Led Astray by Lottie A

nordski

Lottie,

That takes me back a while, visiting a local farm near Llanddulas with my grandparents to buy eggs, the children there didn't lean to speak English until they went to school.

I have added loads of tips below I sure you will know most of them but here goes anyway.

Anything by Clive Cussler with or without his son or other cowriters.

PS I Love You by Cecelia Ahern its a real tear jerker, as usual the book is so much better than the film.

Then the following authors are usually good to go.

Maeve Binchy, Nora Roberts,Lee Child,Michael Connelly,Lisa Jackson,Robert Goddard,Karin Slaughter,James Grippando,Wilbur Smith,David Baldacci,Sophie Kinsella, Erica James and of course Dan Brown.

That will give you adventure, thriller,romance and detective books and could keep you busy for a while.

Rosalyn

I just finished reading Kathy Brandt's "Hannah Sampson" books--Swimming with the Dead, Dark water dive, Dangerous depths and Under Pressure. All take place in the British Virgin Islands. Good reads, great for summer or cruises. Available on Amazon, I believe. She's a neighbor & friend, just got around to reading them, we take care of each others' cats.

Although the title of this thread was, at initiation, perhaps appropriate, as the OP can I request a change to illustrate how this topic has evolved?

Perhaps "Lottie A's Cruising Book Club" That might make the subject clearer and garner new suggestions.

Is that possible Host Andy? Thanks for considering this suggestion.

• 2 months later...

Just read the current Montalbano book in English (Game of Mirrors). While we wait for the next installation to be published on Sept. 1, I wanted to share Salvo's menu for the week that this book spans:

Day 1

lunch: a variety of antipasti, spaghetti in squid ink, a sampling of pasta in clam sauce, and a main course of striped surmullet (actually two generous helpings)

dinner: a dish of pasta ‘ncasciata and a huge serving of eggplant parmesan

Day 2:

lunch (light, big dinner coming up): skipped antipasto and only ate one serving of the main course

dinner: arancini rice balls (“for a normal person, two arancini would have constituted an already dangerous amount for dinner. Montalbano wolfed down four and a half”) and cannoli

Day 3:

lunch: double serving of seafood antipasto

dinner: leftover arancini (Montalbano ate three)

Day 4:

lunch: worried, ate listlessly

dinner: antipasti, pasta in salmon sauce, sliced beef in a hot sauce (dinner interrupted by amorous interlude)

Day 5:

lunch: ate without conviction while thinking about case

dinner: sartù di riso alla calabrisa [sicilian variation on Neapolitan pasta al forno, except that it uses rice instead of pasta; it features a great variety of ingredients including pork, beef, peas, meatballs, eggs, sopressata, tomato sauce, provolone, pecorino, bread crumbs, onions, and so on; when it is finished it is removed from the casserole and looks rather like a large cake of rice) and swordfish involtini

Day 6:

[a whole day with no mention of eating!]

Day 7:

lunch: made up for it, ordering “everything you’ve got” and needed a long walk along the jetty for digestion

dinner: big platter of eggplant parmesan

Day 8:

lunch: need to keep it light, so no antipasti, just a dish of pasta alla carrettiera [a simple dish of pasta with a spicy tomato sauce containing a great deal of garlic, hot pepper and parsley] and a second course

dinner: casserole of pasta ‘ncasciata and a nice platter of fried shrimp and calamari

Except for Day 6, it sounds just like a cruise! :D

Hi Host Jazzbeau,

I really enjoyed Game of Mirrors and can't wait for the next book.

I think Salvo was feeling emotionally confused during that week.....he doesn't seem to have eaten very much at all really! :D

Been away for the weekend but I have recorded Young Montalbano which is showing on BBC 4 on Saturday nights. It's good, but not as good as the original Inspector Montalbano series. Luca Zingaretti IS Salvo!

Does anyone have some more book recommendations please? We have to wait a few weeks for the next Montalbano one.

I have been enjoying the Joe Sandilands series by Barbara Cleverly. They are set in India during the time of the British Raj and are quite entertaining.

Thanks for the reminder that I had a Montalbano novel waiting.

After reading "The Long Narrow Road to the Deep North" (man's inhumanity to man), "No Better Friend" (man's love of and inhumanity to dogs), and "The Rival Queens" (a mother's inhumanity to her daughter), all of which are grounded in historical events, it will be a delight to read about Salvo's rather more prosaic ongoing encounter with his appetites.

Don't know if it's appropriate in this thread, but this list of movies was posted on the Azamara website and their Twitter feed.

We've seen most of them, and agree that often the locale is the real star.

Except for one! While Lottie A is enthralled by the actor who plays Salvo on the BBC, who can deny that Penelope Cruz eclipses even Barcelona?

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/12-films-travel-lovers/