spotty and no where near as fast as Richard Fain claimed. :rolleyes:

As a boomer I sympathize with genXer's since they are really ignored more than us and millenials they claim.

That is why us GenXer's are also referred to as the 'Lost Generation' - technically we 'X-generation' babies were born between '65 and '77, and are a substantially smaller population and thereby, market segment than the generation before us or after us.

Like someone said, I am sure Quantum will be a great ship and an experience to thoroughly enjoy once they get the kinks worked out. Sailing in February 2015 and yes, it was extremely hard not to book sooner as I, for one, am totally excited about sailing the newest ship in the RCCL fleet... and then Anthem next December! :)

Edited by SnappyNappi

The end of a wonderful (not perfect) cruise on board the beautiful Quantum of the Seas.

Today is our last sea day before docking in Bayonne tomorrow morning.

Tyron thanks for the report. Glad that you have enjoyed yourself. Sounds like you have the right attitude. I think everyone needs to give this ship time to work out the kinks. New design and ship can lead to some opportunities. Every photo that I have seen shows a beautiful ship which does not surprise me since it is an RCCL designed ship.

Service was spotty and no where near as fast as Richard Fain claimed. :rolleyes:

Tyron, yes...internet quality was underwhelming. There were many times I couldn't even get a connection. The first day, or so, the speed was amazing (I had the mid-level tier of speed). We met 2 of the satellite internet service provider contractors at the 270 bar one night. They said that the speed of satellite internet they are providing is 100% working, and that it is the internal routers and systems on Quantum that are slowing things down and need to be tweaked. Hopefully they can figure that out soon.