Quantum's First Port of Call

This morning Quantum sailed into Port Canaveral in the wee hours. You can see her on the PC webcam as she is the only ship in port. Ironically, it looks like she is in the berth normally reserved for the Carnival ships and not the one they normally use for Freedom or the new one just for RCCL. Thoughts?

cqH097OvTeU1fzPXpfC0790TMn7zd+f8DXZ8b7yLOS2oAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

This morning Quantum sailed into Port Canaveral in the wee hours. You can see her on the PC webcam as she is the only ship in port. Ironically, it looks like she is in the berth normally reserved for the Carnival ships and not the one they normally use for Freedom or the new one just for RCCL. Thoughts?

If you look at the webcam showing the dredging going on at the new terminal, you can see why they docked elsewhere.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=873D8514-F022-46B4-94F1-2FDB6070F759&width=&height

DARN!!! Knew I was supposed to do something this morning, watch her sail in :( Got involved in watching the snow fall and had to run out get gas early forgot. Watching now though. looks like they are testing all the lifeboats starboard side. Must have to train a lot of new crew in handling etc and qualify crew members etc.

Sadly looks like not to nice a day for the first real deal cruise first port. Still don't see any snow there like I do when I look out MY window.

George in NY - Quantum 12/20/14 Holiday cruise

If you look at the webcam showing the dredging going on at the new terminal, you can see why they docked elsewhere.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=873D8514-F022-46B4-94F1-2FDB6070F759&width=&height

Thank you for that webcam link, didn't have that one.

George in NY - Quantum 12/20/14 Holiday Cruise

I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to stop at Port Canaveral. I can see leaving from there, but not stopping there. Especially at such a premium price.

Aft Cabins Rule

I honestly don't think anyone really wants to stop at Port Canaveral, but if you want to sail Quantum, you may be forced to stop there. ;)

That is why my wife and I didn't book this first five day cruise on Quantum and decided to book the one leaving next Monday. We do not care at all for the Bahamas and didn't want to waste money on a trip with destinations which weren't appealing.

That is why my wife and I didn't book this first five day cruise on Quantum and decided to book the one leaving next Monday. We do not care at all for the Bahamas and didn't want to waste money on a trip with destinations which weren't appealing.

It's an 8 night. :)

I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to stop at Port Canaveral. I can see leaving from there, but not stopping there. Especially at such a premium price.

Aft Cabins Rule

If you're doing a 7 night (NCL Breakaway) or 8 night (Quantum) out of the NYC area you basically have no choice. We stopped there a couple of weeks ago on Breakaway and just treated it as a sea day, as we do Nassau on the Oasis/Allure Eastern runs. We had a nice relaxing day on the ship with minimal crowds :). If I were on the 8 night Quantum itinerary I would do the exact same thing.

I think they can get a little further south on an 8 night cruise for a better itinerary, but I just don't think they want to burn the fuel / spend the money. I remember in the past (we're talking 8-10 years ago) doing a much better 8-night itinerary out of NYC on a Carnival Spirit class ship, which are pretty fast ships. Not sure if Quantum could plausibly do the same, even if they wanted to burn the fuel.

Edited by Dave85

The real problem with stopping at Port Canaveral this time of year is that it could be in the 40s for a high. I suppose that's why it's a warm weather ship. I got off a Christmas cruise on Freedom 2 years ago. It was in the low 40's, cloudy and very windy. I would much prefer to fly to Florida and sail to ports further south. It's probably cheaper too, even figuring in airfare, when you compare it to the prices of Quantum's itineraries.

Aft Cabins Rule