Ocean Princess (Current) Conditon before Sale?

Harley0711

There is one clear reason they aren't going to let her slip any more than any other ship in the line.

Many who sail in her, until she goes will be first timers and will judge Princess by the standard of Ocean on their first cruise.

They let her slip theyll be lost future return cruisers.

There is one clear reason they aren't going to let her slip any more than any other ship in the line.

Many who sail in her, until she goes will be first timers and will judge Princess by the standard of Ocean on their first cruise.

They let her slip they'll be lost future return cruisers.

That did not stop Princess from what they did on the last cruise of the old Royal per the following link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=210 provided on an earlier post.

I doubt there will be many first timers on the final cruise of the Ocean Princess.

Most passengers will be past Princess passengers who really like the little ship and want one last cruise on it before it goes.

That did not stop Princess from what they did on the last cruise of the old Royal per the following link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=210 provided on an earlier post.

I doubt there will be many first timers on the final cruise of the Ocean Princess.

Most passengers will be past Princess passengers who really like the little ship and want one last cruise on it before it goes.

I agree with you here Bill. I expect this last season of the OP will be full of very seasoned passengers. That said, I also expect there will be quite a few folk from SA as the final season is now being offered not just with the full 64-day voyage but with 5 different segments (two segments overlap). Pricing was kind of interesting BTW, saved over $2,000 by re-booking as B2B2B2B and moved up a couple of cabin categories. Other credits (Shareholder's and so on) made it even better.

We who are already booked are being preemptive regarding how Princess treats the last sailings on the OP. We now have on record two passengers sending e-mails and getting assurances that everything will be as normal. Hopefully there will be more.

Additionally, this being such a small ship, it is easy to get into extended conversations with the management. Asking questions early in the cruise about their plans for the end will be enlightening. Anything contrary to what corporate has stated can be reported back in plenty of time to make corrections.

Edited by beg3yrs

Additionally, this being such a small ship, it is easy to get into extended conversations with the management. Asking questions early in the cruise about their plans for the end will be enlightening. Anything contrary to what corporate has stated can be reported back in plenty of time to make corrections.

I trust you will post if reality is different from what HQ says it will be.

I hope you have a great voyage.

I trust you will post if reality is different from what HQ says it will be.

I hope you have a great voyage.

We certainly will post either way. If Princess does a great job, everyone should know. If they are found lacking, same thing.

Thank you for the good wishes.

We recently sailed on the Ocean Princess. The ship is not run down but the overall services were below par. We had a list of items we were not pleased with. We had never experienced so many issues on a single voyage. It also seemed they were short on staff. Although the ship was great, the service was not. Very disappointing.

I agree with you here Bill. I expect this last season of the OP will be full of very seasoned passengers. .......

That is what we expected, too. However, we were surprised on our August cruise on the Ocean Princess by the large number of blue cards. (The first time we have ever been included in the "most traveled passenger" list after only 17 cruises!) In fact, there were only 22 of us Elites on the 672 passenger ship!!

Over 400 first time Princess cruisers, if I remember the CD's remarks correctly. And over 500 Americans on a UK cruise.

And, yes, the ship is still beautiful, the shops are still full, the crew is second to none. Altogether another wonderful cruise, and we have a new favorite embark/disembark port: Dover!

Edited by UpcountryTravelers
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Completed wonderful 14 day Baltic Cruise out of Dover just one week ago. The ship as my old Army Drill Sergeant used to say "Is standing tall and looking good". Constant maintenance ongoing. Very motivated crew. Excellent food. Caution here as Executive Chef was changing. NO problems with plumping as I have seen on other "older" ships. Very sorry that Princess has sold.

Completed wonderful 14 day Baltic Cruise out of Dover just one week ago. The ship as my old Army Drill Sergeant used to say "Is standing tall and looking good". Constant maintenance ongoing. Very motivated crew. Excellent food. Caution here as Executive Chef was changing. NO problems with plumping as I have seen on other "older" ships. Very sorry that Princess has sold.

