Most convenient area of London to stay for sightseeing

Wayfairers

Lots of good advise and suggestions.

The Hilton at the Tower is a bit expensive, so we have narrowed it down to the Waterloo area or the Hilton Doubletree across from Victoria station. We will be arriving from Paris on the Eurostar, and it looks like a straight shot from St Pancras to the Victoria station via the blue line (Victoria line?). So that and the fact that it is on the circle line is a plus. It is a bit more expensive, about a total of 80 pounds more for our 3 nights.... and does not include breakfast. Are there resonable places in that area for a quick breakfast each morning?

The hotel at Waterloo is a bit cheaper, has free wifii and includes breakfast each morning. So... those of you familiar with each area, what one would you choose? Is the area in Victoria worth a little more money and giving up the free breakfast?

Personally I would stay with the Waterloo option. But there is another Doubletree in Holborn -- much nearer St Pancras and a very safe area close to Covent Garden and Theatres.

The best part of the location is that your very near The Cut with the Old and Young Vic theatres as well as som good restaurants and pubs. It is not in the most vibrant nighttime neighborhood.
Slightly closer to the hotel, on Waterloo Road itself, is the Waterloo Bar and Kitchen - a favourite of ours. The best restaurants on The Cut are probably Meson Don Felipe (tapas) and the Anchor and Hope (a highly-regarded gastro-pub).

Slightly closer to the hotel, on Waterloo Road itself, is the Waterloo Bar and Kitchen - a favourite of ours. The best restaurants on The Cut are probably Meson Don Felipe (tapas) and the Anchor and Hope (a highly-regarded gastro-pub).

And then there is TAS with great authentic Turkish food in a lovely atmosphere.

We visited the Churchill War rooms a few years ago, so this trip we want to visit the Imperial War Museum, Bletchley Park and if possible, Eisenhower's headquarters. Can anyone help with directions to these with public transportation and/or a tour company that would pick us up at our hotel? Thanks

We visited the Churchill War rooms a few years ago, so this trip we want to visit the Imperial War Museum, Bletchley Park and if possible, Eisenhower's headquarters. Can anyone help with directions to these with public transportation and/or a tour company that would pick us up at our hotel? Thanks

Bletchley Park , though well worth a visit is quite a way outside London and any coach tour leaving from Cenral London is going to spend quite a while simply getting out of the City. The best way is probably to go by train -- the entrance to the Park is close to Bletchley Railway Station which can be reached from London Euston.

Are you talking about the Cam Griffiss in Bushy Park where Eisenhower had his HQ? It effectively disappeared although the plan of the building used by him has been marked out on the ground. There is a USAF memorial there. Details can be found here.

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/nonrail/bushy-park-camp-griffis-1.htm

It's near to Hampton Court which is well worth a visit if you have not been.

Again it's best reached by train to Hampton station, this time from Waterloo.

The Imperial War Museum has various locations -- I assume you are referring touts main London Home which is just South of the Thames on Lambeth Road. You can catch a 148 bus from Marble Arch, Hyde Park Corner or Parliament Square Westminster or pick up a cab from any where near Buckingham Palace or the Houses of Parliament,

While you walk the short distance from the station, you can remember all those young men and women who did the same walk all those years ago and never told a soul what they were doing.

If you go by train, there is a two-for-one offer:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/bletchley-park

Edited by Bob++

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another vote for the Tower/St Kathrine's Dock area. We found it very convenient to the tube and we were able to walk around the area in the evening when the tourists left.

Here is my mini review of London. You can see how we were able to get to the other areas of the city.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2104112

Lots of good advise and suggestions.

The Hilton at the Tower is a bit expensive, so we have narrowed it down to the Waterloo area or the Hilton Doubletree across from Victoria station. We will be arriving from Paris on the Eurostar, and it looks like a straight shot from St Pancras to the Victoria station via the blue line (Victoria line?). So that and the fact that it is on the circle line is a plus. It is a bit more expensive, about a total of 80 pounds more for our 3 nights.... and does not include breakfast. Are there resonable places in that area for a quick breakfast each morning?

