Led Astray by Lottie A

nordski

Great thread!

I loved reading Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone when cruising from New York up to Quebec. The scene when the protagonist comes eye to eye with a beached whale at Cape Cod still stays with me.

Two other favourites are:

Victoria Hislop's The Island (about Spinalonga, the leper colony off Crete)

Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind (set around the Cemetery of Forgotten Books in Barcelona).

Keep suggesting please..

Lynne :)

Great thread!

I loved reading Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone when cruising from New York up to Quebec. The scene when the protagonist comes eye to eye with a beached whale at Cape Cod still stays with me.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind (set around the Cemetery of Forgotten Books in Barcelona).

Keep suggesting please..

Lynne,

The Island is one of my all time favourites which I return to occasionally and it always makes me cry.

Another wonderful read is Labyrinth by Kate Mosse which I read shortly before my first visit to Carcassonne, one of my favourite spots in France

I can certainly say that Lottie is very good at leading people astray. The title of this thread made me laugh. I well remember those trivia games on Oceania Marina a few years ago and the amount of Lemon Drop Martini's we consumed.

We still managed to win most of the trivia though even though we were never totally sober. :D

Another Lottie recommendation is Here Come The Girls by Milly Johnson. It's light reading and probably a chick lit book but it's a lot of fun and based on a cruise ship. You will see a lot of familiar cruising characters trust me. Is great to have a book club type thread here and I'm going to be putting some of these books on my wish list.

Lottie, we hope you are having a great time the USA with your guy and Matt and I hope to cruise with you again very soon. We have booked a journey cruise next September and are looking at Seabourn for May but I have a feeling we may be a bit on the young side for Seabourn.

Great thread!

Keep suggesting please..

Two excellent books, I loved them both :)

As followers of this forum know, Lottie A is a sophisticated and knowledgable source on this forum concerning cruising in general, and Azamara in particular.

Thus I was intrigued when she mentioned a series of novels set in a certain port, on a certain island in the Mediterranean, and concerning a certain Police Inspector. Having been to that port on Azamara, and with time on my hands having been recently consigned to a period in dry-dock, I downloaded the first in that series. Now, several months and seven books later, I realize I am seriously addicted. This is costly and distracting. Costly not only in terms of the novels purchased, but I now want to return to that certain port to undertake a tour of that setting. Distracting in that I find myself, in the midst of more serious reading (presently a history of the Plantagenets), wondering "What will Police Inspector S**** be up to?" in the next in the series.

I want to thank Lottie A for her suggestion since it's opened a door to some serious enjoyment. On the other hand I've attempted to draw a veil over her recommendation lest others be as weak as I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonderful thread idea, Nordski. We booked our first Azamara cruise (October 2013) because of its unique itinerary of four stops in Sicily. I just reserved the first book in the Inspector SM (:)) series from my local library.

Edited by CintiPam

Wonderful thread idea, Nordski. We booked our first Azamara cruise (October 2013) because of its unique itinerary of four stops in Sicily. I just reserved the first book in the Inspector SM (:)) series from my local library.

Thanks for the positive comment.

We were on that same cruise and, if memory serves, you organized an interesting and highly successful M&G on the initial night. We met a very good "cruise buddy" during that event

In retrospect, that was probably the best itinerary we've experienced. We love Sicily and I hope the Inspector SM series immerses you in an aspect of its culture. I do think the series strengthens especially in the later books.

As mentioned on this thread, the Louise Penny "Inspector Gamache" series is also addictive partly because of its evocation of the culture of Quebec. Unfortunately, it seems few cruises port in Montreal and I don't know if those that do offer an excursion to the Eastern Townships, the primary locale of the stories. However, as pointed out earlier, one of the novels is set In Quebec City, although at the time of "Carnaval".

Manoir Hovey, in the Townships, has become a bit of a destination for Penny's fans, us included.

We were on that same cruise and, if memory serves, you organized an interesting and highly successful M&G on the initial night. We met a very good "cruise buddy" during that event

In retrospect, that was probably the best itinerary we've experienced. We love Sicily and I hope the Inspector SM series immerses you in an aspect of its culture. I do think the series strengthens especially in the later books.

"Cruise buddy" checking in. Do any of these detectives spend any time shopping? ;)

"Cruise buddy" checking in. Do any of these detectives spend any time shopping? ;)

Well, if "shopping" broadly includes the search for fine food then Salvo Montalbano's your man.

But in two of Louise Penny's books, "The Brutal Telling" and "Bury Your Dead", there is a plot line that contains a cautionary tale about a lust for possessions.

However, perhaps paradoxically, Penny does describe her characters taste, or lack of it, in good fashion. In fact she uses clothing to reveal character.

Fortunately, for me in particular, you weren't applying that criteria when we met on the Quest.[emoji1]

For those cruisers visiting Quebec City "Bury Your Dead" is the title to read.

Fabulous, Apart from the drama in Inspector Montalbano, I love the comedy especially the character of Catarella (I think that is his name, crazy windmill arm movements, AndreaRusso is the actor). I will now start to read the books!