Thanks for posting the latest on the OP. We're sailing her last 64 days as a Princess ship early next year and based on two separate e-mails from Princess, we expect her to be fully staffed, fully stocked and full of a wonderful time.

That said, the "proof is in the pudding" and I for one will be sure to post how things went when we return.

Edited by beg3yrs

Thanks for posting the latest on the OP. We're sailing her last 64 days as a Princess ship early next year and based on two separate e-mails from Princess, we expect her to be fully staffed, fully stocked and full of a wonderful time.

That said, the "proof is in the pudding" and I for one will be sure to post how things went when we return.

When the previous small ship was sold, it was only on the final voyage that supplies ran out and shops were closed early in the cruise.

Hopefully, this will not happen to you.

When the previous small ship was sold, it was only on the final voyage that supplies ran out and shops were closed early in the cruise.

Thanks for the good wishes. Over on the Roll Call the horror stories, including yours, are documented. Two members have sent messages to Princess regarding the last season and our concerns. One of those messages was very specific. Both responses, while mostly stock replies, did have some specific assurances.

Being a small ship we should easily meet up with the more senior staff on board early in the cruise. Gently asking about our concerns and evaluating the replies may be revealing. If there's anything amiss, there should be time to correct things via e-mails to Customer Relations and Jan Swartz.

Wouldn't it be nice for Princess to have our reviews of the final voyage be absolutely positive rather than be a list of annoyances?

This won't be the last time Princess sells a ship and look at all the bad press they got and continue to get regarding the last voyage from the previous sale.

We were on the old Royal about a month before the final voyage and it was one of our best cruises ever. Food and service were SUPERB!!!!

• 2 months later...

in that we are scheduled on a transatlantic on her sister ship next year, i have found this to be a really interesting thread. thanks to all and i hope you continue with follow up remarks and experiences.

• 4 weeks later...

We are currently on the last voyage of the Ocean Princess. She looks just as good as she did when we sailed her in 2014. Lots of people are on this voyage that sailed with us then. Seems everyone wants one last hurrah. Staff is spreading rumors of a big surprise during the last segment ...

Crew is fantastic and food is excellent. Stores are well stocked but it is likely there will not be any replenishment during the voyage. Lots of sales are anticipated.

CC M&G was well attended in the Tahitian Lounge with most folks on the Roll Call attending. There's a slot pull scheduled.

Going to miss this ship and its itineraries but that's the way things go. Without changing to meet current times, Princess as a cruise line would eventually go out of business, just like we certainly will due to old age ...

Edited by beg3yrs

We are currently on the last voyage of the Ocean Princess. She looks just as good as she did when we sailed her in 2014. Lots of people are on this voyage that sailed with us then. Seems everyone wants one last hurrah. Staff is spreading rumors of a big surprise during the last segment ...

Crew is fantastic and food is excellent. Stores are well stocked but it is likely there will not be any replenishment during the voyage. Lots of sales are anticipated.

CC M&G was well attended in the Tahitian Lounge with most folks on the Roll Call attending. There's a slot pull scheduled.

Going to miss this ship and its itineraries but that's the way things go. Without changing to meet current times, Princess as a cruise line would eventually go out of business, just like we certainly will due to old age ...

Thanks for posting.

We, too, are very sad to see her go to another line.

We had two REALLY memorable , beautiful cruises on her while she was still named the Tahitian Princess.

Enjoy you cruise!

You can go to Oceana Cruises and see the deck plans for the Serena(ocean princess) Mini Suites are renamed Penthouse Suites and the dining room will be The Grand Dining Room. The photos of the rooms look exactly the same as on Ocean Princess, including the Blue Bed Spreads. Part of the Horizon Court will be the Tuscan Steak house. There is a 14 day Trans ATLANTIC under 4K per person. It would be fun to go on the ship after the conversion,since I am on the last Princess voyage.