The hotel at Waterloo is a bit cheaper, has free wifii and includes breakfast each morning. So... those of you familiar with each area, what one would you choose? Is the area in Victoria worth a little more money and giving up the free breakfast?

The price of the hotels in the Tower area depends on the time of year. We were able to get a buy 2 get one free at the Hilton last year in late August. YMMV

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

• 1 month later...
You'll be safe enough walking along Waterloo Road to the Station. If you continue walking past the station and over Waterloo Bridge you will be in the Theatre area to the left Covent Garden Shopping area to the Right.

Immediately next to Waterloo Station is the South Bank complex with classical music in the Queen Elizabeth and Royal Festival Halls and Purcell Room and Atherton Hayward Art Gallery. The National Theatre is also close by as is the London Eye. There is a pedestrian walk alongside the river b steen Waterloo Bridge and Westminster Bridge which is perfectly safe to use.

That said, you will be outside the Circle Line so will need to change trains on the Underground to get to many of the Tourist attractions.

Hi,

My husband and I are cruising out of South Hampton in late October on Celebrity. We ran into a couple (both bankers) while on a recent cruise. They suggested that we stay at the 3* Strand Palace Hotel - on the strand. And then they suggested that after our stay in London (4 days) that we take the Waterloo station to South Hampton Central for the cruise.

We looked at Tripadvisor and the hotel website for the Strand Hotel. It was alright in looks, but we felt it a little overpriced. Don't get me wrong...we don't mind paying high as long as the accommodations are nice. We are a bit spoiled when it comes to our stays. :rolleyes:

Next, we took the advice of other CC members to stay at a Premier property. Again, although the rates were lower, the place just didn't do much for us. We prefer something either with local, historical flavor, or properties that are a bit different and charming.

In the meantime, some friends from Germany may join us in London for a few days, so DH and I thought about staying in an apartment. We did so when we made a pre-cruise stay in Paris a couple of years ago. We shared with another couple and it was wonderful!

So, in looking at apartments, I have become so confused on the best areas to stay. This thread is helping somewhat, and I am please to see the Waterloo area mentioned. I have found an apartment between the Westminster and Waterloo Bridges... Dunbar Wharf development in Limehouse. It's on the river and has a view. The Docklands Light Railway, Canary Wharf underground station and Thames Clipper ferry are all within easy access.

Would that be a good area? We are pretty train/subway savvy with our travels. Plus our friends, being Europeans, are very trans savvy. However, we do not want to be too far out or in a sketchy neighborhood.

Thanks for any help advice you can give. :)

My husband and I are cruising out of South Hampton in late October on Celebrity.
One small thing you might want to note: It is not "South Hampton". It's "Southampton" and you will get better results with the correct name if you're doing any searching about that.
So, in looking at apartments, I have become so confused on the best areas to stay. This thread is helping somewhat, and I am please to see the Waterloo area mentioned. I have found an apartment between the Westminster and Waterloo Bridges... Dunbar Wharf development in Limehouse. It's on the river and has a view. The Docklands Light Railway, Canary Wharf underground station and Thames Clipper ferry are all within easy access.

Would that be a good area? ... However, we do not want to be too far out or in a sketchy neighborhood.

And a much bigger point: Limehouse is not between Westminster and Waterloo bridges. It's miles out of town near Canary Wharf - about 5½ miles from Big Ben - and it would take you about an hour to get there by Thames Clipper or about 45 minutes by DLR and Tube.

One small thing you might want to note: It is not "South Hampton". It's "Southampton" and you will get better results with the correct name if you're doing any searching about that.

