Photo Packages - yea or nay?

AtlFolks

I would love to purchase a photo package as a gift to my parents for their 50th anniversary cruise. We will be on Freedom in June with the whole family and they would love this as a gift.

I've seen various posts that lead me to believe the digital package is a good deal, but that there are issues if you are in multiple cabins and that it can get very expensive very fast.

Thanks cruising friends!

It can get expensive very quickly, but it does sound like an excellent gift. The hard part seems to be finding your photos, but it's not an insurmountable challenge. I would spend a few moments each day ensuring that the photos you want are linked to your account and that should make the purchase easier at cruise end.

Great idea.

Make sure they scope out and find all photographers in port, all over the ship to get a wide variety of pictures.

If they do not they will have a basic selections of at the dinner table -- or infront of port signs.

Good luck

It is pricey.

We just usually get 6 with our C and A status discount (theres 3 of us)

Enjoy

Sea Ya

Might want to think about getting them a used DSLR for the same price. I took a Nikon D40 on my first cruise and my pictures turned out way better. Stick it on P and hand it to a stranger for a quick "hey can you take this picture?" Or better still, hand it to the guy who already has a camera around their neck. They love taking pictures and usually have no worries taking them for other people.

We were on Freedom last year. We checked out our pictures on day 2 and really liked a few. They gave us an "early-bird" deal on the whole digital package (I think like $300 for the disc only, no prints, but the right to print). Not sure if the price would be the same for multiple families - we did have two cabins for our family of 5.

After that we got pictures EVERYWHERE. For us it was a great opportunity to get some family pictures we hadn't done in a while. There are different backgrounds and photographers at each dining level as well as by Studio B, in the promenade, each of the ports, by the pools, in the dining room.

Was every picture great? No. But overall the lighting and set-ups were better than I would have gotten with my own camera. Don't be afraid to say what you want. I am not a fan of the hands peeking out over shoulders, so I say so. But don't be afraid to try something new they suggest. I was thinking I wouldn't like the bright pink "quilted" background but those were some of our favorites.

It WAS a pain to get the disc weeded out (they have an auto-recognition software that does okay but twice I had to remove the same people from our set). Make sure you look through the prints to add ones that don't make it into your photo set. AND definitely check your disc before you leave the ship. Ours was completely wrong and we had to repeat the weeding out process a third time. At 3 am. On disembarkation day. So it's not all perfect, but in the end we were happy with the finished product.

• 4 weeks later...

If other people not in your cabin are in the pictures with you, will those photos still populate in your account? It's not so much he pictures of us we want as much as pictures of us with our parents that would be the treasure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 weeks later...
Would love an answer to above question

Sent from my iPad using Forums

if they purchase the package on the parents cabin all pictures that either one of them are in no matter who else is in them will be included .

We just came off the Brilliance a week ago. Bought the all inclusive print package and we came home with 135 8 x 10 photos. We purchased before the cruise and the package was $199. We usually spend about $600 dollars for photos on a cruise, so this was a wonderful deal.

We bought the CD picture package before our Freedom cruise and it was nice to have. Since I like creating photo books on Picaboo my daughter also took lots of pictures of signs, backgrounds, etc to use in the book. The digital images were easy to manipulate and add details to so it made a great book. We also had one of the best family pictures put on a large canvas (think groupon canvas deal). My daughter wants to do the same thing on our next cruise. Yes, you have to be sure to look through pictures to make sure they're all included but you could assign one person a day to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few follow up questions:

1) Does anyone know if they have the facial recognition software on Adventure?

2) We are buying this as a gift. Can I go up and make sure the right people are in our grandparents pictures? or do the 82 year olds have to do it themselves.

3) What is the current price for the CD of all images? (7 day)

4) What print size are you able to print up to clearly and with release?

Thanks!

We originally did not intend to purchase a big package on Indy cruise Dec. 2013. However after the second night, I decided to go ahead and purchase the CD. Yes it was expensive...but we had three cabins 6 people and four were adult kids. Buying the CD we were able to come home and make all our prints at any place we wanted. If I would have paid for the minimum number of photos, it would have been at least $250 and with the CD we had tons of photos and everyone was able to pick and choose which photos to print and specific sizes. I think the CD was $300. It also came with the release for printing as a PDF.

Sent from my iPad using Forums