Fabulous, Apart from the drama in Inspector Montalbano, I love the comedy especially the character of Catarella (I think that is his name, crazy windmill arm movements, AndreaRusso is the actor). I will now start to read the books!

Do you like him personally in person?

However, perhaps paradoxically, Penny does describe her characters taste, or lack of it, in good fashion. In fact she uses clothing to reveal character.

Fortunately, for me in particular, you weren't applying that criteria when we met on the Quest.[emoji1]

Come now, the Tilley hat speaks volumes about your character. :)

I want to go to Istanbul, and Turkey more generally...inspired by Barbara Nadel's books with the detective Cetin Ikmen. Best read in order starting wit Belshazzar's daughter.

She also has a series with undertaker Francis Hancock in the East End of London during WW2, and I think a new series of detectives in London i haven't yet read.

There is also a series of books about a lugubrious detective in Florence but I can't remeber his name.

Cheers,

Sue

I wonder if the Florentine detective is Michele Ferrara, from the books by Michele Guittari? I have read them all. Like the other people on the thread, I love to read some fiction about the places I'm visiting when I travel. A certain cruise line actually has a recommended reading list for the cruises it offers, I often check out similar itineraries of theirs for suggestions.

This is a great thread, I love to have other peoples book recommendations.

G:)

I wonder if the Florentine detective is Michele Ferrara, from the books by Michele Guittari? I have read them all. Like the other people on the thread, I love to read some fiction about the places I'm visiting when I travel. A certain cruise line actually has a recommended reading list for the cruises it offers, I often check out similar itineraries of theirs for suggestions.

This is a great thread, I love to have other peoples book recommendations.

G:)

Yes that's the Florentine one!

It's great to be able to share our favourites that give a taste of a pace...or of a person!

You have a good memory! I certainly remember your "cruise buddy" hrhdhd but you must have been travellling incognito (or is it more likely that you were travelling undercover? :)) because you are not on my M&G list for that cruise.

The first Inspector SM book arrived at my house (from the local library) yesterday. Perhaps reading about sunny warm weather will convince me that it is not gray, damp and cold here this month.

Edited by CintiPam

You have a good memory! I certainly remember your "cruise buddy" hrhdhd but you must have been travellling incognito (or is it more likely that you were travelling undercover? :)) because you are not on my M&G list for that cruise.

The first Inspector SM book arrived at my house (from the local library) yesterday. Perhaps reading about sunny warm weather will convince me that it is not gray, damp and cold here this month.

I'm often conflicted as to whether to sign up for the M&G since my wife must eat at regular intervals and thus I leave early to join her in the MDR. I don't want my departure to seem rude so I try try to be as discreet as possible.

I believe you are on the Aug. 2016 Norway cruise and, if our plans work out, we will also be on that sailing. Perhaps we can convince hrhdhd that the lengthy daylight hours are a golden opportunity for extended shopping and a reunion can occur [emoji1]

In the spirit of this thread, this article from The Independent may suggest some detective fiction relevant to that upcoming

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/new-stars-of-nordic-noir-norways-authors-discuss-their-countrys-crime-wave-2308559.html

I love Salvo Montalbano! I can't wait for the next book in the series, which will be published in the US in English in April 2015. There are two other books that have not yet been translated (I don't know Italian well enough to read whole books and some of the characters, like Catarella, "speak" in Sicilian in the books so that would be difficult or impossible to understand). The author already wrote the last book in the series in case he dies or becomes incapacitated. It's in a vault waiting, just in case. So we'll have at least four more Montalbano books to enjoy in the near future.

Thank you everyone for the book suggestions. I purchased several with the Kindle App for our Singapore to Hong Kong cruise on the Quest next week. Only six more days (and super long flights before boarding)!

For those who cruise through the Suez Canal (which one of the Azamara ships does twice a year), I recommend Michael Ondaatje's The Cats Table. He's the one who wrote The English Patient. The Cat's Table is about the colorful misfits who are seated in the table furthest away from the Captain's Table on a Colombo to Southampton voyage in the 1950s. It starts a bit slow, but then you get engrossed in the life on the ship. You'll want to sneak into one of the tenders to hang out, although that would freak out the folks in the obstructed view cabins on deck 6! I read the book during a Mumbai to Chennai cruise on the Journey, and it added to our visit to Colombo. Ondaatje's Anil's Ghost and Running in the Family are set in Sri Lanka. I enjoyed them, but The Cat's Table is perfect reading for a cruise through the Suez.

Boris Akunin's Murder on the Leviathan is set on a Southampton to Calcutta voyage. Akunin tried to emulate Agatha Christie's style in the book. For that reason, it's not one of my favorites of his fantastic Erast Fandorin mystery series. The Fandorin books are set in czarist Russia, mostly in Moscow, and are good reads.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick request.

I followed spw1947's suggestion, and have been dipping into Barbara Nadel's series set in Istanbul.

Does anyone have further suggestions about books that evoke the cultural and physical setting of that crossroads city?

Thanks.

Here I am Nordski.....leading you astray yet again! :)

I have just started reading the Kamil Pasha series of books by Jenny White. He is an Ottoman magistrate and orchid grower and the books are set in 19th century Istanbul. I have finished the first book in the series, called The Sultan's Seal and have just started the second book, The Abyssinian Proof. They are very atmospheric and I'm enjoying them and learning more about the fascinating history of the Ottoman Empire too.