That was a slip. I know that it's one word. I am just so used to writing it South Hampton. ;)

And a much bigger point: Limehouse is not between Westminster and Waterloo bridges. It's miles out of town near Canary Wharf - about 5½ miles from Big Ben - and it would take you about an hour to get there by Thames Clipper or about 45 minutes by DLR and Tube.

Well now I am confused. Below is the description of location. They also showed a map. The building is on the Thames between Riverside Walk and York Road... and between the London Marriott County Hall and Jubilee Gardens.

"This apartment is situated on the second floor of the prestigious Dunbar Wharf development in Limehouse and benefits from direct river frontage and superb views towards both Canary Wharf and The City."

Edited by Iamthesea

Well now I am confused. Below is the description of location. They also showed a map. The building is on the Thames between Riverside Walk and York Road... and between the London Marriott County Hall and Jubilee Gardens.

"This apartment is situated on the second floor of the prestigious Dunbar Wharf development in Limehouse and benefits from direct river frontage and superb views towards both Canary Wharf and The City."

Trust me, it is not between Riverside Walk and York Road.

Click here (and then zoom out) to see where Dunbar Wharf is.

You'll also have to think about whether that erroneous map arises from an innocent mistake, or whether it's designed to suck in an unsuspecting mug who will be surprised by the apartment's location when it's too late for them to do anything about it.

Digging a little deeper, it looks like that apartment is also for sale and is currently under offer. The estate agent's page gives better details, including an accurate map. If the apartment were to be sold after you book it and before your trip, I suspect that you'd basically get told later that you've been cancelled and you'll then have to start looking for somewhere else.

Thank you! :)

I also noticed that the apartment was listed for sale when I put the details into Google. I do a lot of research before booking anything. Not willing to be one of those "mugs". I suspected that this property was too good to be true, but wanted an opinion of a local. ;)

You have to admit that it's an impressive piece of property, though. More than likely, this apartment was "borrowed" from a sale listing and placed on Tripadvisor for rent. We have seen that happen many times on Craigslist. Have to be careful this day and age.

I think I will stick to one of the two rental companies mentioned on this thread, or go to VRBO. Whew! Now to figure the best area.

More than likely, this apartment was "borrowed" from a sale listing and placed on Tripadvisor for rent. We have seen that happen many times on Craigslist. Have to be careful this day and age.

Can't say for sure in this particular case, but I can say that we once stayed in a flat that was for sale - the owner was letting it out to holidaymakers in the mean time. Found out when we passed the local estate agents, and the picture was in the window... Very nice stay, no problems.

Dunbar Wharf is not THAT far out. It is a five minute walk to Westferry Station on The Docklands Light Railway which is a fully automated driverless tram system. It gives easy access to the City and the rest of the underground network in the West and Woolwich in the East.

I am just so overwhelmed trying to find something. Rome, Paris and Barcelona were much easier to figure out the best areas. Amsterdam a cinch! ;)

London Perfect is out because they require at least 5-6 nights during mid season (October). Looking at VRBO and have no idea which area to pick. :o The City of London has 183 vacation rentals.

Could some one please take a look at this map and point out a good area or two to stay in? These are apartments with London Service Apartments.

MapofLondonapartments_zpsecf82220.png

The only part of this map that I would be (slightly) meh on is Southwark. The places near the Tower are in (or around) the actual City of London, which is the main business district and so may be quite quiet in the evening and on weekends. Otherwise, anything close to an underground is quite convenient.

OK, so it sounds like Southwark is out and we should stay on the other side of the Thames and near an underground (is this the same as a tube?) Thank you!

I would recommend the Park Plaza Westminster. We stayed there last August. It was the perfect location. Check out their website

That is a very different hotel. Fair rates, as well.

See my post #8.. These areas have great transportation to all tourist sights, hundreds of restaurants and classy shops. You may have to shell out some more pounds but it's well worth it.

Have always stayed in Mayfare, Piccadilly, Trafalgar and Covent Garden.

I will check those areas out and see if I can find them on the apartment map. Do you recommend any of the 4 areas over another?