Celebrity Business Practices Getting Annoying

RDC1

We also need to book early because we need an accessible cabin, but I agree so far we have never seen our price, for the grade booked, bettered later on.

However I do agree with one gripe from the op, I can't see why when everyone now has auto gratuities, that only select dining has to pre-pay.

John,

I know if you take select dining option you have to pre-pay your gratuities upfront where as if you pick traditional dining the gratuities are charged to your account on a daily basis. So maybe it is Celebrities way of making more $'s by using your money upfront by forcing you to take select dining (which if you are a stock holder that would not be a bad thing) Only IMHO!

Let's see: They sold out and therefore it's an annoying business practice. People paid in advance to get what they wanted and this is an annoying business practice? There appears to be a high demand for their product and they are reacting accordingly. As I stock holder I would think that they would be acting irresponsibly if they didn't attempt to maximize profits and that would be annoying to me.

I think what OP is referring to is that it seems very odd that so far in advance a particular seating time would be unavailable, not that the cruise is sold out. I tend to agree with him. Call me skeptical, but I get the feeling that this is a veiled attempt to "encourage" one to reserve for-fee restaurants. (and it's not just Celebrity, it's happening across the industry)

According to at least 3 Restaurant Managers, it's because diners in Select go from table to table and waiter to waiter and did not tip, or gave small tips to servers. The pre paid tips are now divided among the servers. quote]

There is a basic falicy in that thinking. The Select diner who "does not tip" is not going anywhere. He is still on the ship and has in most cases, an open acount attached to his credit card. There is no problem whatsoever in charging the Select diner daily for his tips just like the traditional diner.

The passenger who selects traditional and then eats every meal at the buffet is also "going from table to table" and he is paying his tips on account and not upfront.

The cruise lines do it because they can get away with it and it must give them some extra cash float. There is no operational or being "fair to the crew" reason for it. Everyone can be charged at the end of the cruise.

It's odd to me that select diners are more willing to pull their auto tips. First, what a hassle and no matter how mediocre the service, What an embarrassing interaction.
I fully agree and don't believe select diners are more likely to stiff the staff. More likely the reason

was that when non-fixed dining was introduced, the cruise lines were afraid to apply this to the

existing option . They were probably right to be nervous given the way people complain. :D

I don't agree with that, we were on the Equinox last February with select dining and on the first night we were told that we would not be able to have a table between 7 and 8:30 for the whole duration of the cruise.

For us select dining only meant we could decide at what time we would get in line for a table.

Problem solve for our upcoming cruise we're going to cruise Aqua Class and try Blue.

Josée

Boy do I have bad news for you . We were Aqua Class on our last Celebrity cruise

and we waited every single night!. Yes we came at the peak times but we waited each

and every night. We had the drink package so the wait (20 - 45 minutes) wasn't so bad.

Good luck on not waiting but don't get your hopes too high

Mary Lou, guess what, I tried to cancel an excursion that I had booked

and they said I could not do it......I ended up going and having a good

time but when I tried to cancel I was they would not do it. This was

on Reflection last month.

Sorry if I'm passing on bad information. We were told this is the new policy on our Millennium Alaska cruise in July and did cancel an excursion the morning of. Maybe it is ship or itinerary specific.

Mary Lou

Sorry if I'm passing on bad information. We were told this is the new policy on our Millennium Alaska cruise in July and did cancel an excursion the morning of. Maybe it is ship or itinerary specific.

Mary Lou

Hi:)...I read about the policy before I went on my cruise and I was

surprised at the answer I was given. So maybe it does vary, ship

to ship.

I tried to cancel the day before.......they said nope.