He isn't Salvo Montalbano......:D.....but they are a good read. Hope you like them.

I have just started reading the Kamil Pasha series of books by Jenny White. He is an Ottoman magistrate and orchid grower and the books are set in 19th century Istanbul. I have finished the first book in the series, called The Sultan's Seal and have just started the second book, The Abyssinian Proof. They are very atmospheric and I'm enjoying them and learning more about the fascinating history of the Ottoman Empire too.

He isn't Salvo Montalbano......:D.....but they are a good read. Hope you like them.

Thanks so much!

That sounds like a wonderful suggestion.

I've just finished reading Eugene Rogan's new history, The Fall of the Ottomans, The Great War in the Middle East. This was an excellent background for our recent visit to Gallipoli and Istanbul.

Now I will look download The Sultan's Seal. I can only hope that this venture does not prove as costly in time and money as the Montalbano series. Not to mention the expense of returning to Sicily to visit his locale :).

Much appreciated.

This isn't a series set in Istanbul, but one book of a delightful series:

Tasha Alexander, Tears of Pearl

http://www.amazon.com/Tears-Pearl-Novel-Suspense-Mysteries/dp/0312383800/ref=la_B001H9XR12_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432254170&sr=1-8

It's the fourth in the Lady Emily series, and because there's quite a backstory with the heroine you should really start with the first book, And Only To Deceive

http://www.amazon.com/Only-Deceive-Lady-Emily/dp/006114844X/ref=la_B001H9XR12_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432254170&sr=1-3

• 2 weeks later...

Once again you've provided a wonderful distraction.

I've now read The Sultan's Seal and, although I was a little worried at first that Jenny Whites's style was going to be a little florid for my tastes, that fear was unfounded. Ms White has some serious academic credentials and they serve her well in creating the atmosphere of Istanbul and the Ottoman Empire as it approached its most severe challenges at the end of the Nineteenth Century. The mystery at the centre of the story was intriguing as well.

Of course, Kamil is far too ascetic and logical to ever match the charisma of Salvo. For example, in one passage of the novel she writes that Kamil " ...toys with his fried mullet...." Not a likely phrase to encounter in the Sicilian's life.

Thanks for the recommendation, and it will certainly help me see Istanbul in a more nuanced light.

Once again you've provided a wonderful distraction.

I've now read The Sultan's Seal and, although I was a little worried at first that Jenny Whites's style was going to be a little florid for my tastes, that fear was unfounded. Ms White has some serious academic credentials and they serve her well in creating the atmosphere of Istanbul and the Ottoman Empire as it approached its most severe challenges at the end of the Nineteenth Century. The mystery at the centre of the story was intriguing as well.

Of course, Kamil is far too ascetic and logical to ever match the charisma of Salvo. For example, in one passage of the novel she writes that Kamil " ...toys with his fried mullet...." Not a likely phrase to encounter in the Sicilian's life.

Thanks for the recommendation, and it will certainly help me see Istanbul in a more nuanced light.

Nordski, I'm so glad you like Kamil Pasha. I have now finished the next book in the series, The Abyssinian Proof. It has some scenes that are not for the faint hearted and I probably didn't find it as readable as The Sultan's Seal but nevertheless, it took me straight back to the magic of the fascinating city of Istanbul. I am about a third of the way through the third book The Winter Thief and I am enjoying it a lot. Again some disturbing scenes, but Kamil is a great character and I'm beginning to get very fond of him. Not in the "head over heels" way of Salvo of course, but Kamil is a very honourable and interesting character.

Loved the "toying with the mullet" phrase. Salvo would be wolfing it down....no toying with his food for Montalbano...or anything else for that matter. :)

Has anyone else any reading suggestions ....I need some new books to enjoy for my HAL cruise in a couple of weeks.

Lottie/all,

After graduating from books (an average of ten for a two week cruise) and then onto audio books during daytime on deck and travelling anywhere with another book going on for bedtime reading (usually from the Library Oceania and Azamara) with an e reader as backup. I must say I think I have got the art of cruise/travel and reading pretty well sorted, but sometimes you are just not sure of the next book to take with you. Here is one of my favourites The Cashmere Shawl by Rosie Thomas, set in India and England.

have a good read Rosalyn

Lottie/all,

After graduating from books (an average of ten for a two week cruise) and then onto audio books during daytime on deck and travelling anywhere with another book going on for bedtime reading (usually from the Library Oceania and Azamara) with an e reader as backup. I must say I think I have got the art of cruise/travel and reading pretty well sorted, but sometimes you are just not sure of the next book to take with you. Here is one of my favourites The Cashmere Shawl by Rosie Thomas, set in India and England.

have a good read Rosalyn

Rosalyn, thank you so much for that recommendation. I downloaded a sample from Amazon, read it in 10 minutes, knew I loved it and I have just bought the kindle version for my iPad.

I'm Welsh you see and the story immediately got me involved.

As Mair would say, Diolch yn fawr iawn.